Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,525 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
I know plenty of vegans who had very healthy pregnancies...

you don't need to eat 2 eggs a day to get enough vitamins and protien.
No, but you can eat 2 eggs a day and be quite healthy. If you want them, and they are well prepared eat them. Don't worry if you don't want them.

·
Banned
4,712 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post
No, but you can eat 2 eggs a day and be quite healthy. If you want them, and they are well prepared eat them. Don't worry if you don't want them.
It just seems like a lot of one food -a common allergen, at that. Also, isn't that quite a bit of cholesterol? I know they recently changed the recommendations for eggs per week, but I'm pretty sure it's not up to 14 a week!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Oh, where did I read it, but eggs are one of the few non-meat sources of the form of Vitamin K bodies absorb well and is essential for brain development in babies (makes sense since it's for the development of baby chickens; wait, not the smartest creatures, maybe that doesn't help my case
).

Anyway, I eat at least 2 a day to help boost my protein, and if I don't have my eggs in the morning I totally drag. I also can't stomach meat right now, and not the biggest bean fan (not to mention they digest badly for me if I eat enough to really be a big protein factor, this pregnancy's thrown my tummy for a loop!).

But I hear the argument that they are an allergen - my 2 yr old still can't eat them. However, our naturopath points to new studies showing exposure to things inutero can actually help child tolerate them. Of course, I also get my eggs organic, free range and straight from an herb farm where the happy little feathered creatures peck amongst the herbs. So, they are super extra tasty, and have all those extra nutrients (same thing I read mentioned the vita k thing is only true for "grazing" free range eggs).

That's just my .02

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
I follow a whole foods blended with TF diet so I'll eat as many a day as I feel like. I'm also picky about where I get my eggs though (looking for pastured chickens fed little or no commercial chicken feed).

·
Registered
441 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mommam View Post
Oh, where did I read it, but eggs are one of the few non-meat sources of the form of Vitamin K bodies absorb well and is essential for brain development in babies (makes sense since it's for the development of baby chickens; wait, not the smartest creatures, maybe that doesn't help my case
).

Anyway, I eat at least 2 a day to help boost my protein, and if I don't have my eggs in the morning I totally drag. I also can't stomach meat right now, and not the biggest bean fan (not to mention they digest badly for me if I eat enough to really be a big protein factor, this pregnancy's thrown my tummy for a loop!).

But I hear the argument that they are an allergen - my 2 yr old still can't eat them. However, our naturopath points to new studies showing exposure to things inutero can actually help child tolerate them. Of course, I also get my eggs organic, free range and straight from an herb farm where the happy little feathered creatures peck amongst the herbs. So, they are super extra tasty, and have all those extra nutrients (same thing I read mentioned the vita k thing is only true for "grazing" free range eggs).

That's just my .02
Your eggs sound yummy! And I'm glad for your 2cents!

I must be needing protein, because I've eaten more eggs in the last 2 months than I have in the last years. Several times a week my body tells me I want eggs for breakfast. I was actually excited to dye easter eggs this year- just to have the leftovers for egg salad (oh yum, curried egg salad w/ cashews) and deviled eggs! Thank God my ds likes eggs now or I'd be in trouble! We have french toast, scrambled eggs, and breakfast eggs sandwiches every week!

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
I have been eating at least 2 every day. It's what I want for breakfast.
:

And actually, I *just* read an article about a study that said baby chickens could count (recognize which group of balls was larger than another) higher than human babies. So there, my baby will be as smart as a chick with all of these eggs.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I eat two a day. A hard boiled egg in the morning and one for a snack.

Or a plate of scrambled eggs, whichever.

I did this with my last pregnancy and my son has no allergies to eggs or anything else (that we know of at the moment).

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I've been eating almost two a day, it's one of the only breakfast foods I can stomach that will stick with me for awhile. Last pg I couldn't touch them, didn't eat eggs again until ds was 6 months old.
Normally non-pg I eat around 4 or less a week.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My midwife told me I could eat as many eggs as I want, even 5 a day if I felt like it, and not to worry about creating an allergy. Eggs, full-fat cottage cheese, and whole milk are very good ways to put on weight in pregnancy, as opposed to caramel macchiatos or cupcakes, since carb and sugar weight is harder to lose postpartum. Now if you are trying to limit your weight gain, run far from the eggs. I'm definitely not going eat that many eggs when I'm not pregnant, but for now I'm all over them.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
I eat at least 2 organic eggs for breakfast most days. My family's normal weekday breakfast is a little bit of cooked grated potato mixed in with scrambled eggs - the perfect balance of protein and carb for us. We frequently have a little fresh fruit as well. I think eggs are an awesome nutrious food and I don't really worry about the cholesterol. When I was pregnant with my 2nd I craved eggs and there was days I probably ate eggs for every meal lol!

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I love eggs. I usually have 1 each morning in a sandwich for breakfast. It gives me energy and tides me over for quite a while until a snack before lunch.
I ate eggs with my other two pregnancies and both children have always loved scrambled eggs, no allergies.

I read somewhere recently that it was the opposite of possibly causing allergies and that consuming a lot of peanuts, eggs (and other common foods that cause allergies) were okay when pregnant and might actually help the child not be allergic to those foods.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I think that you shold eat as many eggs as your body wants while pregnant. I ate 2 per day for the last 2m of my last pregnancy. I was having trouble gaining weight and the MW said I HAD to eat at least two eggs per day (plus 1 cup of ice cream
). And I loved the eggs. I continued to eat them several times a week since ds was born (now 15m) and my cholesterol is now the lowest it has ever been. Go figure!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.