Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much grains does your 15 month old LO eat?

The standard for this age is 6 servings/day, and they count 1-2 tablespoons as a serving. I don't know why they say 1 to 2 spoons.
If 6 servings = 6 tablespoons, my LO eats enough grains .
But if 6 servings > 6 tablespoons (because 1 serving could be 2 tbs), my LO doesn't eat enough.

Please tell me how much yours eat a day.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Micah eats a lot of grains....bread, pasta, cereal, rice. I think that he eats more than the recommended amounts, but I have not heard 1-2 spoons. I believe I read that half a slice of bread and a 1/2 cup of pasta or rice is a serving. Micah can down 2 slices of bread and a whole banana for breakfast (which I think is 2 servings of fruit and 4 servings of grains), and be hungry in an hour.

I usually don't stress about how much he is getting of each group. I offer some from each and follow his lead. If he needs more from one group or another, he will ask for it. Some days he eats more fruit, others it's more veggies, and others it's more grains. Lately he has been on a cheese kick. I think that his body will crave what he needs, so I just offer healthy choices.

ETA: I found a web site that puts toddler portions in a more "user friendly" terminology. HTH!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DD isn't breastfeeding.
In the same website that ShyDaisi recommended, but in another section, it says a serving of bread is 1/4 slice. I think perhaps 1/4 is right for my 15 month old DD. Your DS may be older so 1/2 slice is the right amount for him.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I've read in several places that with toddlers there is no need to obsess over how much they're getting in a day but rather look at their eating over the course of a week. Offer healthy variety (not garbage) and assume they have a good idea of what their body needs.

That said, DS still nurses like a fiend so I don't worry much about how much or what kind of variety of foods he eats (beyond offering healthy options)

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
Jessica, I know it can be hard when you're a new mom but please try to relax. It's ok. Give her a variety of healthy foods (which it sounds like you're doing) and let her decide what (and how much) she wants to eat. Try not to obsess over each new food (and food category.) It might not seem like she's eating very much but young toddlers often don't.

The advice the PPs gave you also goes for toddlers who aren't nursing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.