Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to all sorts of circumstances, it looks like I'm going to have to start from scratch with baby stuff. This is my 3rd but all my stuff is far, far away. What I remember is that I never used half the stuff I had. So for those of you who have little ones right now (so you might remember better than I do) how much of everything do you use?

How many cloth dipes? Covers?
How many blankets? (baby is due this fall)
How many onsies, sleepers, sacks, etc to you really use?
What am I forgetting?

I'm trying to compile a list and see if it'll be cheaper to buy stuff used than have it all shipped across country.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoobyJuice
Due to all sorts of circumstances, it looks like I'm going to have to start from scratch with baby stuff. This is my 3rd but all my stuff is far, far away. What I remember is that I never used half the stuff I had. So for those of you who have little ones right now (so you might remember better than I do) how much of everything do you use?

What am I forgetting?

I'm trying to compile a list and see if it'll be cheaper to buy stuff used than have it all shipped across country.

Thanks!
I know what you mean. before ds was born I didn't want to buy anything until I knew exactly what I was going to use.
about clothes, be careful, because people buy you tons of 0-3 months stuff so don't bother buying that. my ds went through 0-3 and 3-6 in 2 months (now wearing 6-9 tops and 9-12 pants/onesies/pj's.
try to have about 10 one-piece outfits (I think they are so practical, they can sleep & play in them) and you can have a couple nice outfits to go out if you want (I don't have him in jeans & polo shirts at home because it's uncomfortable for him, but when we go out, I do, he looks like such an old little guy!)

cloth diapers, it depends on how much you want to spend. If you want to buy cheap at first, buy 40 prefolds and 6 covers. proraps are cheap and very sturdy. don't buy newborn size unless baby is a preemie, they grow so fast and newborn sizes are small.

blankets... you could have like 2 or 3, but I don't think you will need them very much when inside. mostly for going outside when it's windy and for the winter, when you go out, but inside we don't use any blankets since it's warm.

one thing I always recommend is.. invest in a good breast pump. I went through 4 different pumps until finally when ds was 6 weeks I bought the PIS and I wish I would have never bothered to try the other cheap ones that never worked for me.

mm, this is all I can think of right now, I have to go do my
, but If I think of anything else I'll post again, ok? congrats on your baby!

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Congratulations on your new baby

My kids are a little older than brand new
, but I did just sort thru all the baby stuff.
I used 7 to 10 covers a week, and I had 5 dozen diapers (chinese pre folds). Also had on hand 3 of those plastic pants and a dozen pins. I hate onsies. must be the only woman on earth who does, so we used a lot of tee shirts. I had at least a dozen. I used a lot of sacks and blankets... we had 5 sacks and 10 assorted blankets, all flannel or that thermal weave. I like to swaddle the kids, and they were always spitting on the blankets (or I would leak on them
: ), so we used at least 2 a day. I also had a few of those long pj things with feet for newborns, maybe 6, but I only used them sometimes. Same with the fancy outfits, I think we used one or two for company. Oh, and socks... we had a lot of socks since they seem to leave home as soon as they can

Do you have nursing pads? mama pads?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Depending on your washing habits, I made it with 2 dz DSQ PF diapers and about 3 - 4 covers (the vinyl you can wash pooies off and use immediately again, nylon, wool have to wash and dry). I have done it with 14 diapers, but I wouldn't want to again if I didn't have too.

Again, washing habits... I used 1 blanket a day for the first couple of months and everyonce in a while she got it dirty and then that day was 2 blankets. My boys never liked being swaddled, so blankets were just extra bub cloths.

My girl was a cold one and liked to be wrapped tight and dressed in layers, a first for me. 2 onesies and 2 sleepers (terry footed PJs) per day, usually not more than 2. As they get older (2 - 4 months) they are more prone to blow outs and the number of clothes per day increases. Never used a sack.

I had a few gender specific outfits for church, but for the first month she and I lived in my room in PJs and nightgowns. One outfit per day at age 2 - 4 months and then a back-up onesie and/ or PJ.

Hats, boys used none, girl used all I had and then some. As the stretchiness left them I had to get a fresh one. I had 4 and then my husband went out for 2 more. (Homebirth and used like 4 just in the time period after her birth).

Sox, my girl wore them under her footed pjs. 2 pairs should be enough, unless you know you little babies have stinky feet. One of my boys did!

One heavy blanket or carseat cover thing for winter outings.

Hope that helps. Don't forget a baby sling, you can wear your baby under your coat and forgo the heavy blanket or carseat cover thing.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I have to say, I also loved the one-piece outfits - for sleep and play. And I liked t-shirts better than onesies, too.

It's been 7 years since my last pregnancy, so I'm starting over from scratch as well. I highly recommend consignment shops, if you can find good ones in your area. In Seattle, we have a lot of them. I just found several unused diaper wraps for $1.50 a piece and several sleepers and one-piece outfits for cheap - $1-3 a piece (many with the tags still on) I've been able to start stocking up for very little $ so far and haven't even had my shower yet.

