Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking a pre-natal, can't remember what it's called off the top of my head, but it has folic acid in it. The midwife at the health food store that I bought it at said that I should also take folic acid, so I bought some, but I can't remember if she said to take two a day in addition to the prenatals or one a day. Can you overdose on folic acid?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I'm almost positive that folic acid is water soluble. Unless you take an unbelievable amount, you won't overdose. However, your prenatal vitamin probably has more than enough folic acid. Unless you are prone to carrying babies with spina bifida, you probably don't need a lot of additional folic acid. I wonder why the woman at your health store would suggest so much more.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
some say 400 mg, some say 800. check out <a href="http://www.marchofdimes.org" target="_blank">www.marchofdimes.org</a> (i think they say 400??) i am taking 800, just because that's what's in my prenatal.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My prenatal has 800 - that's what I aimed for in all 3 pregnancies. I also eat foods high in folic acid like spinach and green leafy veggies (most days - as long as I can stomach it!)

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's all coming back to me now. I think she said I should be getting 1 gm, so I suppose that is 1000 mg. So it's probably safe to take more than recommended by most?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts