Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how much detergent I should use for washing diapers. I know you should use half of the recommended amount for washing diapers, but what if you have a water softener.<br><br>
Should I reduce that amount to 1/4 of the recommended amount?<br><br>
I plan on using Allens Naturally if that matters.<br><br>
Amy

·
Registered
289 Posts
I've used Allen's with my softened city water and could only use a teaspoon or less (I would recomend starting with less and then going up). I know this doesn't seem like much but Allen's is very concentrated and it really only takes a little detergent to clean diapers. With diapers less is best or you end up with stinky diapers and/or diaper rash. I know all the literature says use 1/4 of recomended amount but don't do it unless you have really hard water.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
We have a home water softener as well. I used maybe a 1/4 of the recommended amt when we had our top loader. When the TL died and we bought the FL, I had to adjust things. I use Tide HE and I only use <b><i>maybe</i></b> a teaspoon to 1 1/2tsp of detergent. This seems to work well and the rinse water is nearly suds free. Now when I do just regular clothes, I use about 1/4 the recommended amt. For dipes I use CPFs and FBs- and so far no stink or repelling. Good Luck!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually emailed Allens Naturally and they suggested 1/4 of the regular amount. So I guess I will try that and see how much suds I get on the rinse cycle.<br><br>
Thanks,<br><br>
Amy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts