Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom just told me that a newborn poops 12+ times a day! Oh my gosh. How many little bitty diapers do i need. I have 24 prowrap all in ones, they are so little and cute. Plus I have 12 prefold premie size, 12 hour glass shaped organic diapers and good bunch af flannel liner things ( doubblers mom callls them)and a few other odds and ends of stuff.

I can't believe they poop so much!

Our little peanut is not due until June so I do have plenty of time. I guess I have bought stuff way early but i LOVE cloth diapers.

Thank you very much,
Kaitlin

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well, my last one (who is now 8 m.o.) would not only wet/sometimes poop between feedings. But she seems to poop during every feeding as well! And she ate every 2-3 hours. So, with whatever system you decide to use - you should have 12-18 diapers minimum.

It sounds like you have a good supply already :) Good luck!!

·
Registered
669 Posts
My 1st 3 kids pooped 3-6 times a day, this last baby poops once a week

I have 3 dozen diapers in the stash, and I wash every other day (have two night wetting toddlers, and another toddler still in dipes FT) But I only wash about 12 of the nb's at a time.

My baby is 4 weeks now....HTH!!!

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
Yup, some poop a lot. I remember when ds was teeny that I'd change his diaper before nursing because he was uncomfortable, then as he was eating he'd poop again (I assumed it was to make room for what was coming in) and I'd change him again when we were done. There was maybe one diaper a day that was just wet - we went through tons of wipes.

But ds has turned out to be super regular - at the very least he poops once a day, at the most it has been 7 times a day when we went a little overboard with fresh fruit a few months ago. Right now we're at 3 times a day.

So the moral of the story - get *lots* of wipes. You'll need 'em.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
It really varies- some poop 12 times a day. My dd started out pooping 3-4 times a day and took it down to once or twice by about 6 weeks. It's usually suggested to have 36 diapers for the newborn stage- that's what I had and it worked great. Oh, enjoy the wool- I'm jealous. I'm sensitive to wool and so is my dd so we never got to use it...
but it's so soft and cute on the little ones.

-Angela

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
For the first 2 to 3 months, my DD was going through upwards of 30 diapers a day. At least 10 were "messy" by 3 months, more prior to that.

Now (at 14 months), she's still a frequent wetter, and easily uses 16-20 diapers a day.

To others, that seems excessive, but for us it's normal.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
We went through about 15-20diapers a day with our newborn and nearly every one had a tiny bit of poop. At 10months old, she does about 20diapers every day and a half so it's still pretty frequent. And she poops in about 3-4diapers every other day now. I'd have 4-6covers, 3 dozen diapers, and 4dozen wipes or so for a newborn.

Meg

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
I think we went thru 12-15 dipes a day in the beginning. My baby pooped almost every diaper change, so make sure you have enough covers for your diapers that are not aio's. I think 3 dozen diapers is a good amount with atleast 6-8 covers. Your baby may slow down and eventually go as long as a week without pooping but when it happens it will be huge and more than likely a blowout! I think I much prefer the smaller more often poops

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.