Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Realistically - how many hours each night consecutively?

I've never been able to sleep through the night, so I don't expect that from my 7.5 month old, but I amazed at how many people I talk to that complain that they have to get up once or twice a night.
Really? I wouldn't know what to do if I only had to get up once or twice. I guess it's all about perspective right....

Right now he's nursing about every 2 hours (even though we co-sleep and nurse side lying I can't sleep through it)

It certainly takes a toll after a while - I think if I had a good 4-5 hour stretch at the beginning of the night I could function pretty well.

What could you get by with?

· Registered
937 Posts
I think everyone is different and that it depends on so many other things. Stress levels, whether you are working or not, if you have other kids, ect all play a part. Personally I have not slept through the night since I was prego with DS - almost 4. Currently DD almost 2 gets up every 2-3 hours at night an I do just fine even with the long term sleep depravation. However if I go to bed later than usual or on the day after the one day a week I work this does not work for me. I am exhausted. Luckily dh lets me sleep in one day a week which really helps. On the nights that someone is not feeling well or she is teething and I am getting up at least every hour then I am cranky and sleep deprived. If you don't have any other kids then try and nap with dc during the day - if even for a 1/2 hour. It will help!

Good luck!!

· Registered
66 Posts
Right now, she gets up every 90 minutes to nurse back to sleep. If she's teething, it's every 45. I think if I could get a solid 5 hours without waking and then she was up only every 90 minutes, things could be survivable. As it is, being pregnant and exhausted from that, I'm really dragging now.

· Registered
1,772 Posts
Even when DD sleeps longer than 2 hours, I still seem to wake up, so saying DD sleeps through the night, I'd be happy if I could sleep say 4 hours without waking myself up. As for DD, I think I would by happy with 4 hours straight for her too.

I too find it hard to have sympathy for someone who complains about a child getting up once or twice a night. I know everyone has difference circumstances, but I can't remember a night DD has woken up less than 3 times, but it's usually 5

· Registered
3,030 Posts
I can't sleep through the night either so I don't expect Ella too. That being said she usually sleeps 3-4 hour stretches and I am so happy with that. The nights she wakes up every 30-90 minutes (like last night) suck, but I know it's usually only a once a week thing so I'm happy.

· Registered
27 Posts
I would love it if DS would sleep for two hours at the beginning of the evening so I could have some time to spend with DH (insead of 30 minute chunks with 30+ minutes of settling in between). After that, I "dream" of having 4 hours, but would also love 2 hours - right now we are teething and up every 45m to 1.5h. We too co-sleep and nurse side-lying, so it's not unbearable, but it would be nice to have some consecutive hours! I tolerate it pretty well but I really miss a little evening time with DH.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.