Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18,845 Posts
Nope.

It was not one of the common concerns during the 1950s, either, and it isn't one of the childhood diseases which has been forgotten by today's parents.

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
None. I do remember a child I went to school with having it but she was around 11 or 12. It was acute hep b and she was off school for a few weeks, but she came back, so I assume she fully recovered.

·
Registered
18,845 Posts
I actually looked at the Department of Health stats for juvenile Hep B here in Vermont. We have a low rate on the birth dose of the Hep B vaccine, around 21% when I reviewed it, probably 2012. Anyway, that year there was a single juvenile case in the state, in a teenager.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just curious... have you ever known a small child with Hep B?
This is more of a teenager/adult disease as they become more sexually active. Even at this stage it's so hard to identify that the individual even has it. Many times you will here that it's highly contagious, 100 times more contagious than HIV or herpes. Not true, most people that acquire HIV or herpes know they have it. Whether or not they want to tell their partner in a conscious state of mind is their choice. Hep B on the other hand many people don't know they have it; and yes, contagious through motivation.

This is one of the reasons they give the vaccine as a baby is born. Hep B can hang out on vaginal walls and spread that way. Unfortunately the vaccine is not affective as the babies immune system is not established fully and is 100% focused on nutrition and proteins from the mother.

I have never seen a child with hep B personally.

·
Registered
18,845 Posts
The high risk of Hep B in infancy and toddlerhood is one of the pro-vaccine myths, IMO. It is true in some countries, mostly because of misuse of left-over vaccination needles for delivering all sorts of medical treatments, but the risk in the US is very low.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sigh,I was given the Hep B shots when I was in high school, um, maybe, 14 to 15 years old. (i skipped 1st grade so maybe I would have been encouraged towards this vaccine earlier…I don't know). I don't think my mother, who took me to the health department to get these shots would have if she really thought about the ways one might get Hep B. And this was in 1996 or so. I was not sexually active, I had (nor have) a blood transfusion. So, why must we risk the long-term affectations to one's innocent immune system? And in the past 5 years, knowing my husband and I aren't carrying Hep B be so compelled to give a random shot to our newborns?!?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts