Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many diapers do you honestly need to keep a baby in cloth full time.

This is for a 1 month old baby who obviously still goes through a ton of diapers per day.

I know this can depend on a lot of things ... how often you change them, what kind of diapers you use, how often or how much they wet, etc.

With my babies, they HATED being wet no matter what kind of diapers I tried, we even tried disposables, lol, so we went through about 20 per day, usually it was closer to 24 per day. After a few months, it went down some, but still a lot of diapers per day.

I think it is realistic to assume you'll need a ton of diapers upfront so that you don't get overwhelmed with all the stuff going on after baby is born. I think it's nice to have enough to go a few days without worrying about running out.

We ended up still washing every 2 days or so. We had about 24 fitteds, and 12 AI2 shells and 24 or so AI2 soakers.

Is 24 diapers too few to start out with a newborn?

That is what some sites recommend. Or I've even seen 18 recommended.

· Registered
171 Posts
I have a 4 week old and I bought 3 dozen prefolds and that seems like a good amount for us. I wash everyday or every other day. It's nice to have more so I don't have to wash everyday if something comes up. I would recommend 3 dozen if you can do it.

· Registered
5,316 Posts
since you must have some covers for your fitteds, i think you could get a dozen or 2 pfs to suppliment what you already have, especially since you said you wanted to be able to change the baby qite often.

· Registered
1,598 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mamato3wild ponnie View Post
I have 35-36 prefolds and 3 covers....do i need more covers?
a couple more might be a good idea.

36 for prefolds or 24/26 for fitted's for a good two day wash cycle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.