Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I should be counting my blessings that DD sleeps so much, but sometimes I wonder if there is ever TOO much sleep.

She sleeps for 9-10 hours at night straight. When she wakes up she kicks around in her bed and plays for about 10 mins or more. Is her stomach that big now or what?

I used to freak out thinking she had died in her sleep or something, but its been consistantly that long now.

Then she'll be up an hour or two and fall asleep for a morning nap for an hour or so, etc. etc.

She naps a lot. She is almost 4 months old. I hear so many people whose kids barely nap or don't sleep at night or both.

Why is my kid so tired? Am I lucky or is she sleeping too much...is there such a thing?

XOXO
B

· Registered
1,645 Posts
Don't worry about this. Seriously. You're just really blessed. Hope that it stays this way.
She's gaining weight impressively and growing like crazy...that takes a lot of energy. As long as she keeps growing normally and hitting her milestones I would not worry AT ALL, just rest up in case it all changes at the drop of a hat!!

· Registered
2,305 Posts
My baby was/is a very sleepy one and when I asked the doctor about it, she said that the normal range was 16-20 hours. At that time, my baby was doing 19 hours a day, lol! Now at 6.5 months, she's still a big sleeper and I do consider myself lucky since the first one wasn't.

· Registered
474 Posts
My babe sleeps alot too. Not through the night. But wakes up between 7-8am, naps 3 x/day, then goes to sleep between 6-7pm. He will wake up 1-2 x at night.

Our days go quickly. He is awake for such a short time everyday. Time is precious.

· Registered
43,104 Posts
I don't think there is any "nomal" when it comes to number of hours of sleep for babies and toddlers. My dd pretty much always slept "through the night" though a shorter night than most infants and toddlers. She never made up the hours in naps either, so she has always slept less than "normal"

-Angela

· Registered
4,448 Posts
Shhh, BethSLP! The sleep fairies will hear you! The sleep fairies giveth, the sleep fairies taketh away.

We have sleeeeepy days, we have no-sleepy days. A few days after my babe was born, he stayed awake like ALL DAY. And then he slept all the time for the next few days. Perhaps we have a binge sleeper on our hands?

I say, be grateful for your sleeper, but don't say it too loudly. Or else the sleep fairies will come to teach you a lesson.

· Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tip! Mums the word!

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyingspaghettimama
Shhh, BethSLP! The sleep fairies will hear you! The sleep fairies giveth, the sleep fairies taketh away.

We have sleeeeepy days, we have no-sleepy days. A few days after my babe was born, he stayed awake like ALL DAY. And then he slept all the time for the next few days. Perhaps we have a binge sleeper on our hands?

I say, be grateful for your sleeper, but don't say it too loudly. Or else the sleep fairies will come to teach you a lesson.

· Registered
376 Posts
My 4 month old was sleeping at least 18 hours a day. At 10 months he sleeps at least 14 hours a day but mostly 15-16 hours. Babies that age should go back to sleep for their morning nap after 1 or 2 hours. It is a continuation of night sleep and it is really good for them. BTW, they have done studies and the people who sleep the most do better in school, on testing, and "they" say are smarter. My friends always kid me and say that I have Einstein on my hands as mine sleeps so much. Sounds like you have an Einstein, too.

· Registered
5,852 Posts
yes, my dd was like that too (now she does wake up semi-regularly at 3 am and takes only two naps). and she always does wake up happy, even after sleeping 10-12 hrs. I sometimes worried/felt weird about it because I had been conditioned to expect to wake up several times per night and it didn't happen

· Registered
474 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lkg4dmcrc
BTW, they have done studies and the people who sleep the most do better in school, on testing, and "they" say are smarter. My friends always kid me and say that I have Einstein on my hands as mine sleeps so much. Sounds like you have an Einstein, too.
Ya know, I just read an article tonight in Junior magazine saying the opposite. It said that a symptom of "genius" children is that they DON'T sleep well. Hmm. . . .

· Registered
1,018 Posts
Hey Beth,

Kathryn is the same way, she likes to stay up later (11:00pm) but will sleep until 6:00, nurse for 5 min. and then back to sleep until 11:00am. I just consider myself blessed the second time, Guyler has always been an early bird.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.