Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DH just said to me the other day, "You CAN put him down, you know."

DS is three months old and held/slinged constantly, unless we are laying down in bed to sleep or to play. I bet he is out-of-arms less than 30 minutes a day total, when you add together me showering when DH is gone or when he sits on the couch with his older brother while I pop things in and out of the oven.

We went to many new places over the holidays, and people kept offering to get me various plastic baby-holders for him, even though we were both obviously happy and fine. I mean, *they* love to hold him, so don't they think I enjoy it too?

Do you hold your baby allllll the time, like we do?

I should add that DS is high needs, and needs to be held this much to be happy- but I really do enjoy it too.

I feel like I spent too much time trying to put the first two down so I could get something done (spening 30 minutes trying to get my nipple back from a sleeping baby!) and ended up fusterated. But when I just assume DS will be in-arms constantly and plan for that, things go so much better. He is definitely our most AP'ed baby yet.

· Registered
1,247 Posts
DD1 qouldn't let me not hold her. From the day she was born if she wasn't being held she was screaming. And I mean HELD, she wouldn't go in a sling or carrier.
DD2, so far, is just fine laying on the couch next to me, or in her carseat i the kitchen while I do stuff. I am so glad she can relax enough to not be held.
I loved holding DD1 all the time at the time, but now I am so glad DD2 can be on her own sometimes.

· Registered
4,026 Posts
Thankfully, things have calmed here with Darlene. She is probably in one of those "plastic baby holders" for an hour a day or so. She's high needs, sometimes as I look at the house in a mess around me I get irritated b/c I need to get stuff done, but then she'll smile a me & I know its all good.

· Registered
5,669 Posts
At 3 months Kylie was always in arms or in a sling. She is 8 months now and is held as much as she wishes to be. She enjoys rolling around on the floor alot these days (doesn't crawl, but rolls :LOL). I'm thankful that she is still a cuddly baby
They really do grow up too fast.

· Registered
684 Posts
At almost 4 months Paisley is in arms most of the time too...I do spend some time with her lying on the floor playing with me, or in the bouncy chair while I cook/do dishes...but mostly she is being held.

My mom made several comments this weekend about my "never putting her down" It can be frustrating, but whatever, I am still going to hold her. She likes it, I like it, everyone is happy!

· Registered
1,570 Posts
Willow is sort of un-cuddly, from birth she hasn't liked to be held for more than an hour or so at a time. and she actually started crying, or cried harder, when picked up. not at all what i expected from a baby!! i kept holding her differently, slinging her differently, trying to cuddle her "right" ... finally i realized that when i put her down but stayed next to her, she got happy. she has GERD, i'm not sure if that's the cause of not wanting to be held. she is *much* more cuddly since we started treating her GERD, so it might be. her favorite thing these days is to sit in her bouncy seat with me sitting on the floor in front of her, playing face games or rattle games or peekaboo with her. she also loves to lay between my legs when we're in the recliner, and nap or play. so i wish i could hold her all day, it sounds wonderful!! but at least i get to be near her and watch her all day
and she doesn't mind being touched, it's just being held that seems to make her fuss, so i touch her a lot

· Registered
1,098 Posts
DS is held all day and night long except when I am changing his diaper! He is only 3 weeks old. My dd #1 was like this also. DD #2 for some reason I could put down occasionally. People are already saying I'm spoiling him. HELLO, he is THREE WEEKS OLD!! However, I do have to admit that though he is sleeping on me at this second, I am trying to figure out how to get him to sleep someplace else for 5 minutes so I can bathe before his doctor appointment this afternoon

· Banned
1,279 Posts
DD is 4 months old. She got one of those bouncer/activity things as a gift and I put it together the other day thinking that she might want to look at something other than me, once in a while. she enjoys it for about 10 minutes and then it's right back to Mommy's lap. Sometimes I can put her down in her swing, but only after she's already asleep... and even then, half the time her eyes pop open as soon as mommy/baby contact is broken. i can't say I never wish for some space, but this time passes so quickly, and then that pure intimacy is gone.

· Registered
2,107 Posts
nak

i'd say at 3 months dd is in-arms about 3/4 of the day. she usually naps at least once in her swing (30 min-1+hrs -- won't go in it unless asleep), goes in the bouncy seat about 15 min while i shower, lays in her crib (which we have sidecar) while i talk to her & make the bed, and sits in her exersaucer (also in the kitchen, with me talking/singing to her) while i make supper. chores are either done during the swing nap (she naps on me the rest of the time..), after dh gets home while he holds her, or with her in the sutemi. errands are done with her in the sutemi. she'll only take the sutemi or sling if we're walking, otherwise it's arms. dh & i switch off holding her in the evenings and she almost always goes to sleep for the night being held by one of us.

· Premium Member
17,040 Posts
Faith,

The only time I remember putting dd down at that age was at night she'd go in our bed and I'd slip out and hang out with dh in the living room. Otherwise she was held or slung by somebody.

· Registered
1,570 Posts
are there any other moms with "un-cuddlers" out there? Dr. Sears speaks of it briefly in the baby book, not much advice though. i want to hold her all day but it's about her needs, not mine, so i hold her as much as she'll tolerate. she does love interaction, though, so she's talked to and sang to and played with as much as possible. i'm just wondering how to help a baby feel like more cuddling?

· Registered
3,839 Posts
Fern was in arms almost constantly when she was small (I could sometimes put her down to nap, but while awake it was mostly to use the bathroom and to eat - and it tok us til 3 months to figure out we could put her in the bouncy while we ate and we stopped eating in shift :LOL )
Now she's walking and she hardly wants to be in hand at all, she comes to nurse, and occasionally for some hugs and affection, but most of the time she is on the floor - I miss my little baby
(she still has separation anxiety big time, and is rarely out of sight)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.