Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved my son to a new daycare mid February because I thought he needed more of a preschool environment. These last two weeks we've been struggling with diaper rash from her not properly wiping him (he's still potty training and won't poop in the potty yet) and he has snot crusted all over his face and nose when I pick him up. I talked to her about the diaper rash the first week and even brought in wipes in case she was trying to use some weird brand or rough toilet paper, but then by mid week he has a diaper rash again. Yesterday he cried when I picked him up because his butt was hurting. Man, just writing this makes me so mad.
My husband and I decided to bring him back to his old sitter today because she at least made sure he was clean and well cared for, even if she didn't do as many learning activities.
I'm wondering how much notice I have to give the new babysitter that we're leaving? It's the end of the month, and I don't really want to pay her for next month or even a couple more weeks because I just don't want to put my son through this anymore. Can I just tell her it's not working out and today is our last day? Is that too rude? She also doesn't speak English well at all so I can't really be subtle or explain in depth.

Thanks for your advice!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I'm confused--is it a center or a home daycare? Did you sign a contract? I know that with centers, it's usually spelled out in the contract.

If you don't have a contract, I have no idea. A week or two seems fair to me. (That being said, I'd find the money to double-pay daycare and take him out immediately! I wouldn't keep the child in for a week or two just because I was paying for it.)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Did you have any sort of agreement in place when your son started there? Is it an actual Daycare, an Agency/Accredited Dayhome or just a private dayhome? All the daycares/agency dayhomes in our area have an agreement that is part of the papers you sign outlining notice requirements and it's usually two weeks. So if we were to pull DS from his current dayhome tomorrow (which will never happen, we LOVE her!), his babysitter would still get paid for the next two weeks.

And if you've got a private babysitter, she may be counting on the income...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She's a licenced in-home facility and had an agreement form, but none of that information was filled in. So when I signed it, it looked like she didn't have a policy on withdrawal & fees. She didn't give me a copy of it and I didn't make one. I doubt she would fill that in after the fact...

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
A two week notice is customary. I have a daycare, and I'd be mad and extremely offended if you didn't give me a fair notice.

However, part of her job is to keep him safe and reasonably clean. I tell the parents up front "your kids will go home filthy". But, that does not include dried snot, or dry poop.

I didn't check to see how old your son is... But, if he's close to four, I probably wouldn't be looking in his underwear either. If I know he's still potty training, I probably would though. Dry snot, or food on his face is not acceptable. Even if he's old enough to clean himself up, she should be giving direction and making sure he has a wet rag, or a wipey to wash up with.

So, if this arrangement is not working out because of something that you consider a basic health or safety issue, I think maybe taking him out today, would be a little crappy, but completely understandable.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He's only 2. Paint all over the clothes, totally ok. Changing a wet diaper at home and having to wipe off poop that's been sticking there for who knows how long, not ok.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ardor View Post
He's only 2. Paint all over the clothes, totally ok. Changing a wet diaper at home and having to wipe off poop that's been sticking there for who knows how long, not ok.
Totally unacceptable! I would have a hard time biting my toungue as I was shuffling him out the door for the last time....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I just told her that I won't be bringing him there anymore and it was really awkward because she didn't understand what I was saying, then she tried to blame the rash on me. I feel really bad for some reason, like maybe I didn't give her enough of a chance. I'm having a hard time dealing with this today.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ardor View Post
Well I just told her that I won't be bringing him there anymore and it was really awkward because she didn't understand what I was saying, then she tried to blame the rash on me. I feel really bad for some reason, like maybe I didn't give her enough of a chance. I'm having a hard time dealing with this today.
I'm sorry you feel bad. But, honestly, if I were the provider, I would hope to learn from this. It sounds like you are being really nice about it. At age two, it's not acceptable to NOT be wiping his bottom when he poops. Or letting his nose be all gross.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.