Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd, 4 weeks, Bf's almost 24/7. I am not complaining but i am wornout. She seems to only be happy if my tit is in her mouth.Sometimes she is sucking and other times she just holds the nipple in there. She has now been on the breast for over two hours, if i try to pull her off she starts sucking again like she is starving.I LOVE BFing her but am wondering if it is too much.
I have learned to Bf in the sling, while i am in the bath, at the computer, folding diapers, eating and even walking down the street(inthe sling).She is happy as long as she is on the boob and she is gaining weight, how could she not. Will she ever want to justlet me or my dh just hold her without bfing or will she be like this for the next 3-4 years? I havent made my bed in a month!! and last week i went 3 days without a bath.
any suggestions,
Kaitlin
:

·
Registered
42,824 Posts

Those first couple of months are SOOOO hard. But, yeah, totally normal. Rent some good movies. Get some books. Get dh to clean like crazy when he's home. Take pictures. It will all be different in a month or two.

-Angela

·
Registered
8,658 Posts
Oh! She's still little, don't worry!
You will get to bathe soon, I promise.

Just think of the wonderful job you are doing establishing bfing- with a great start like that, no temporary crimp in your bfing at 1 or 2 is going to dry you up! (And you will be thrilled to nurse round the clock when the first rotavirus goes around, & your babe is the only one you know not in the hospital with an iv from dehydration.)

Reading while bfing is a fine way to pass the time.

Have fun, & it'll get easier! I promise!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Also offering some hugs here! Ds was a boobaholic too and it was hard, I learned to do practically anything will nursing too. But at some point I just gave in and accepted it, lol, and turned myself into a bookaholic. I read a LOT in those first few months. Ds (10.5mos) still nurses a lot all day and a few times at night, but things are easier (and harder) in different ways. Sorry you're feeling worn out! Try to lay down as much as possible while nursing (especially since you're nursing so much!), keep your fluid intake UP and eat lots of good whole foods.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Totally normal. In 8 months when she's nursing while entertwining her toes in your hair and jamming her fingers in your belly button, you'll wish you could sit on the couch for an entire day of nursing! haha It's rough when you have a "marathon nurser" but just another kind of normal. There's nothing you can do that is BETTER for her than letting her nurse as needed. You need to master the side lying nursing position though if you want to sleep well. Good luck & keep up the good work - just remember all that nursing is growing a little person!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the quick responses!!I am sitting her with my sweet baby girl in my lap, on my boob and i do love it and i KNOW she does too.She just looked up at me and gave me one of those little half smiles with one eye open and one closed,she is so sweet.
I know this will pass and i have been reading like crazy and i watch 2-3 movies a day.Thanks for all the support.
Kaitlin

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
When my ds was that age I could have written a similar post. Yes, as the months go by more than likely your babe will settle herself into some sort of routine-ish type nursing. As they get older and learn how to nurse more and more they can extract it a lot quicker and it won't take as long (usually) DS would nurse for up to an hour sometimes. One friend of mine pretty much nursed all day long in the early months. That's what they did for the day, in the chair, reading or watching TV, nursing.

My biggest piece of advice, especially in the early months: Forget about the non-essential stuff and nurse. Sleep when the babe sleeps, but if you aren't tired when she's sleeping, do some of the things you've been wanting to get done...BATH time, chores, whatever. It can be all-consuming, it really can be. Sometimes you can't get anything done that day. And it's OK. It really really is.

And Shell really brougoht up some good points...lie down while nursing (I WISH I had done this when ds was younger!), drink tons and tons of water, eat good whole foods...those will help keep your energy up.

As your babe gets older, more alert, more interested in things around her, it will be easier to find ways to amuse her, engage her, do things with her, and not be nursing and be able to get things done. It sure dosn't seem like it now but I promise you will get there! My ds did....he still eats a lot but not as long as he used to....but then he's a snacker too

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Kaitlin, you're doing GREAT!
It is totally normal for things to be this way at first - but, before you know it all that will be behind you. You likely won't even notice, one day you'll just think "hey, this is great!"
Good luck to you!

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Just a little tip I wish I'd listened closer to- get pictures. Get pictures of that sweet tiny baby on your breast, because they grow SO fast!

-Angela

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna
Just a little tip I wish I'd listened closer to- get pictures. Get pictures of that sweet tiny baby on your breast, because they grow SO fast!

-Angela
OMG! Can I just totally second this advice???
GET PICS! Of that & everything else also. I have only a couple pics of Avery nursing - where I was all engorged & my boob is bigger than her head!
I'd give ANYTHING for more like it! I have more recent ones but you can never get those 1st few days back!

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
I remember when ds was that small, I learned to knit. I would just sit and nurse for the entire day it seemed. It seems like it was just a few days ago but now my boob-o-holic is sitting on the floor building with blocks. At least she is making sure you establish a good supply.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
It will get better!

I had a "suckaholic" too, but she would scream when she was full of milk and still wanted to suck - she never figured out how to suck without getting milk. I let her suck on my finger and finally gave her a paci, but only after she was done eating. She had either my boob or the paci in her mouth 24/7 for the first 8-9 months of her life, it seemed. And then she suddenly didn't need the paci anymore. We never weaned her from it, and we still give it to her at night to help her go to sleep (she spits it out once she is in a deep sleep) and in the car (although usually she doesn't even want it in the car) - otherwise she does not need it/want it at all. So, I'm not saying to get a paci (honestly I'm afraid I'll be flamed to BabyCenter and back for this post
: ) but it's what worked for us...and at the time it seemed like the only option...besides having my finger in her mouth at all times, which I found interfered with activities such as eating and going to the bathroom.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts