Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm 15w1d now. I felt movement around 10-11 weeks, little fluttery feelings. I felt them off and on for a couple weeks, I guess. Now I'm not feeling much at all.
My theory is that around 12 weeks my uterus moved up out of my pelvis and this is making a difference in how much I can feel? I'm heavier now than I have ever been (165 lb and 5'6") so maybe that's why now that baby is a little higher, in a less-skinny area of my body, I can't feel him? I know it's still early. I felt my others starting at 11 weeks and I remember movements increased over time, didn't go away and then come back. But again, I'm about 30lbs heavier now than I was at my previous heaviest.

What do you think?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
OMG, my answer to the thread title was going to be exactly what you said!

I'm pretty sure I felt some tiny flutters at 11 weeks. Now at 13.5 weeks, nothing! I was going to decline the doppler at my appointment on the 30th but now I'm tempted to get a quick listen!

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm about 14 weeks, and have been feeling movement consistently since about 10 or so. My uterus was measuring 15 weeks when I had my 10 week appointment (the first time we measured) so I'm really not sure when it moved out of the pelvis!

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
i was just talking to my midwife about this... it's normal for us mamas who feel our babies "early" (i felt movement around 11 weeks too) to have a period of a couple weeks (sometime b/w weeks 12 and 15 typically she said) where we don't feel the baby move. i didn't feel the baby for week 12 and 13, but am feeling him again and i'll be 15 weeks tomorrow.

basically, if we aren't feeling the baby for a couple weeks this early, we shouldn't get too worried, as that doesn't mean that anything is wrong.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I felt movement at 10 and 11 weeks, and not so much at 12 and 13. Some, but it was much more rare. Now at 15w1d I'm getting kicked on a pretty regular basis.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I feel movements daily (I'll be 14 weeks on Thursday) and that started about 5 days ago. Before that it was sporadic. But then again, my baby is super active. I don't know if you read on another thread that even the doctor and u/s tech at my 12 week u/s were amazed at how much my little guy/gal was flipping around!

And now as I type the babe is giving me some pretty good kicks!

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I'm not feeling mine very often now, but I think that's because my uterus has increased in size and baby just has more room to move around. The nurse had a hard time finding the hb at my appt last Wed because baby was moving around so much, and there seemed to be a LOT of room for baby to hide. The Fri before, my midwife had just put the doppler on my belly and found the hb right away (I think baby was asleep near the front!).

I seem to recall movement being less often during the 12-15 week period last time too, as the PP's midwife mentioned. I think it's normal if you're not feeling it all the time right now.

I do look forward to feeling it more again. I *still* feel like I'm not really pregnant, even though my belly is growing and I've heard the hb 3 times, seen the baby in there, felt the queasies and such (feeling a lot better now though), had the BH, etc, etc. So I know I'm pregnant, but at the same time, I just don't always feel like it. It's weird.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
I'm surprised I'm not feeling more at 15w3d. I have felt some little pressures here and there and did feel a couple little bonks last night at some point (unless I dreamt it!). I was also wondering if it's because I'm a good 20lbs heavier at this point than I was with the last pregnancy (I'm 5'4" and 141), but sounds like it is common even for those without the chubs.

Come on week 16!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Oh, I am so glad to see this post : ) I was going to put one up like this tonight - thank you! I am 15 weeks and I think I have been feeling little movements for a couple of weeks. They are pretty little and petite movements at this point. Sometimes I will go a couple of days without feeling anything - especially if I am standing all day and super busy. I will feel it at the most unexpected time and go "was that the baby??" It's so neat to feel my precious little one move and it brings tears to my eyes! I can't wait until I can feel the movements much more strongly!

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erinz View Post
I'm surprised I'm not feeling more at 15w3d. I have felt some little pressures here and there and did feel a couple little bonks last night at some point (unless I dreamt it!). I was also wondering if it's because I'm a good 20lbs heavier at this point than I was with the last pregnancy (I'm 5'4" and 141), but sounds like it is common even for those without the chubs.
Personally, I don't think being chubby has anything to do with not feeling movement *internally*. I'm overweight (I've passed 200 lbs now... yipee
), and I tend to feel my babies pretty early. My last pregnancy, I started out at 197, so was already close to that 200 lb mark. I still felt baby early.