Also - the waterproof pads for baby and me came in really handy with my last pg - much more comfortable than sleeping on a towel -

I found flannel-backed waterproof fabric at a fabric store and bought it by the yard - then I cut pieces for the crib, diaper bag, and my matteress in different sizes. Very Handy and saved my bed from leaks (of all kinds) - HTH

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
bare minimum for brand-new baby (and in parenthesis, what I personally used):
2doz prefolds or contours and three covers (I actually had three or four doz dipes and ten+ covers)
three cotton receiving blankets and at least one nice warm blanket (I had at least six because I kept baby swaddled and didn't use diaper covers at home - so they went in the wash with the diapers every day)
three gowns and three tshirts (I had many many more than that, just because of the hand-me-downs from big sis and all our friends with girls.
T-shirts are easier than onesies when you are changing a dozen diapers every day those first few weeks
)
And at least one hat, too

·
Banned
254 Posts
How many cloth dipes? Covers? I remember readin somewhere that a newborn goes thru about 12 cds per day... you could probably go coverless alot if you change frequently, otherwise, i'd say 4-8 covers. I'd get a mix of newborn and preemie prefolds and maybe some AIOs if you can afford them.
How many blankets? (baby is due this fall) We had about 8 blankets of varying materials. My DD was born in Nov. This allowed us to have a few in the car, in each diaper bag and in the wash and not run out. Get quality blankets. They hold up and swaddle much better than the cheapy recieving blankets, IMO. We had some from Gymbo, Disney Store and Target baby. They are still good today after countless washes.
How many onsies, sleepers, sacks, etc to you really use? We did laundry every morning- we had way too many and a lot were never used. I'd say probably 7 of each. I have a ton of onesies and would be happy to send you the nicest ones- free for shipping. PM me if you are interested.
What am I forgetting?
-sling
- mittens (or tiny footies that will fit on the hands)
- burp/cleanup cloths (cheapie gerber prefolds work great as burp cloths- we were always needing more of those)
- two or three knit caps
- an extra boppy cover...

that's all i can think of right now

congrats!

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I just want to add 1 thing to all the excellent stuff here... try hard to remember your preferences on some of this stuff. Eg, I have friends who love the newborn gown thingies, and I can take 'em or leave 'em. I love hats, some don't...

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
I must be a weirdo- I not only love onesies but I also loved the gowns! LOL!

Sorry, used disposies so can't help with that one....

DS was born in October... I'd say 3 lighter ones (not recieving blankets but not really warm ones- I kept one in the diaper bag and two floating around at all times) and one heavy/warm one for when you go out. My DS was not a big spitter nor did he have many diaper explosions so I didn't wash them as often as some would.

Ohhh.... I have a onesie obsession! I have 40+ onesies that fit him right now
it depends on how often you plan on doing laundry. I did it once a week so I'd say *at least* 7-10 onesies. I loved one-pieces and DS wore one everyday for probably the first 2 months. Again, 7 would have been fine for me (although I had many many more thanks to everyone getting me the same size clothes). For nighttime I loved the sacks (that were open at the bottom) for the beginning (easy diaper changes) but once it started getting colder I absolutly loved the blanket sleepers- not the ones with feet but the sack like ones- they just zip from the feet to the chest. Absolute favorite! Carters makes some absolutely fabulous ones (pm me if you're interested
: .... unfortunatly DS isn't going to fit them this winter). Again, it would depend on how often you do laundry and whether you have a spitter/diaper exploder.

What am I forgetting?

Everyone else covered everything I can think of.... a couple hats (at least one warm one if you live in a cold climate), burp cloths, socks or mittins for the hands.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi! We also had a fall baby. We used:

1) Sleepers! We had 7-10 sleepers in each size.
2) Onesies! We had 7-10 onesies in each size.
3) Flannel receiving blankets, about 10 or so for burp cloths as well as swaddling
4) 3 Fleece receiving blankets for swaddling (we live in Maine and ds
grew too long to swaddle in the reg. flannel blankets)
5) 2 dozen contour fitted dipes
6) 3 AIO's
7) 7 covers, all machine-washable

I might mention that almost NO ONE gave us sleepers; instead, they
gave us "cute outfits" which were uncomfortable for ds, hard to put on,
and looked ridiculous on a newborn. IMHO, a baby should look like a baby,
not an old man.

Also, I really did not want to do laundry 3-5 times per week and I did
not want to trust others to do it for me (I'm a bit anal about laundry).
So if you are up to doing laundry every 2 days right after you give birth, you could probably cut down on the list above.

Maybe if we lived in a warmer climate (or in a newer, less-drafty house), we could have used t-shirts or gowns. THe few times I used a gown on ds, we woke up to find him shivering, even when swaddled. In a warm climate, I could see how they might be useful.

Priya :)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
How many cloth dipes? Covers? I bought 36 infant CPF (I have never used all of them though) a few Bumkins AIOs, a few Fuzzi Bunz, and 9 Kissaluvs. I also bought 7 newborn covers and 3 small covers and a small wool cover. I had more than enough supplies, I did laundry every other day for the first month or so, when they seem to poop non stop.

