Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering, because normally I can't stand to eat cheese... but it seems this pregnancy, I have been craving it non-stop! Things I normally love to eat, I can't stand the thought of....

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I am...

I have been craving Raw Broccoli... (never could stand it raw or cooked)

Last time it was cheese and mayo sandwiches...

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I'm more the second half... I LOVE cheese normally - but really, I can totally do without now. Same with ground beef (not a LOVE thing, though - just an it's okay thing) - don't even like to be around it being cooked.

Only thing that has definitely been a stronger desire while pregnant is chocolate - it seems like I'm fighting off the urge to have it hourly where I used to think about maybe having a piece once or twice a week.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by gen_here
Only thing that has definitely been a stronger desire while pregnant is chocolate - it seems like I'm fighting off the urge to have it hourly where I used to think about maybe having a piece once or twice a week.

That's funny, me too...except my vice is chocolate milk.... but I only allow myself to have one glass per night because it's so fattening!!!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I had a half-pound of calf's liver at dinner the other night. I hadn't eaten liver since I was a kid. I couldn't even remember what it tasted like. I only knew I really, really craved it. I had to call my grandmother to ask her how I should cook it. It was heavenly.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herausgeber
I had a half-pound of calf's liver at dinner the other night. I hadn't eaten liver since I was a kid. I couldn't even remember what it tasted like. I only knew I really, really craved it. I had to call my grandmother to ask her how I should cook it. It was heavenly.
I think my morning sickness just came back....

That's funny, I remember hating liver as a kid and I still won't touch the stuff!

·
Registered
360 Posts
I've gotta echo hopeful1 here and say EEEEWWW to the liver. Blech.

I have had an almost total aversion to ALL Asian food since the very beginning of this pregnancy. I think it's something about sesame oil that's just killing me. Makes me really sad since generally I eat/cook a lot of Chinese and Japanese food. Now the idea of even smelling it makes me wanna ... :puke. Yuck.

Luckily I can still have soy sauce. My life would be empty without it.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BabyBumblebee
poutine (Paxye, don't you dare laugh
) - french fries with cheese curds and gravy. Mmmmmmm had it tonight for supper
:

raw cauliflower and broc.
I would never laugh at Poutine... Where I get mine it is made with fresh cheese curds made the very same day from the fromagerie that is across the road from it...
hmmm.... cheese curds....

·
Registered
871 Posts
Liver is a great food for pregnant women, many cultures have traditions of feeding it to pregnant and nursing moms!

I craved milk in my first pregnancy and I was pretty much disgusted by it my entire life. I drank it every day and after I gave birth, I didn't want it as much. With this pregnancy, I started drinking whole raw milk, which is easier to digest than pasturized/homogenized milk and I am in heaven. I don't worry about the extra fat, because it is a healthy fat that babies and pregnant moms need a lot of. Check out the traditional foods thread on the MDC Nutrition page.

I do think it is important to pay attention to cravings. Craving chips might mean that you need more salt, so try a baked potato with some sea salt. Or craving McDonald's might mean that you need more fat, so go eat a whole milk product or dip something yummy in olive oil. Even chocolate has something in it that helps your body process iron, so you might want to eat something with high iron content (beets, green vegetables). I do eat a good bit of dark chocolate, I just try to limit it because it has a lot of caffeine!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BabyBumblebee
poutine (Paxye, don't you dare laugh
) - french fries with cheese curds and gravy. Mmmmmmm had it tonight for supper
:
I've never heard of poutine.... I know it's french but is it something you can get here in The States? Or do you just make it yourself? Sounds interesting.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I haven't heard of it anywhere outside Quebec/Eastern Ontario...you could certainly make it at home though....it's sooooooo yummy and gooey and good.

You need a pile of freshly made FF potatoes, and then you put a handful of fresh cheese curds (never ever grated cheese!) on the top, and pour over a generous amount of gravy...preferably from a can for that really salty goodness
:

Eat whilst it's piping hot, and enjoy!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How weird, but it sounds yummy to me too... I think I'll have to try it... especially since one of my odd cravings happens to be for cheese. Do you use brown gravy??? Or just whatever you fancy?

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hopeful1
How weird, but it sounds yummy to me too... I think I'll have to try it... especially since one of my odd cravings happens to be for cheese. Do you use brown gravy??? Or just whatever you fancy?

Authentic poutine is made with poutine gravy which is like a brown gravy (but a bit more salty and sweet)... If you can't buy cheese curds then you can always cube some fresh mozzerella... (go for the really fresh stuff though)

The fries should not be string fries (though it works it doesn't taste as good and the texture is off) but should be the greasy truck stop fries....

It is stick on your ribs and behind and thighs and hips food... but it is good!!!!

Here is a cool poutine info site... http://electron.mit.edu/~gsteele/poutine/

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
All of this talk of Poutine has given me the biggest craving... DH has a Chiro appt and we have to eat supper quick... I think that I am going to pick him up and head straight to "La belle Province".. one of the best places to get the greasiest and tastiest poutine...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Now I want poutine!
You can get it quite easily in NS & NB but not the "real" poutine...it's usually made with grated cheese. I've made it myself with grated cheese when I can't find the curds. Grated cheese poutine is better than no poutine imo. I also tend to use chicken gravy to make my poutine. Probably making some sort of poutine that would make the real stuff blush then vomit.

Lately I've been wanting orange pop. Odd since it isn't something I usually like. I don't think I've had any (without liquor anyway) in the last ten years but the other day when getting groceries I wanted some. Here I can only get Fanta, not Orange Crush which is what I'm used to. It isn't the same but I got another bottle today. I'm not that thrilled with it but I keep buying it for some reason.

I was craving milk but my midwife told me to take a zinc supplement to see if that helped things. Now I'm down to about 2L in 24 hours...I was up to close to 4L. The milk we get here in Stockholm is packaged in tetra packs that are unclosable.
: Who wants to leave their milk open in the fridge? I hate it but it hasn't slowed me down from drinking the milk.

I also had a craving for eggs. I'll eat eggs but not often. I got to the point where I was eating 4-5 eggs at a time. Slightly excessive. I'm now taking a folic acid supplement to take care of that. I was slightly disgusted at myself for eating that many eggs in one sitting.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.