Now I do think chub can affect feeling it on the *outside*. My DH usually can't feel baby for quite a while, as I have that extra maternal cushioning.

Of course, placenta placement, baby's position, uterus being tipped or not, and probably a host of other factors can also affect feeling movement, both internally and externally.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I am 15w3d and I have been feeling the baby for at least 3-4 weeks now. I have been feeling movement from the outside for a couple of weeks as well. My baby is VERY active

·
Registered
844 Posts
I'm 15.5 weeks now (16 if you go by my dating ultrasound but I prefer LMP/ovulation dating) and have felt little movement if any. Over the past week I have times where I "think" I feel something but I'm not sure. And this is my second pregnancy. And I went into this pregnancy 10-12 pounds lighter than when I got pregnant with DD. With her I had an emergency appendectomy at 16 weeks and felt her about 1/2-1 week later but she was a VERY active baby both in the womb and out! I have a prenatal visit Monday evening so the Doppler check then will be reassuring I hope.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by boscopup View Post
Personally, I don't think being chubby has anything to do with not feeling movement *internally*. I'm overweight (I've passed 200 lbs now... yipee
), and I tend to feel my babies pretty early. My last pregnancy, I started out at 197, so was already close to that 200 lb mark. I still felt baby early.

Now I do think chub can affect feeling it on the *outside*. My DH usually can't feel baby for quite a while, as I have that extra maternal cushioning.

Of course, placenta placement, baby's position, uterus being tipped or not, and probably a host of other factors can also affect feeling movement, both internally and externally.
Just wanted to say I'm with you- I started out at the same weight. Not what I was hoping for, but honestly, starting a family was more important to me than getting back to the 153 goal weight I was at for a good while.

I don't know if I feel movement or not. Sometimes I feel like something is wiggling inside me- almost like burrowing against my uterus? It's wild. I don't know if it's stretching muscle or if it's the baby. Hard to tell- it's my first, so I don't know what to feel for.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I feel them at certain times during the day. It also depends on the position I am in. I did feel more a couple of weeks ago but starting to think that it was serious gas. But anyway I am sure that it is them now.. I am also over weight but I don't think that it matters much..

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who hasn't really felt anything... I didn't feel DS till 20-ish weeks, and I will be 15 tomorrow and I still haven't felt anything, I don't think. Hopefully soonish though!!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is a very reassuring thread, thanks so much for all the responses! That's interesting that a mw said the same thing about noticing a "gap" between 12-15 weeks or so when you may feel less movement.

And I see what you mean about weight not playing a role. I was trying to come up with some reason, but it's not like my uterus is fatter
I definitely think it will take longer for any movements to be felt on the outside of my tummy due to the extra insulation.

I hope in the next week or so I'll start to feel a little more movement. I may have felt something last night after posting this thread--maybe baby knew I needed a little pick-me-up?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm 12.5 weeks - nothing until TODAY and then noticed sudden un-mistakable knocking around very low. I certainly didn't feel that this early with DS. It's pretty exciting - I told DH, "it's real - we're having another babe!"

·
Registered
172 Posts
I am 15 weeks and haven't felt much if any movement. I thought I felt him/her a couple of days ago, but am not sure. It felt a lot different than the movement I remember feeling with my son. I didn't feel my son move until about 21 weeks, so I'm not really surprised I haven't felt this one yet. I am overweight and I have a tipped uterus, too.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Oh, good - I'm not the only one to not feel the baby for a few weeks! I started feeling the baby around 10-11 weeks, then had a couple of weeks when I didn't feel it at all. I was heartsick. Hearing the heartbeat at my midwife's appt at 14 weeks was really reassuring. Now, at 15.5 weeks, it (he/she) has been kicking around a lot. Today in particular was an active day.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.