Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're doing Chinese prefolds with #2 "due" in September. I'm buying about 5 dozen newborn diapers to start, maybe more. How many covers do you think I should buy? Do I even need covers? Will 5 dozen newborn diapers be enough?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have 24 prefolds, and 8 covers, I think. I am tempted to switch to pockets so havent bought too many more covers. I feel like 8 is enough but not optimal. Every time my 9 mo old son poops it gets on the cover, so I have to either machine wash it or wash it by hand, and then it takes a day to dry. So on heavy poop days (which a nb does a lot), I feel like I am out of covers in one day.<br>
I would buy another five, although if your baby is going to outgrow them quickly, maybe I wouldnt buy more.<br>
HAVE FUN!<br>
Sarah

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like to wash diapers only once or twice a week, so if I bought about 8, that should be plenty if I'm going to use 1-2 a day. I'm just not sure lol.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Ds is a toddler now, so a little different. But I like to have six covers. I wash every 2-3 days, and find this is a good number. I usually rotate two/day, unless he poops and it gets on the cover then it goes into the pail. And if ds is a heavy wetter at naptime, that cover goes into the pail.<br><br>
I find that with 30 dipes, I usually end up doing laundry more because I'm out of covers, not dipes. 8 covers for that infant stage sounds good!

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
I think 1 dozen infant prefolds per day is a good estimate for a newborn. As far as covers go, I had 3 smalls (I have big babies), and I just handwashed them and hung them up to dry when necessary (they got poop on them or smelled like pee). Three was plenty to always have one clean. It's really not hard to scrub a cover with some soap in the sink and they dry fast. But if you want to splurge on cute covers, you can get more. I went a little nuts in mediums, but it feels worth it then-- my little guy's been in mediums for a whole year already and will probably potty train in them!

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
For the newborn stage, I have 8 dozen newborn IPF, 2 dozen fitteds, 1 dozen pockets, 5 NB BSWW, 5 wool wraps, and 5 wool longies.<br>
For the infant (3 months-12ish months)) stage I have 8 dozen IPF, 4 dozen fitteds (most of those are OS or close to it, they last for quite a while, that's why we have so many) 1 dozen OS B.G. 2.0, 6 SM BSWW, and 10-12 longie/shorties. I want to also make 4-6 wool wraps.<br>
For the toddler stage we have 4 dozen IPF, 6 M BSWW, 4 wool wraps, and 8 wool longies/shorties. Plus the 4 dozen OS fitteds, and 1 dozen OS pockets.<br><br>
Of course I make most of my CD's and crochet all the wool stuff, so it's easy to have a ton! I think I've spent about $600 on my stash, which includes all of dd's stuff and what I have now. That's not bad, considering the I would have spent about $1500 on sposies. Plus I can use these CD's for future children, and I can resell them for at least 1/2 of my money back.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Holy cow, that is a lot of diapers!!!! I think mybe two covers a day is a good number...so ten? That way I can wash them about every 5 days without running out.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I had 5 Bummis covers when DD was a nb, and I just barely kept up with her - I was handwashing them every day. If/when I have another nb, I'd add a couple of wool covers, and maybe another BSWW. That way I wouldn't have to handwash (unless it's poo on wool) - just wait 'til laundry day every 2-3 days.<br><br>
I have 5 covers (2 BSWW's, 1 ME airflow, 2 wool) now - but DD is 8 mos and she only poos 1x a day so 5 is enough.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
In the nb stage you need way more covers than any other time. We got prowraps covers because they are the cheapest, and they were great for newborn legs. I think we had 10 or so. I don't wash my covers with my diapers, I wash them with his clothes. So I was washing his covers every day or two. I think 10 covers and 5 dozen dipes will be more than enough! Now I could get by with probably 3 pul covers and 1 wool but DS is 12 months. HTH.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts