Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
I'm probably the wrong person to ask - I hardly used them. I leaked so much they didn't do much at all and they just made my bra lumpy. (And seeing as how I prefer tight-fitting clothing that didn't work very well.) Since I was lucky enough to stay at home while the supply stabilized, I just spent a lot of time with no shirt on. I honestly don't remember what I did if I *had* to wear a shirt - but I know that I had one three pack of cloth pads and that was enough for the ocassional run somewhere.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It depends on each individual. I'm sure some people barley need them while others leak all over, I leaked a good bit the first month or two, but I don't wear the pads any more (dd eight months) I think I stopped wearing them at about two 1/2 months. I don't think I ever needed more than one pair a day. Also depends on how often you do laundry. So for me, 6-8 pairs of cloth pads were good, so if your not sure that would probably be a good place to start, you can always get more as needed. Good luck.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I leak occasionally and maybe only a few teaspoons at a time, and that sometimes when naked (like in the shower) or braless (in bed). I have eight pads but have never used more than four before the baby's clothes needed washing. I confess that often I don't wear them, because I just don't care that deeply if my hanging-out clothes get milk spots on them, and the leaking isn't as bothersome as the pads are lumpy. Sometimes if I think the non-occupied breast will leak while I'm nursing, I temporarily tuck the burp cloth in my bra. I have occasionally used breast shells when having a sore nipple, and have found those more useful (they also collect leaks, though that isn't their intended purpose).

Based on my experience, I would say get just 4 (2 sets) and then see how it goes when you've had your baby. You may find you don't use them much, and if you do you can get more and use baby socks or baby washrags or flannel wipes as a (lumpy) stopgap!

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ugh - I leaked a lot too and they I also hated how they made my bra lumpy - but I used disposables the first time around. I HATED them! lol (I has been suggested that I try block nursing this time around to deal with the leakage problem - will see how I leak this time around though first...cause seriously, I had a supply to feed the world! lol)

But I found these (the invisipadz) - and I have read some really great reviews on them....so everything I hated about it, these sound like the right ones for me! I just don't really know how many to get as I have never used cloth ones before!

I am also buying those lilypadz - but wanted to have some cloth around too!!!

4 (2 sets) sounds like a good amount (will be doing a lot of laundry due to using cloth nappies as well hehe) - I may just make it 6 (3 sets) as I will have to order these from America and don't want to do that more than once due to postage prices! lol - but I will have the lilypadz as a backup I guess. I just have never used the lilypadz - and am not sure how I feel about the idea of 'blocking' a leak rather than just letting it flow and absorbing it iykwim? - Though I know the lilypadz have had great reviews!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I wear my washable pads every day (DS2 is 3 m/o), and wore them until about 6 months with DS1. I leak quite a bit, so sometimes change pads mid-day. I have about 20 pads (or 10 sets). Hated disposable ones, they would get lumpy.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I had about 30 cloth pads! I never used the disposable ones, and I hated putting them back in even if there were just a little bit wet. I don't use them very often anymore - only when I go out. I quite often leaked through them at the beginning, but they helped sometimes during the day!

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I had 2 sets of cloth but they never got used. Until DD was at least 3months old (which is ironically when my supply issues began) i leaked about 2oz from the non-nursed side every time i nursed. So i used Lanisoh disposables instead.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.