Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DD's 9mo and takes two naps a day and sleeps about 9-10hrs at night (no, not straight through!). It used to be 1-2hrs in the morning and 1-2 hrs in the afternoon, but it seems to be slowly decreasing, especially the afternoon nap. I have heard of some 10+ mo old babies who only take one nap, but my DD is usually ready to drop after being awake for 3hrs.<br><br>
then again, it takes her forever to fall asleep at night after her afternoon nap (she'll wake up at around 4:30-5pm and go till 9 or 10pm!!). she may be overtired by that point, i don't know. would one nap help her go to sleep at night easier or is it too soon for that?

·
Registered
9,322 Posts
My 11 mos. old is like yours: ready to go back to sleep after 3 hours - sometimes less!<br><br>
She sleeps about 9:30pm - 7:30am<br>
Then she is "willing" (even if she doesn't totally need it) to take a power nap at 10am before we have to leave for daycare at 11am<br><br>
She naps after lunch for about 2 hours. And about 7 out of 10 nights she also takes an after-dinner nap from 6-7:30.<br><br>
I'm amazed that she sleeps so much, but she's starting to be less willing to do that morning power-nap, and for the evening nap sometimes she'll just lay quietly and talk and sing for 45 min. or so. Sometimes she just seems to need "chill-out" time rather than a real nap.<br><br>
I've always gone by her signals, rather than try to steer her schedule, but maybe for your baby it might help to skip a nap.

·
Registered
744 Posts
My 11.5-month-old sometimes takes one nap and sometimes takes two. For a while he was on an every-other-day schedule (first day 1 nap, next day 2 naps). Now we're all fighting colds and he's back to 2 naps.<br><br>
On the days he took 1 nap, he didn't necessarily go to sleep any earlier. But why don't you try it? I was worried that having a few 1-nap days would mean that there would be no more 2-nap days, but I've learned it's not a point of no return. If your baby is sleepy, you can go back to 2 naps!

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
My dd and ds went down to 2 naps a day (from 3) around 9 months. I recall they napped from 9-10:00am and about 1-2:30pm. It varied of course, but that was their typical napping time. They slept about 11 hours at night.<br><br>
They did not drop their morning nap until they were about 18 months old. When they did that, their afternoon nap extended from 1:00 til around 3:00, and they also started sleeping an extra 1/2 hour or so at night. This remains now at age 2.<br><br>
HTH!

·
Registered
448 Posts
well my 11.5 ds usually sleeps three naps, and just the last few days seems to be changing to two. Before his three were 40-60 min each, now it seems like he may be combining his two early naps into one a little longer and then keeping the afternoon? At night he sleeps 10-12 hours (still nursing a few times in there)

·
Registered
261 Posts
They're all different! My ds (11 mos.) takes two. That is...when it fits the family schedule...he's a second child and must go with the flow some days. This means it's often one nap. Yesterday, he had a 2 hr. one in the am and a 1.5 hr. in the afternoon. That would be unusual. His older sister was only taking an afternoon nap by 9 mos. (though had been trying to get it through to me for a while that she wanted to drop it before that!) She was very precocious, curious, interested, mobile,verbal, and just plain needed less sleep. She's thrived on 11 hrs./24 from that age. My son is so different. He needs more like 13 -15/24. He should have been a first child! He would have gotten the sleep he needs more easily!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts