Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to see how much other people's 4ish year olds sleep in a day.

My son sleeps 12 hours a day in one stretch. It seems to me if he slept one more hour each day that would help (him) a bit more, he seems tired. Today by 5pm he was practically begging to go to bed (he has an early bedtime between 6-7pm). He won't nap at all, though.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
My 3.5 year old DS sleeps about 10-12 hours at night but doesnt nap during the day. He gets cranky by bedtime and fights it. When he does get a nap during the day, which is maybe like once every few weeks, he doesnt go to bed until real late and gets up at his usual time.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
DD gets about, 9-10 hours a night. She's in bed by 9, asleep within 30 minutes, an hour tops, and is awake between 7-8am

She naps on rare occasion, and usually only when not feeling good. That can last up to 3 hours, and she'll still sleep her normal at night.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
My 4yo sleeps 10hours(8-6), my 3yo between 10 & 11 but often 10 since the 2 of them sleep in the same bed. Neither have naps, haven't for a very long time. My 4yo will fall asleep sometimes and almost always asks to go to be at 8, sometimes 6 or 7. She has a heart defect and gets tired quite easily.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
My ds1 who will be 3.5 in July, hasn't napped since right before he turned 2.

He sleeps between 11-12 hrs a night. Usually once a week, sometimes two, he'll sleep for 13 hrs. I think he needs 13 hrs every night.

Now, my 12 month old who also has apparently given up naps
: , only seems to need 10-11 hrs sleep total in 24 hrs.

God help me.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, I guess my son is sleeping about the same as other kids.

The reason I ask is because he's sleeping a lot more than the other IRL 4ish yo we know.

I also think he needs another hour of sleep a night.

Quote:
He sleeps between 11-12 hrs a night. Usually once a week, sometimes two, he'll sleep for 13 hrs. I think he needs 13 hrs every night.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
dd is almost 5, but usually 10-11hrs. while she was a difficult infant, from 15m to present, she falls asleep with 3 minutes. She'll sometimes nurse to sleep but often now just crawls into "the family bed" and is out by the time Dh and I finish up in the bathroom.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
DD turned four in April. She sleeps anywhere from 7-13 hours, there's just no telling with her. She very rarely takes naps anymore. She has never needed as much sleep as most other kids her age, or as much sleep as those "experts" like to say kids need.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
My daughter will be 4 in August, and like your son, does all her sleeping in one stretch at night. She goes to bed (now) around 9pm and gets up around 9:30 am. Her bedtime used to be a good bit earlier, but with a new baby in the house, this is where we've landed, lol.

She really needs some quiet time after lunch, around early afternoon, just to rest her body and her mind. If she has it, the evenings are pretty plesant. If not, she gets really cranky and tired at about 6pm. If she goes to bed early, then she is often up before 6am.

I bet it will settle down a bit more as her body levels out in terms of how much sleep she needs. I do miss the days of a nice afternoon nap though!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts