Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yay, today's my EDD and........nothing doing. My midwife advised that I start taking EPO (I know many of you have already been taking it), but she didn't advise on the dosage. How much do you take, if at all? 500mg 3x/day? 500mg 6x/day? Any vaginally or all orally?

Actually, similar question for raspberry leaf tea -- I'm starting to drink it 2x/day. Enough?

Thanks!

·
Registered
902 Posts
When I was pregnant with ds, I took 2 orally and 2 vaginally (at night) and did this probably for about one or two weeks.
That was self dosing too, no one told me how to do it, etc.
For what it's worth, I was 2-3 cm for two weeks, then when I went to the hospital to be induced, I was already at 4. But I had already had a previous labor, so that could be part of it.
My midwife suggested to really ripen your cervix to place SIX of them beside your cervix at night, but I am uncertain as to if this is just once or if it's for a few days or what. We didn't talk much about it because she said with someone like me it was pretty much a waste of time.

And turns out I think she was right. I went from a mushy cervix to one that feels completely thinned out with a bulging bag in about 2 weeks' time on my own!
So here I am the human time bomb

Anyhoo, mine were 500 mg; I don't know about rrl tea. I think you can overdo rrl, but epo is something that you really can't overdo, but please don't take my word for it.
Good luck to ya!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I have been doing EPO for a little while too. The bottle says to take between 2 to 6 capsuls daily, so I've been taking around 4 (when I remember). I was inserting 4 vaginally, but since I get up every hour or so to pee, they would all wash out right away and it seemed like kind of a waste to me.

So now I put in maybe 2, and if I'm really wide awake in the night and have "lost" the first batch to the toilet, I might put in another. I don't know if this is doing anything, but it is kind of fun to be doing something. I'm thinned to about 70% right now, and a little dialated. But I could be that way without the stuff too, I'll never know!

And the tea? I don't know of any recomendations for servings, I would find out though before you start taking massive amounts! I have been drinking maybe a cup a day or every other day.

Good luck!

--Grace

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Just to comment on the Red Raspberry Leaf tea, I've been drinking this throughout my 3rd trimester--it's just a uterine toner and doesn't put one into labor or anything. I've read some moms think they might have more BH if they drink it but don't think that would have any effect on real labor starting.

I drink it to help tone my uterus for more effective labor contractions and of course, for afterwards to get my uterus back into shape.

~~~~ surge vibes ~~~~ to you, anatoily24

1 - 5 of 5 Posts