Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>T a r a</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">I can only pump around 2oz total. How much do you think DS gets when he nurses? Any thoughts?</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
I would suggest asking an LC to weigh him before/after he nurses and figure it out that way. Pumping CAN be an indication but not necessarily. I know some low-supply moms can only get out so much and it's a problem, but when I nursed my DD1, I didn't pump well but I didn't have a supply problem.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I wouldn't bother with a lactation consultant unless you have other reasons to worry (like slow weight gain or too few wet diapers). I have never been able to pump more than 2 oz at a time, lots of nursing moms can't. It doesn't really have anything to do with how much the baby is getting. If your baby is gaining weight and healthy then I'm sure he's getting enough.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Breastfeeding " don't need to know what's going in" "just be sure of what's coming out" IF you baby is gaining weight well, and haveing enough wet, dirty diapers then all is well. I have a 9 month old and on a GOOD day can pump 2 oz off both sides with my pump in style, now i know dd isn't only getting 2 oz per feeding or she would be starved at 9 months old! LOL But she is in the 90% for her weight and hight so she's getting pleanty and i we use about 10-12 diapers a day... HTH!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts