Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In addition to my prenatal, I've also been on a supplement containing 4000 IU Vit D, 1000 mg calcium carbonate and 30 mg magnesium oxide daily (I have low Vit D - have for years). But I'd like to add in more magnesium to help as a muscle relaxant, help with RLS and help calm an irritable uterus.

I don't have a big enough bath tub right now so unfortunately epsom salt baths are out of the question. So which magnesium supplement should I buy and what should the dosage be? Should I also post in birth professionals?

Thanks!

Oh and if it matters/helps my prenatal has 25 mg magnesium oxide as well.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I don't know if there is an upper limit on how much you should take in pregnancy- I'd check on that first, just to be sure. But I liked taking Natual Calm as my magnesium suppliment my last pregnancy- you make it into a tea, so its absorbed more easily than the pill forms, I would drink a cup at bedtime to help me relax.

Peace,

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I have heard good things about that and Mama Calm so maybe I'll see if my local health market has it tomorrow. It has to be made a tea though? What about mixing it into a smoothie?

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Its a powder you are supposed to mix with hot or warm water to disolve- I don't know that it would work in a smoothie. However, it comes in a couple of flavors that are pretty pleasant.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I love the Natural Calm! Be careful to start with the lowest dose and work your way up because it loosens your bowels. It works great, though!

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks - will try to pick some up tomorrow and start with the lowest dose. So I have to make it as a tea? Can I ice it after at least? Don't love hot tea...

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My store didn't have Natural Calm so I bought the Floradix liquid magnesium supplement and just made a smoothie with Fage, organic milk, a splash of OJ, half a frozen banana, a scoop of natural whey protein, a couple pieces fresh coconut and half a dose of the Floradix (want to start slowly for bowel purposes). Yummy and hope it helps!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.