Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am now 32 weeks pregnant.
It seems logical to say that I am 8 months along, when asked.
However, my girlfriend swears this is untrue...based on how many weeks are really in a month...
(My last pregnancy, this simple question posed no problems).
I guess it feels silly to say "32 weeks" - sounds neurotic to me...
but, I realize that a normal pregnancy can go 10 months, or, even 42 weeks...which impacts how many weeks and months we are along...(sorry to be confusing)
So, give me some clues here...
:
:
:
:
:

·
Registered
642 Posts
This confuses me too, I go by weeks myself. But I will tell you how The Pregnancy Book by Dr. Sears breaks down the weeks months.

1-4 (month 1)
5-8 (2)
9-12 (3)
13-16 (4)
17-20 (5)
21-25 (6)
26-29 (7)
30-33 (8)
34-40 (9)

Seems strange to me, but I'm not about to argue with William and Martha :LOL

So I guess a solution for you might be to say "I'm in my 8th month" instead of "I am 8 months". Or how bout...I've got two months to go :LOL

·
Registered
484 Posts
I've personally never understood the month calculation in pregnancy because it never works out which always confuses me. When you do the math you find that 9 weeks is exactly 2 months, so I would think that at 32 weeks you would be 7 months pregnant, (+ 1 week), but I know that is not how everyone else sees it.
In fact if a women tells me how far along she is in months I don't get it and always ask how many weeks.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by EmbersMOM
This confuses me too, I go by weeks myself. But I will tell you how The Pregnancy Book by Dr. Sears breaks down the weeks months.

1-4 (month 1)
5-8 (2)
9-12 (3)
13-16 (4)
17-20 (5)
21-25 (6)
26-29 (7)
30-33 (8)
34-40 (9)

Seems strange to me, but I'm not about to argue with William and Martha :LOL

So I guess a solution for you might be to say "I'm in my 8th month" instead of "I am 8 months". Or how bout...I've got two months to go :LOL
not to mention the problem of whether you count starting from two weeks before conception or not... the Sears claim they aren't counting those two weeks when they give you those weekly breakdowns, but then why do they go to 40 and not 38?

there's also the confusion between being 9 weeks pregnant and being in your 9th week. not the same! even if you count from LMP, you are 9 weeks pregnant at the end of your 9th week/beginning of the 10th week. so if you're 9w2d, you are in your 10th week... or by the Sears' calculations, i think that would be your 8th week! makes my head spin, and i'm a math geek.

today i'm 18w0d by LMP counting (actually counting from 2 weeks before ovulation, not my real LMP!). by Sears, that would mean I'm starting my 17th week. guess that means i'm 5 months pregnant, woo hoo!

now don't ask me where the trimester breakdowns go!

for non-parents, i tell them pretty vaguely (have been saying 4 months for a while). for those who have btdt, i'll say it in weeks. i've also considered just dividing weeks by 4 and then saying i'm 9 months pregnant from weeks 36-40, but then i'll probably get people bugging me about hurrying up and having the baby! it also means i wouldn't get to be 5 months pregnant for another two weeks - so maybe i'll count the sears way

-rosemary

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
I've always read that pregnancy months are lunar months....4 week months. SO yes you would be 8 months at 32 weeks. Pregnancy, when counted from lmp, is really 10 months long...at 40 weeks you are 10 months. When counted gestationally, it is 9 1/2 months, which is probably where the whole idea of a 9-month pregnancy comes from.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shirada
When you do the math you find that 9 weeks is exactly 2 months, so I would think that at 32 weeks you would be 7 months pregnant, (+ 1 week), but I know that is not how everyone else sees it.
This is exactly how I see it.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I've never liked the Sears chart, because the ninth month has 2 extra weeks in it...and that's just getting to 40. If you go OVER, you'll feel like you're in your ninth month forever.

I just look at the calendar and figure out literally how many months I've been pregnant. I believe I got pg around the end of December. So Jan, Feb, March, April, May...I'm not quite 5 months pg.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I go by calendar months. 9 calendar months from my conception date = about my due date. Good enough for me. Now that I have one calendar month to go, I say "I'm 8 months pregnant." Meaning I've completed 8 entire calendar months, and I'm in my 9th month but haven't completed it yet. Our culture doesn't usually measure time in lunar months, so I think it can be confusing to people to say "I'm 24 weeks, that's 6 months!" It's definitely not 6 calendar months. I don't think it really matters though. It's one of those "whatever blows your dress up" sort of things.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Yup, I know this dilemma!

Try telling a stranger on the street that you're 25 weeks along, and they look at you like you've given them archaic calculus that requires an abacus and a moon calendar!

I printed out a pregnancy calendar long ago with all the days from LMP to EDD listed as Xweeks+Ydays, and I highlight each day as it passes, and then I can always count how many months I see there to explain to passerby. So, i'm now "about 6 months" to the average bear.

·
Registered
961 Posts
LOL, my stepmom is forever bugging me about how many months I am. She'll ask me how far I am, and when I say "X weeks", she immediately say "but how many MONTHS?" And I never have an answer because I just don't keep up with the months. Too confusing. LOL.

I usually just tell passerbys my due date, or how many months I have LEFT.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.