Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I could have started a topic called "random questions from Kelly" haha!

I am extended-stay-relatives-free now and thinking alot more about the whole finding a practitioner thing.

There are a handful of midwives - some that are in a birth center, some that operate through a hospital - here that are covered by my insurance. (we pay through the nose so my cheapness in not leading me outside this circle of "covered" folks) And about 250+ OBs....

I'm asking around at my next LLL meeting which is Friday, which should give me a good selection of both OBs and MWs I would think....
how many did you interview?
I guess I am antsy since the main MW at the Birth Center won't be available to interview till Jan....

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I only interviewed 2 mws because we have a pretty small selection. If I didn't like them I would have found a few others to interview but I liked the 2nd one I interviewed alot and knew she was the one for me.
I think the more you can interview the better if you have them available.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
Last time, we interviewed one. We liked her and she came with a recommendation from the MW that attended my dsd's birth.

This time, I'm not interviewing any. During my last pg, I had pre-e and transferred care from our original homebirth MW to a nurse MW. I love the nurse MW (had a great birth experience even though it was in the hospital) and have been seeing her for well-woman care. So we'll just stick with her.

Whomever does your birth should just feel right to you. Whether it takes 2 or 10 interviews, you'll probably know when you find one that clicks.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I was planning to interview two and only interview more if I didn't like one of them. It turned out that the two I liked the looks of most work together, so I get both of them. I interviewed one of them and was really excited about her. Then I had early spotting and went in for an appointment and got the other one. She is great too.

I think you should just interview as many as it takes for you to feel comfortable with someone. I went with the first person I met last time (an OB) and kind of ended up regretting it. Not so much because she was bad as because I didn't feel like I had fully explored my options. This time I don't think I'll regret it, perhaps because I already have an experience to compare it to.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
With DS I got pregnant while we were living in Salt Lake so I interviewed 5 midwives there (3 HB, 1 BC and 1 hospital-based CNM). We moved home to Portland at 7 mo and I interviewed several more over the phone.

This time I only interviewed one. We planned to use the same MW who attended DS's birth but she's pregnant and can't be the primary MW so she referred us to her friend who I really like so we just went with her.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Last time I interviewed 4. This time I have interviewed 2 and adore both of them-- having a really hard time deciding. I chose badly last time.

I would definitely interview some more between now and January if I were you. I interviewed the head of the birth center here last time and it was awful. She announced that I would have an amnio automatically because I was 35! I would try to talk to as many as you can, until you find someone that you love!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
We goi to a Parenting Naturally group that meets weekly at our local birth center, so I was lucky enough to have met several midwives there at different times over the past year. I knew who I didn't want to work with immediately and the midwife that I liked the most will be on maternity leave around the time this baby is due, so I met with the woman she works with. I feel good about her so I made my appointment with her for later this month.

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
Personally, I would interview out of hospital midwives first and see if you like any of them (unless you know you really want to birth in a hospital). Keep interviewing until you find one you really like. Last time the first midwife I interviewed I knew was the one. This time I'm still interviewing (my mw moved to canada
).

·
Registered
918 Posts
None. I had DD in a different city, so whenever I went to LLL meetings (here), I kept my ears open for OB recommendations. There was one OB who everyone raved about (if you went the OB route), and I knew I wanted him. I actually had to get on a waiting list (since he's a solo practioner and actually spends time with his patients, so he limits the number of women due in a particular month.) The women who I talked to one the phone at the office have been soooooo nice.

I had to go the OB route since DH is a physician and wanted an OB and the hospital I will deliver in (the one where DH works) doesn't allow midwives.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone!! I have the list narrowed down to two of each- two MW (one at a birth center, 1 at a hospital) and 2 natural birth friendly OBs that deliver at a very posh, brand new hospital with whirlpool tubs to labor away in....

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Whoa a hospital that doesn't allow a totally legit type of practicioner???
That makes me sad.

I have interviewed MWs sporadically for the last year or so. But now I am starting in earnest. I may also throw a homebirth doctor in the mix for kicks.

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kellykins View Post
Thanks everyone!! I have the list narrowed down to two of each- two MW (one at a birth center, 1 at a hospital) and 2 natural birth friendly OBs that deliver at a very posh, brand new hospital with whirlpool tubs to labor away in....

Though I will say, if they don't let you deliver in the labor tubs, your might not want to go that route. Last thing you want to do is climb out of a nice comfy tub when it's time to push!

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
This time, 2. My previous m/w at the birth center, and another HB midwife that many of my friends went to and loved. I decided to go with the HB m/w

·
Registered
428 Posts
So far, 2. I like both of them, but I'd like to do some more shopping around just so I *know*. I also know a few other midwives in the area, but my personality just doesn't jive with them in the way I'll need for this birth. I'll probably do 2 more interviews.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.