Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are planning on using a diaper service with our little-bug-to-be, but I would like to buy nicer covers than the ones you can order through the service itself. How many should I buy at first, in each size? Any recommendations? I am AMAZED at the variety offered through MDC WAHMs, and can't wait to get out and start supporting some of you . . . I just need some guidance! (*grin*)

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
We had four in the smallest size, and six in the next size (still in that) - it works well, we snappi the prefold, and use a new cover when the old one gets damp or pooey, or at the end of the day regardless. We wash our clothes about twice a week and don't run out of covers.

my advice - buy a range of covers in each size, because your baby will change, and your preference in covers might too.

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
I would say 6-8 for a newborn. We had a diaper service when dd was born and I think we only had 4 covers. We had to wash them frequently, but it worked out because we were using sposies also. I'll have to say though that I gave up on cloth with her after not being impressed with only dsq prefolds and proraps. I wish I had tried more types of diapers, but I had no idea what all was out there.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
We used a diaper service in the beginning too... but because we didn't use snappis or pins, just laid the dipes in the cover, we went through way more covers. The poop just got on the covers every time!

So, if you can use snappis, do it! It will cut down on the amount of overs...we needed like 10, so maybe 6-8 would be a more normal number.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by momtoDNJ
I'll have to say though that I gave up on cloth with her after not being impressed with only dsq prefolds and proraps. I wish I had tried more types of diapers, but I had no idea what all was out there.
I'm a little worried about this myself, especially after being impressed by the wide variety of options there are for CDing. I'm a little worried that diaper-service diapers just won't cut it as far as leak protection goes, and that it will result in more clothing/bedding laundry at the same time that we are "saving" on diaper laundry. However, I really don't think I can convince my DH to do it all ourselves; we rent (thus our laundry machines are not our own), we're on a septic system (he is worried about the effects on the tank), plus there is just his general squeamishness about poop in our washing machine, and the extra loads of wash every few days.

It's not that I'm against having a diaper service do all of the washing and drying; it's just that I wish (a) we could use more effective diapers with the service, and (b) that they picked up their washloads more than once per week.

I will DEFINITELY order up some Snappis, PatsGrace; anything to avoid diaper blowouts!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
So far as our D.S. service experience...I felt like we had TONS of leaks. My guy was so big that he started soaking out of stuff real soon. I almost gave up on cloth till I started using better dipes

And I have to say my dh prefers doing it ourselves. Dirty dipes sitting around for a week vs. two days just wasn't our thing....

BUT I was really out of it for the first month
and the service was helpful, just don't get dicouraged if there are leaks, there is better stuff out there!

Hope this helps! Baby wakes...

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
For PUL I use Mother ease covers, www.wigglewormbottoms.com fleece lined covers ( I
these! ) I also have used prowraps and Gerber lined ones. I just trifold the diaper and lay it in. You need to make sure that the brand of cover is a good fit for your little one. I can not use certain covers. They leak every time. Others love the same ones that do not work for me.
You have to try it out. BUY USED until you find what you love. Then order from the WAHM who makes them and sell the rest

For wool: I love Aristrocrats covers......especially at night time. Recycled wool is a GREAT option as well. www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com makes the best recycled wool covers. Plus she is a totally sweetie!

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
Sorry......forgot to answer original question

I always suggest 12 covers in each size.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Don't panic about the potential leak issue - we've been using a service for five months, and the prefolds work fine. (although we went through three covers yesterday! THREE!)

maybe we're lucky that she still eats twice at night (and hence gets changed), so we don't need to boost yet.

You do know that sunflower diaper service has fitteds and cloth wipes and pick up twice a week, don't you? They're more expensive, but if prefolds don't cut it...

But WHY WHY WHY don't all services have wipes and boosters???? I understand them not wanting to do fitteds, but boosters!!!

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unfortunately, Sunflower Diaper Service ONLY delivers to the Seattle area--and we are up in Bothell; not far, but far enough to be outside of their service area.

The service we will be using is the only one available to us--Baby Diaper Service. On the plus side, they do seem to offer fitteds as an alternative to flats, so once I have gathered some more information from the company, we will probably go that route.

I may have to start working harder on DH, though . . . we can try the service for the first couple of months, and take it from there.

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
We had a service for the first 2 months with ds#2 and never had any issues with leaks or anything. It was a great way to ease into cloth, at least for us. For covers, we had 8 - 4 pul (bummis) and 4 wool (sugarpeas wool flannel). That worked really well for us - enough to rotate the pul for airing out, and enough to not run out when we'd need to wash something. I would usually just throw the pul covers in with regular laundry, and the wool I typically washed 2 at a time, so I'd always have 2 ready to go (at least in theory!
).

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Darn, darn, darn! Found a listing for Pure & Natural Diaper Service, which mentioned that they had fitteds as well as flats . . . AND an option for twice-weekly pickup.

Found out upon calling, though, that Pure & Natural bought out Seattle Diaper Service, but no longer offers the "premium" pick-up/delivery, and ONLY offers prefolds.

ARGH!

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
We had been doing our own diaper laundry for our first child (who is now 2) and for the first 5 weeks of life with our new DD. We just switched to a diaper service a week ago. I
it! Previously we used mostly fitteds and pockets. So I was a little worried about how we would do with prefolds. We havent had problems.
We use snappis most of the time, but trifold once in awhile too.

Our service just gives prefolds and no cloth wipes or doublers. So we are doing sposie wipes.
: For nights and outings I use a trifolded prefold folded "the long way" along the prefolds as a doubler. Works great for both my 7 week old and my 2yo.

How many covers you need depends on (1) whether you just trifold or whether you snappi/pin and (2) how you wash the soiled covers. if you are throwing the soiled covers in with clothes you wash in the washer, you need enough covers to last between wash cycles. We wash clothes daily, so getting covers clean isns't a problem. You could handwash if you don't do laundry that often.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, Zeldasmom--it is good to hear from another mom who is enjoying diaper service.

NOW I just have to figure out which diaper covers to buy; I loved the site that AngelBee recommended, and could probably order my entire diaper cover collection from her!

But since I would like to save money, I am thinking I might just buy 6-8 covers in newborn size, and wait and see how the prefolds work for us . . . that way if we decide to switch to AIOs or something later, we wouldn't have too much money invested in covers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.