Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started this in another forum but decided to bring it here.

How much $ do you typically have after all your bills are paid, 401k (or the like) contributions are made and food is budgeted for?

I'm feeling really bold in asking you all this since I don't know you each personally? I'm just wondering as I feel that I need to be more frugal with the money that we do have left over.

We've finally gotten out of credit card debt when we moved but I need to get our savings built up, I am a super frugal fanny with not wanting to have *ANY* type of unnecessary debt and it makes my skin crawl but I'm finding it hard to save as my dh's salary has increased b/c we have so many *needs* that we've put on the backburner until recently that I feel like we're catching up, however it would be so easy to go right back into debt if we don't create a buffer zone!

Still separating the needs from the wants!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Our leftover money varies every month due to unexpected things like car repairs, dental bills, home repairs, etc., but we try to be able to put $500 in savings every month.

It is really hard to not spend the extra that we make a month, but now that I am seeing my savings grow, it is such a nice feeling.

Frugality is so hard. You have to make the decision in your mind that you are not going without by not spending the money, but that you are making an investment in the future or toward something that you really need.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
almost nothing. But, it is our goal, after we pay off our car, a loan, and some debts that we will put that money away instead of spend it since we have gotten used to not having it. KWIM? That won't be for about a year but it feels good to pay things off in the meantime. since we had the baby we are much more frugal. when I think of the money we used to blow on going out to dinner, ect, it make me sad cause I wish we had it now.

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
It's kind of complicated to figure out because DH sometimes gets OT and he gets quarterly bonues.

If he were just getting straight pay with no OT we would have about $700 after rent, gym, karate, internet, utilites, car insurance, cell phone, gas and food.

We are building a house at the moment and a lot of our leftover cash goes to that. Once we move in there we will no longer have rent to pay (or a mortgage as we own it outright) , we will also have lower utility bills because the house will be more energy efficient.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
We have NOTHING left at the end of the month
Until a few weeks ago, we had about $200 that would be moved to savings, but now, nada. DH's boss just cut DH's pay by 25% b/c the store that DH manages wasn't "producing" the last 2 month, his boss won't take a cut in the profit margin and "something had to give" (it ended up being DH's paycheck). DH is looking for a new job, but things are slow where we are so we're struggling. DH's paycheck just about covers neccessites and we have NO debt. It's quite frustrating
:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Less than nothing. We have just enough to cover bills excluding food & gas (we can cover the mortgage, utilities, insurances, and the horrid credit card bills), but it's up to me to scrape together what I can to cover food and gas and misc. expenses. We're relied on various cushions in the past to make up the deficit, using credit cards here and there, making the tax return really stretch, a small work bonuson occasion - that sort of thing. The past few months we've been determinedly living without using credit cards, and it's a day to day struggle. We are ridiculously frugal, I work parttime, and do other things to raise what money I can (watching kids here and there, and honestly, if it wasn't for Ebay I don't know what we'd do). It's so, so hard. I don't know how we're going to pull off even a very modest back-to-school budget. I keep telling myself that these are the financial consequences of being a SAHM with a modest single income, but I'm tired of it.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
We have nothing left over because we are doing a zero-based budget and "every dollar has a home".

Seriously, if I start thinking of the money as being "left over" is magically gets spent on stuff we don't need.. so into savings it goes.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I Pay the savings acct just like a bill every month, so money goes into savings before I have it left over, if that makes any sense...therefore this is little tonone left over in the checking acct...but the savings is growing!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
We have a ER fund of savings not to much but some... then each month right now we have not much left at all around $300 but it's all budgeted in for gas/food/ect... so not really left over at all... we are going to be losing out house payment in a few weeks soon... but we are also buying a home but our monthly payments will go down, and my dh just got a new (not new but new department) with a very nice nice pay raise... we will soon having much more "extra" money but i'm sure soon after it will all find a place! LOl

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Right now, we have nothing "left over." Hopefully starting in September, we'll have a little bit to start building up our savings again. Between two of us living on my income and the sperm purchases, we're stretched very, very thin right now.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SRHS
I Pay the savings acct just like a bill every month, so money goes into savings before I have it left over, if that makes any sense...therefore this is little tonone left over in the checking acct...but the savings is growing!!
That's a good idea. I had dh's direct deposit set up for the "surplus" $ to go into a savings acct- maybe when the loan is paid off I will do that again.

Now I have a loan that I want to pay off ASAP- which means NO surplus.
When it's paid off and the only debt we have is mortgage I think we will have about $800- though I suspect I will want to buy a car so drop that to about $400 for savings everymoth.

I CAN""T WAIT TO PAY OFF THAT STUPID DEBT.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everybody for sharing! And thank you for the ideas.

We just moved and dh got a pay raise. We used the extra money from the move to pay off all of our credit card debt so we were free. Nice feeling!

However b/c we've had such a backlog of needs (from when we had $0-200 left over/mo), true needs (like our clothes are falling apart, they are 8-9 yrs old) to fill that I didn't work as hard to build a savings and sure enough our car needed some repairs so we are back $800 on the card. However we have $800/mo left over so we can actually get it paid off quickly.

I have realized that savings is not an option. We're going to start to pay $200-300 each month until I can build up to 500/mo. Right now we also pay 10$ of our gross income in tithing for our church and we have had a lot of blessing b/c of doing that including the new job with a better income and house to live in.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
less than nothing left over here. dd's broken finger was close to $1000 and Dh had some planter wort and bunion issues that was over $1000 and it wiped out any savings. the bills are still coming in so all the monthly extra go towards that.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
We technically have about 900 dollars left at the end of the month. I say technically because every penny we have left over goes into savings for the 6 months that I'm going to be student teaching. It will be just about impossible for me to work, so I'm working extra hours now to prepare for that.

Under normal circumstances, we have about 400 left to go into savings.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Right now it is between 100 - 200/mth leftover.

The above is post mortgage, pre-school, savings, car insurance, utilities, phone, credit cards and groceries/other.

I am putting most of my extra money onto credit cards, so what is left over may go to cc. Once the cc is paid off I will have 600 extra per month - some of this will go to savings, other will go to house account etc.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Depends on the month. $$ is automatically depsosited from DH paycheck into our retirement funds and then we put $$ in the savings and DS college fund. Then the rest goes into checking for the bills, food, mortgage, preschool, entertainment, and the list goes on... This month we will have less left over because I have been hitting all the good sales for clothes for DS.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hopeelise
You have to make the decision in your mind that you are not going without by not spending the money, but that you are making an investment in the future or toward something that you really need.
I think I'm going to paint that on my office wall......

What an excellent way to word it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.