How many blankets? (baby is due this fall) My baby was born 2/4 and I received tons of blankets, most of which I never used. I used the flannel receiving blankets and kept her swaddled, that's about it. The thick blankets I only used to lay out on the floor for tummy time or to put over the carseat when we went somewhere.

How many onsies, sleepers, sacks, etc to you really use? I also received tons of onesies and personally I rarely use them. I kept her mostly in cotton sleepers. I also prefered the sleep sacks at night for the first month or so. It is easier to just pull up the sack to change all those diapers at night, than fumble around with snaps. Next time I would like to have about a dozen cotton sleepers and maybe 6 sleep sacks at least.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I love threads like this!

We had 3 dozen DSQ prefolds. That let me launder every day and a half to two days. But I'm a diaper changing fiend w/ a newborn. Went coverless the first few months, until one pee would soak thru to clothing/bedding. I preferred gowns to sleepers, no snaps to mess w/ in the middle of the night. Better yet, T-shirts. Baby doesn't need much clothing to keep warm if in bed w/ mama.

Used a couple of receiving blankets to wrap DD, but certainly didn't need the huge pile of them I had.

Sling was a must-have. I used a maya wrap and couldn't have survived newborn bf'ing w/out it.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I'd like to comment on CD size. I have had big babies, 9.9 long, 8.15 long(born early), 9.1 still long, but shorter than boys.
I had 14 regular sz DSQ CPF diapers with #2 and a few covers (3 smalls). I washed every night and dried them in the morning. (I had 2dz of the gerber sponge/ foam core dipes which were a back-up b/c I hate them.) With #3, a friend suggested I buy 1dz NB. Between the 12 NB and 14 regs, it made a nice stash for her. I bought 2 NB covers and wish I had just bought smalls, they lasted about 3 weeks. I have 3 covers I like to use and a bunch that I reluctantly use in a pinch. (A woman at our church gave me a ton of Sears brand nylon covers the NB sz were really like a small to med.) The NB dipes however are a tight fit at 14 1/2 weeks old, she is about 14 to 15 pounds and a pudge.
I am taking the NB out of circulation this week, I bring them back for doublers in a few months. I love how thick and soft they are compared to my well used regulars, but $$ always tight and I am a tight wad.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I had a 2-3 dozen infant and regular CPF's. I usually left him coverless at home since we were changing diapers so often.
I had maybe 4 small BSWWs. They got blow-out breastfed poopie on them often, so I'm glad I had a couple of extra.
While Holden ended up with tons of clothes from family and stuff, he only wore often two or three outfits. I quickly figured out which ones fit the best and made diaper changing easiest and stuck to them. I'm not a big fan of onesies, but since he was a winter baby wore long one pieces and nightgown sleepers. With two boys in cloth diapers I was doing so much laundry that to keep his couple of outfits clean wasn't a hardship.
We used 2 or 3 blankets.
You're forgetting your sling! If I hadn't had my Maya Wrap I'm not sure how I would have managed some days with two older kids.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
I am really suprised to see mittens on the list in some of these replies. But maybe that's because both of my babies liked to suck their fingers, and I wasn't too concerned about any tiny scratches they might give themselves.

You don't need burp rags if you use cloth diapers.

Sling and Boppy are definitely a must (at least for me). My Boppy has been in use for three years now and I need a replacement. It was the one shower gift that got more use than all the other gifts combined. I have at least four or five slings, so there's one in the car, one in the spare diaper bag, etc.

Electra's post reminded me... I had two doz premie cpfs at first (I have tiny babies) and still use them as doublers. I only had two newborn covers because I only used covers when we left the house (to keep poop out of the carseat more than for any other reason). After a few weeks, baby was in size small covers (of which I had probably 12) and the green stitched cpfs, whatever size those are.
You will also need wipes. I use cheapo wash cloths, twice as many as I have diapers.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Oh yeah! I forgot the water proof pads!! Oh man, and that was something I used up until DD was dry all night long! I did not have these when I had DS, and SO wish I had them. I feel they should be issued with a layette! Anyhow, I got mine from my SIL who works in a hospital. I am fairly sure they sell them at hospital supply centers, or your Midwife (dr?) should be able to tell you where you can get some. I have 4. They are big, about 4X4. I used them on the bed, in the car, on the sofa, and then on DD's "girl bed". They are soft and easy to wash. I still use them in the car when we go on car rides of any distance with the dogs (puppy gets car sick). handy things all around!
And the sling.... don;t know how I could have done it without. I had 2, one in the car, one at home. Also, something I did get when Ds was born, navy blue washcloths. I got a bunch at the discount store 6/$1. They are great for spills of all kinds, diaper changes, emergency pads (fold in 3s long ways for mama pad, in square for nursing pad... bulky but, hey, in a pinch!), and oh boy they are great for bleeding boo boos. They hide blood very well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts