Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a letter in the mail the day before yesterday from my college inviting me to apply to the Honor's Program. I have only completed 1 class the first semester and 1 full semester and have a 4.0, which, to me isn't really anything special cause they were all pretty remedial classes - I hadn't been in school since 94. So, this semester is my first semester with what I consider "college" level courses. How much more difficult would joining the Honor's Program be? My stress level is pretty high. I have 2 children, 12 and 4 and my husband is overseas for a year. All the letter says is that joining the program usually constitutes an additional 12 credit hours devoted to Honor's work and that I will need atleast 2 semesters to complete this work. Like I said before I am only considered a 2nd semester Freshman.<br><br>
Any advice? I do plan to carry this through graduate work and am in a science field. How much easier would it be to place in my programs (B.S. and graduate programs) if I graduated with my A.S. with honors? Is it worth it?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I'm not sure of your program, and how much weight it will have in the end, but for me the classes were substantially harder and moved much quicker. I struggled thru the ones that I didn't have much background in. I did like being in the honors program because it allowed me some flexiblity in which classes I took. The program allowed me to bypass a bunch of entry level pre-reqs with 300+ kids, and instead focus on the classes I was really interested in. That was my program, 8 years ago, so yours might be different. I'm not sure its made much difference since I've graduated. There's an "honors student" on my diploma, right under bach of science title, but I've only had one teaching job, and I was hired in right after student teaching (meaning, they knew me and weren't just looking at my transcript).<br><br>
I'd check with a counselor or ask them for an alumni's name that you could question. I wouldn't jump into it unless you are pretty sure its going to help you. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
At my university "honors" mainly meant you had to write a really long research paper your senior year. If you think grad school might be in your future, it's probably a good introduction to what grad school work is like, and doing well in your undergrad honors program is probably good on grad school applications. Otherwise, I'd personally think it's a LOT more work than is really necessary to get the BA/BS on your resume.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Where I attended, Honours only implied taking two more semesters worth of classes, although these had to be at a 300 or 400 level. The first three years were no different from what someone not in an honours prog. would have done. The question is, do you really want to add another year to your studies? And I assume the answer depends on how benificial it would be in getting you accepted in further programmes. I don't have any idea about that, though, because I went straight into an HBSc and then I was done.<br><br>
e.t.a.: also, I had about 15 hours of class a week, and did all my studying and paper writing when ds was sleeping. He was born during my second year. I think kids are easier during your studies than when you are working!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I did a general honors and honors in my major - both were great because the classes were small and focused. I got to know the professors really well in the Honors classes, and it was those professors I turned to for reccomendations, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts