Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what is OK for a 3 month old.

I just got her back to breast 100% in the last few weeks after she was not transferring enough milk. I have also had supply issues that have seemed to resolve with herbs and Domperidone.

I always hear that a baby should BF 8-12 times a day. Most days, she only wants to eat 7 times a day and I will pump once more before bed to freeze milk. Today, she is very tired (growing?) and it may only be 6, with the way the day is going.

Is this OK for my supply? She sleeps through the night, but other than that, I don't let her go more than about 3 hours inbetween feedings. Sometimes, I will have to wake her from a nap to eat at 3 hours and she is happy to see me (big smiles) and happy to eat.

Should I be directing her feedings more? She seems to be a much happier baby when I just let her sleep when she needs to and let me know when she wants to eat for the most part. The only problem is that in the evening, sometimes I still don't have enough for the last feeding and will have to use the Lact-Aid.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
33 Posts
i have a 3 1/2 month old. she can go about 2 hours between feedings, if she's napping then longer. i've been on vacation these past two weeks so now i'm nursing her whenever she seems to be interested which could be ever hour and a half. i can't wait till she regularly goes to 3 hours between feedings. so if i counted it would be around 10 times a day! yikes, that sounds like a lot. but she's growing well so who knows...

·
Registered
353 Posts
My 5 wk old nurses every 2- 2 1/2 hours in the day and 4-5 hours at night. With a general count I'd say he nurses about 9 times a day cause he eats a little more frequently between 6pm and 9pm. Sometimes he'll go 3 hours if he is swaddled and taking a nice nap in the middle of the day. If it gets to 3 hours in the day I will unswaddle him if he is swaddled or stop the swing if he happens to be in the swing. Then he will wake up a bit and start to make hungry noises and movements (his breathing quickens and he starts to wave his arms around and suck his fingers).

·
Registered
94 Posts
my 2cents FWIW
I have a 6month old that until he was 5mos old we had a nice little routine of nursing about 4 hours a day for a nap/snuggle session bc I was so tired and my older two were at school. When the older ones suddenly were at home for the summer our 4 hour nursing/nap sessions together ended and he had to nap on his own this was fine with him but I found over the next month that he didn't really cry to nurse so I would "get things done" or play with the older ones, thinking he'll cry when he needs to eat (my older twins were formula fed after 8wks due to supply issues) Well long story short he was crying at feedings and just seemed hungry and I started my period all in the same month I tried to blame one on the other but it came down to the fact that the less you nurse the less milk you produce the older you LO is the less your body sees it as a milk factory.

My LO has slept through the night since he was 3mos old and I've never pumped he is EBF so he was only nursing maybe 5=7times a day (not enough IMO to keep a supply up but I jsut didn't know that) I started nursing every two hours, offering the breast without him asking of course and LOW and BEHOLD he would eat BOTH SIDES, and I started waking him at midnight for a dream feed (while he slept) and my supply increased and he stopped screamign after feeding...I felt terrible that he was telling me there wasn't enough but thankful for this board to have told me to nurse more...

IMO NURSE OFTEN.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all of you for your feedback so far. We've been through a rough first three months and I just want to make sure that I don't end up backtracking!

twinsplusone1 -- What you said really made sense. I have just assumed that she would let me know when she wants to eat, but then yesterday I started to add it up and and realized that maybe the number of times isn't what it maybe should be. Even with the Domperidone, etc, I have always HAD to offer both sides. Nursing her closer to every two hours would help I'm sure.

So after your revelation that you were not nursing enough, what was the longest you would let your LO go during the day without nursing? I'm thinking specifically about naps, letting her get the sleep and nourishment that she needs, but also making my supply stronger. She seems to have gotten a pattern down where she will take some little cat naps during the day, but likes to take two longer naps. (One in the morning, about two hours after waking and eating twice and then one in the afternoon.) Usually she wakes herself when its been about 3 hours between feedings, but if she doesn't, then I will wake her up. Did you still go only 2 hours or so inbetween those feedings, when a nap was in there?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I would nurse before the nap and after but my LO is a napper too...he at 3mos would be up an hour and down an hour when he's awake I nurse him now (at 6 almost 7mos) every 1.5-2hours bc of the fact that he's such a sleeper. I'm still doing the midnight feed on both sides and my supply is great I actually love the feeling of full breasts when he wakes in the am (which today was 9am yippee)

IMO just nurse or at least offer more than you'd think necessary if you're trying to build supply. I have never pumped and really don't want to.
Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts