Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For another few weeks, I'm a SAHM. I can immediately in the mornings pump 5-6 oz in about ten minutes, and freeze it. My milk supply is fine for DS the rest of the day, and I don't usually pump anymore that day. I have about 60 oz in the freezer as of this morning. (we've occasionally had to defrost some, of course, otherwise I'd have more.)

In a few weeks, when DS is 4 months old, I'm going back to work PT. I can pump at work, no problem.

I just wonder how many oz others are pumping/freezing? And I know it varies . . . some can't at all, and I know one that can do a quart! I just wonder what the average is. How much is in your freezer?

· Registered
222 Posts
DD is 3.5 mos old. I pump sometime in the morning, after she is satisfied, and usually get 4-5oz in 10 minutes or so. I've been doing it mostly all along, though, and I can't really pump any other time of day.

Now, about that stash, I have around 60 oz or so, too, but I just this week discovered that I have the lipase issue, and that may be why DD is refusing the bottle. She will actually take fresh milk just fine, but doesn't care for my frozen milk. I have started scalding it, though, and hopefully it'll be fine.

Oh, I work one day a week in the office, and then a few hrs from home, so no need for a huge stash. Just some for that one day.

· Registered
205 Posts
My DD is 3 months old. I work outside the home 5 days a week. On average I pump 12 oz a day, divided into 3-4 pumping sessions. DD eats about 9 oz a day, so by the end of the week I have an extra 12 oz or so that I can freeze. I don't have to worry about producing extra to freeze, as I built up a large freezer stash right after I had her. We had some problems figuring out how to nurse so I was pumping like crazy, but DD wasn't eating much. I probably have 300+ ounces in the freezer.

· Registered
3,698 Posts
I was just about to post about this issue...I had been pumping in the afternoon (when my brain started working) but only got 1 or 2 oz. After discovering I had the lipase problem and throwing out nearly 100 oz of frozen EBM
I started pumping again and discovered that pumping in the morning is awesome! I was able to get about 3 oz only 1 hour after DD had nursed (she still nurses every 2 hours). So, if I pump in the morning and in the afternoon (about 1-2 oz.), I can get about 5 oz. per day. Not much but then I'm only going back to work in April so I have time to rebuild my stash.

· Registered
226 Posts
I get anywhere from 8-9 oz during the day total in 3 pumping sessions (I work 4 days a week). This is enough for my babe, but not enough to save any. So I pump whenever I can after she goes to sleep for the night. I find that if I pump in the morning this throws her whole day off. I've never been able to pump more than 1 oz/hour, wish I could, but I guess my body just doesn't make/hold more than that.

I luckily pumped like crazy starting a week after she was born and have a ton in the freezer. Thank goodness I did because it's hard now that I'm back to work.

· Registered
3,129 Posts
I'm going back to work in mid-January and started pumping at 3 weeks pp. I only pump once a day on one side the first feed of the morning (read first feed out of bed
) I get between 4-6 ounces just from Righty while Hazel dines on Lefty. I'm not freezing anything and figure I'll be able to store up enough milk for my first day back to work each week in the fridge. Then she can have the milk I pump at work on the second day. Hopefully it will work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.