Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We only seem to have one shop within the city (read: accessible to me by bus!) that sells Organic Turkey (they represent 14 local organic farms). The birds are primarily grain-fed I believe (I know it's not ideal).

The price for them is CAD 5.49/lb and frozen is a 10% discount.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I just bought two local, organic (but not certified), pastured turkeys for $75.00. They were each 20 pounds, so that would come to less than $2 per pound. (They are currently packed in ice in a cooler in my garage, as I can't fit them in the freezer -- there's room in there, but the turkeys are so big, I can't fit them through the door.
I'm waiting on delivery of a deep freeze I just purchased. I'm hoping it gets here soon!)

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Here's a somewhat related question. At our local health food store, we can choose between either an "organic turkey" or a "free range turkey". My dh wants to buy the what he calls the 'happy turkey' (meaning free range)
but I'm wondering if the organic turkey is more healthful? I don't know. The organic one is, I believe, more expensive. (Both are somewhat exhorbitantly priced, IMO.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.