Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my baby was on about an every two day schedule for pooping. Then she had a couple of times of going every four or so days. Now it's been a week!! When do I worry? She is ebf on demand and is 4 1/2 months old. She seems to be acting pretty normal, not really any more fussy than normal.

My last dd pooped all the time so this is new territory for me.

Jill

·
Registered
425 Posts
It's not unusual for an EBF baby to have only one bowel movement a week at that age. If it ends up being much longer than a week I would come back here and ask again. It looks like it has just been a week, so hopefully she will have one soon.

·
Registered
177 Posts
my babe poops every week or so... i was worried at first but posted the same question a few months ago. she has a lot of gas (really loud and stinky
) but it's nice not having poopy diapers all of the time.
cheers,
marcy

·
Registered
624 Posts
My 6.5 mo ds doesn't poop very often. Sometimes once a week, sometimes two days in a row then not for a few days. It stresses me out because my dd had encopresis and I fear that he will develop it too. Because of my fear I have checked with dd's osteopath, dd's nurse practitioner that specializes in encopresis and their pediatrician. All have said that pooping for a ebf baby can vary anywhere from after every feeding to every 11 days. That's a huge range! All 3 said that as long as the poop is not solid and the baby is not straining (red face, pain) then all is okay. It still stresses me out...

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, mamas. We're still on Poop Watch 2006 but she still seems happy so I won't sweat it yet.

Ah, there's nothing like motherhood to make you obsessed with your child's bowel movements!
:

Jill

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
My 2 month old went a week recently. I was starting to get worried, so I brought her into the tub w/me for a nice, long soak. That did the trick.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
I've heard from a LLL leader that it can be something like 23 days! FWIW, my twins seem to poop about every 5-7 days. I never had a baby that went that long before these two!

·
Registered
879 Posts
Elaina was a twice a day pooper until she hit the 4 month mark. Then out of nowhere, she didn't go got 10 days! After a week, I called my ped and he said not too worry unless she looks like shes straining or in pain. Since then, she's had no pattern. For a few weeks, she was a once a weeker, then every 4 days, then back to once a week and lately she's been going every day or every other day. Poop has never been such a focus of conversation before having a baby!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.