Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To pack peeled apples and pears for a lunch, how much orange juice do you use to prevent browning.

Do you keep lots of orange juice in the container at all time?
Or do you soak the apples for a few minutes and then drain the juice?

Or is it somewhere in between?

Thanks!

· Premium Member
14,037 Posts
I usually use a Tbs of lemon juice in maybe 2 c of water. Drop them in the bowl while I'm finishing chopping, pull them out, drain them and they should be good.

Although I have noticed that if I slice them and keep the slices assembled in the original shape, they really don't brown at all except on the exposed surfaces (the end 2 pieces).

· Registered
1,042 Posts
I believe I read once that orange juice can actually cause browning; it's best to use lemon juice. The way Christeen does it is the way I would do it.

Personally, I just deal with the browning. I don't like the added flavor from trying to keep it from getting brown. Or, I pack the fruit whole. My 3 yo doesn't eat every bite off the apple, but he does a pretty good job.

· Registered
4,837 Posts
I honestly just squirt a little lemon juice in the container with the apples, and shake them around to coat them. Ds likes lemon flavor/sour stuff - it's usually on granny smith apples (his fave) so the sour kinda complements them.

If I didn't want so much lemon flavor, I'd dilute it with some water, then coat them. I don't think soaking is necessary. Oh, and I've never heard about OJ, I've always used lemon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.