Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is 7 months old, I've never pumped or bottlefed him before so I'm lost... DH and I want to go out this weekend for the first time alone in...a long time. Lol. I have no idea how much to put in each bag, how many bags to have frozen, etc.. Any help? Oh yeah, he is eating some solids now so that helps. :)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
my baby is 4mo and I freeze 3oz at a time. If she goes through the 3oz than she gets another 3oz. This way there is no waisting any from offering too much. If you have never offered a botlle your LO may not know what to do with it? HTH enjoy your date!

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I don't have personal experience with how much really because DS refused the bottle starting around 4 months, but when I worked in daycare, the babies there would have about 6 oz of breastmilk every 2.5-3.5 hours at that age during the day. One suggestion though--I'd find out before you pump too much and make your plans if you can actually get him to take a bottle... I know a lot of people who weren't able to get their babies that age to take a bottle unless they had done it a lot before. I tried to pump and bottle feed enough that DS would hopefully never refuse the bottle, but it didn't work. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
You can pump into bottles and skip the freezer a day or two before date night.

If he has never had a bottle I would do a test run before leaving him with someone else.

Have a great time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekkingirl View Post

my baby is 4mo and I freeze 3oz at a time. If she goes through the 3oz than she gets another 3oz. This way there is no waisting any from offering too much. If you have never offered a botlle your LO may not know what to do with it? HTH enjoy your date!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by APToddlerMama View Post

I don't have personal experience with how much really because DS refused the bottle starting around 4 months, but when I worked in daycare, the babies there would have about 6 oz of breastmilk every 2.5-3.5 hours at that age during the day. One suggestion though--I'd find out before you pump too much and make your plans if you can actually get him to take a bottle... I know a lot of people who weren't able to get their babies that age to take a bottle unless they had done it a lot before. I tried to pump and bottle feed enough that DS would hopefully never refuse the bottle, but it didn't work. Good luck!
I'll definitely try giving him a bottle tonight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia884 View Post

You can pump into bottles and skip the freezer a day or two before date night.

If he has never had a bottle I would do a test run before leaving him with someone else.

Have a great time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Also I guess if he doesn't take the bottle he can just drink it out of a cup very carefully..he's drank water out of a glass before...

·
Registered
791 Posts
My DS has been in FT daycare since he was 12 weeks old. Before he was eating any solids he generally ate 4 - 6 oz every 2.5-3 hours.

·
Registered
56 Posts
When DS was the same age as your LO, I left 4 oz bottles for him. He would drink 2 or 3 bottles while I was away (about 8 hours). I'd nurse before I left him and as soon as I got home.

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! I did just try giving him a bottle and it worked out great! He did get pissed when he was sleepy though, I guess a bottle is no match for a boob for sleepy time! I guess babysitter can use a rocking chair. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.