Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my DH's family has been less than supportive when it comes to us choosing a home birth, natural birth, water birth, etc. They haven't been "against" it, but they certainly love to voice their opinions and concerns about it all.

Today we're at my nephew's 1st birthday (my SIL and BIL's son) and one of my husband's cousins starts into him about how she overheard me talking about doing a homebirth/water birth. She thinks its silly and not safe and blah blah blah. Keep in mind this woman doesn't want children, thinks that birth is just a mess, and is about as outspoken as anyone I've ever met.

Well, my DH just let her have it! He basically put her in her place and told her to keep her opinions to herself, especially considering she's never been through childbirth, nor does she want to have children. And his exact words were "If my wife is comfortable having our baby at home then that is the most important thing. And I don't care what you or anyone else thinks, but we are having this child in our home and he or she will come into this world safely for it."

So, she just turned red and was half apologizing saying that she was "just kidding" and that he shouldnt' get his feathers ruffled over a joke. And he continued on saying how her sarcastic comments have gone far enough and he doesn't want to hear her passing judgement anymore on how we choose to birth and then raise our child.

YEA!!!!!! Omigoodness, I couldn't believe it. And you wouldn't believe how much sweeter she was when she came up to me the rest of the day. I hadn't overheard the conversation between DH and her and for the life of me, I couldn't figure out why she had gone from "sarcastic cousin" to "sweet cousin" in a span of 10 minutes, but whatever. It was the first time that my husband had stood up to his family (or one of their members) about our birth...I'd been feeling like it was me against his entire family and it had been really difficult answering all of their questions and dealing with their opinions.

I'm so so happy....sorry this was so long and it probably was all over the place, but I"m just so thrilled that my hubby is finally comfortable with standing up to his family now!

((doing the happy dance around my livingroom))
:

·
Registered
594 Posts
Wow!! What an awesome guy! I would be totally floored if I were you. OMG Did you take him right home or what

·
Registered
479 Posts
that's so great! i wish mine could stand up to his family - you tell him WTG!!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I'm so proud of him! I've felt like it was an uphill battle by myself over the last few months but I think he finally just had enough of it all. I think he took pride in what he did too b/c he re-interated it all to me last night. He kept saying how unfair it was for his family to judge without knowing anything about why we chose what we did. Yea for DH!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts