Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how much sleep does everyone need? i have an 11 month old. he wakes up at least 2 x a night and of course keeps me very busy in the day. i sleep from about 10pm to 7am. i also take a nap a few times a week. does that sound like a lot or normal? i have thyroid problems and i recently had blood work to come back so i am going on more synthroid. my husband says that it is not like i sit at a desk all day- i'm so busy that i require more sleep- that's his theory.

how much sleep do you guys need when you are taking care of a baby all night? i'm sure it is different for everyone, but i'm curious.

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
nak

my ds is 3 months and right now we sleep from around 10:30 at night to 8:30 - 9:30 in the morning. ds usually sleeps thru until around 4, wakes to nurse and then nurses every 2 - 3 hours after that. some days we'll nap for a few hours in the afternoon as well, but that doesn't affect his sleep at night. i'm lucky to have a good sleeper, i need a lot of sleep myself.

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
I aim to be in bed for 9 hours so that with all the times ds wakes up, I end up getting close to 8. So you sound totally normal. I agree with what your dh said - we are always running around so it is tiring!

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
It's amazing how your body can adjust isn't it? well to a point.

I had preterm labor with cx steadily every 2-4 mins. from 23 weeks with Nitara. I took a med that caused insomnia. Then after she was born she had severe reflux. At 10 mos old she wakes up 3-5 times a night to cough or spit up or vomit. I pat her back to sleep. I also have to turn off her feeding pump at about 4 AM when it empties the feeding bag. At around that same time Abi will join us in bed. Both girls wake up at around 6:30 and that starts our day. At 11 PM is when I normally go to bed.

I can count on exactly 1 finger the last time I've had 7 hours of uninterrupted sleep. Nitara was in the hospital and dh said I needed to go home because I was so sleep deprived I was not functional. He said he would stay with her that night. I drove home and crashed and I remember waking up seemingly moments later and it was morning.

I hope you get better rest soon, but if not, you're in good company!

Darshani

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I need at least 8-10hrs but could go with way more. Both dds get up in the middle of the nights. DD2 was getting up about every 2hrs in the past wk. So i"m sure I didn't get enough of sleep. Andd DD1, well, i don't always hear her so dh gets up with her.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Well, I used to need about 8-10 hours

Now as long as I have 6-7 hours and if most of those hours are spent laying down even better
:LOL Last night I slept 3 1/2 sitting up and then 4 laying down and I am good to go. Now mind you those are not solid hours of sleep so who really knows

Amy

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
After almost 8 months of cruel experimentation, I've found that I can get by on 5.5 hours a night, but only if at least three of those hours are consecutive, unbroken sleep hours. Four hours, even if they're consecutive, leaves me feeling like a zombie the next day, and 6 hours (as long as 3 of the hours are consecutive) leave me feeling *okay*. Last night I got four consecutive hours PLUS another three consecutive hours and I'm feeling quite perky this morning!

·
Registered
463 Posts
I sleep pretty much like you, OP, but the TV's in our bedroom and sometimes dh likes to watch TV late at night (not too often) and that keeps me up. So I'm at least in bed from 10ish or later to usually 7ish with lots of brief nightwakings. Every little move or squeek from dd used to wake me up no matter where she was (we use the crib til her second night waking cause she goes to sleep before us) but according to dh, I'm sleeping through more of her wiggling and fussing -- must be waking him now, which it never did... I have a hypothesis that its partly that they're bonding more so his sleep is starting to connect to hers like mine did a long time ago, but that's a long shot probably.

I can't take naps very well. Daylight keeps me up as does my racing mind and to do list, so I usually read or get online during "down time."

I used to HAVE to have 8+ hours of straight sleep to feel well the next day. I think that with pre-natal vitamins, more excersize and a healthy breastfeeding diet plus that hormone-filled boot camp baby puts mommy through in the very beginning, my needs have changed. Now if I don't get to bed until after midnight I can still drag myself out of bed before seven if need be and function fine for the whole day... but I certainly prefer the 10-7 routine.

julie

·
Registered
689 Posts
I enjoy 8-9 hours of sleep, but usually the last few are restless. I have found too that sinceI have started excercising everyday I feel more rested in the morning!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
My body is so screwed up that even if my DS sleeps I don't. I don't think I got more then 4-5 hours of uninterrupted sleep in past 20 months. And 4-5 hours happened only very few times.
I always wonder how women with more chilrder do it. After their children are old enough to sleep alone and throught the night - their bodies must be so messed up that they probably never sleep anyway............at least that is the case of my mom.

My DS's sleep has been so weird lately....he used to sleep 12 hours at night (nursed about 6 times during that time), now he sleeps barely 10 and is all over the place and cries and moans. SO when he actually sleeps I am up and waiting for him to wake up.......totally messed up.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I go to bed around 8pm or earlier during the work week and get up around 5 or 6. On good nights DS wakes about every 2 hours. Sometimes he wakes more often in the morning. I like to get about 8 hours but I have no idea how much sleep I get. If I go to bed early sometimes I wake up really early and even more than DS. I seem to be functioning well on small amount of sleep. On the weekends I frequently stay up till 11p and get up 6am or 7am. I am never good when DS has a bad night though.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Before baby I really needed 8 hours straight to be able to function through all day (like if I only got 4 hours, I'd be ok if I went to bed early the next night), and I could easily sleep 12 hours (or even 16 on a few occasions!).

Now I go to bed with Orion, and we stay in bed 10-12 hours, with Orion waking every 2 hours (at minimum), and I waking at least another 3-5 times myself to move because I had carpal tunnel and other arm issues and constantly wake with bad pins and needles and have to flip over.

·
Registered
14,840 Posts
I have health issues that create sleep problems so it really varies for me. I can get anywhere from 4-12 hours on any given night. We are night owls though, so we are up quite late by most peoples standards. My kids are older too, and sleep through the night (or don't need me as much if they do wake up) so the only think dorking up my snooze hours is my body lol. I think our bodies are pretty flexible, especially after we become parents.

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
Before kids I needed 7-8 hours uninterrupted (generally 11pm-7am) and if I was woken up after around 3am I could not get back to sleep.

Now I generally get closer to 10, but that is nursing avery 2 hours on average so it is just not as restful.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.