Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was prescribed some antibiotics and I had to stop bf for 2 weeks, well now it seems that my dd has weaned herself, and doesn't want to know anything about the breast
what else can I give her besides cow milk,she's veg and
obviously she's not a cow, I've seen this very vanilla fortified soy milk for kids but im also concerned on the topic of "too much soy can be dangerous"
can I give her another kind of milk such as rice, almond, I know theyre not as fortified and nutritious as maybe soy milk, or correct me if im wrong.
but anyway, for those of you with toddlers around my dd age, what kind of milk should I give to my daughter and how many ounces?

thanks!

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Could you just not give her any type of milk?

In your situation I would personally do diluted full-fat coconut milk if she was missing having something milk-like. I personally don't think the other milks have enough fat for a growing child.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
My 32 month old drinks about 8-12 ounces of enriched soymilk a day, a 4 ounce cup with each meal and water or weak no-caffeine herbal infusions between meals.

Sometimes we go to coffee shops and she gets what we call a "latte," 8 ounces of soymilk with a single pump of flavored syrup, and on those days she still gets the same with her meals, but often doesn't drink it.

Soymilk doesn't have enough saturated fat for a child under 2, so be sure that you supplement that somewhere.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
My kids are breastfed, but they drink soymilk. I believe that soy is healthy even in large quantities. My toddler drinks about 12 oz. of soymilk a day. Maybe as much as 18 oz. some days, if you count the milk in his cereal. My oldest drinks maybe 6 oz. a day including his cereal-- he's a water lover (not that my toddler doesn't also drink tons of H2O).
I think it's most important that they drink plenty of water, but as long as they are doing that, I think a couple glasses of soymilk a day is fine. If I weren't breastfeeding my toddler I'd probably give him 18 oz. every day.
I've been known to add flax seed oil to soymilk for fat.
Kids don't really NEED any type of milk, though.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Soymilk is not really a milk.

I would look at getting her back to the breast.

(also you were probably given incorrect info on the antibiotics- there are VERY few that are not safe for nursing
)

-Angela

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Prefacing this with the information that I am vegan, I feel a child under 2 that is not breastfeeding has the one truly good reason for a human to drink animal milk. I also feel that a vegan child really needs 2 years of breastmilk. Out of the non-dairy milk substitutes, my feeling, after researching the alternatives, is that enriched soymilk is the best non-dairy choice for a child under 2. Saturated fat is important for babies though, but enriched soy is the best approximation of the combination of nutrients it is replacing.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I'd think about getting her back on breastmilk too....If she doesn't want to nurse, how about pumping and then giving it to her in a cup?

I don't know what I believe about the health values of various animal or non-animal milks. I do know children thrive on a very wide variety of diets. But I think breastmilk is probably going to be the MOST healthful for a baby of her age. I'm sure you'll figure out a solution which will work out for her. (That's so sad about your experience with antibiotics!)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Chocokat ...

Are you raising your DD vegan? If yes, then are you giving her other soy foods on a daily basis (tofu, soy yogourt, etc.)? If so, then maybe her "milk" could be rice, almond or hemp (depending on the brand, you can find them fortified with calcium, etc.). In addtion to 'milk' I suggest you get her drinking water. I would not even think of trying tea or flavored milk at this time.

If you are not raising her vegan, are you giving her dairy foods (yogourt, cheese, etc?). If yes, and your not doing soy foods on a daily basis, than I say go with the soy milk.

BTW -- my DS is also 16 months. He is not vegan. He drinks a variety of "milks" throught out the day ... cow, soy, and/or rice. He also eats soy foods every other day (usually tofu).

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Almond milk is significantly lower in calories, rice milk is lacking in protein, and hempmilk is not b-12 or calcium fortified. If you are not having allergy problems, then organic soymilk is the best option, IMO.

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by catnip View Post
hempmilk is not b-12 or calcium fortified.

I have Living Harvest Hempmilk and on it's nutrtional info it says calcium 46% and B12 25% (based on a 2000 calorie diet)

An 8oz serving also has 900mg Omega-3, 2800mg Omega-6, all 10 essential Amino acids, and 4 grams protein.

But it only has 3 grams of fat for 8oz where breastmilk has 1.2 grams of fat per oz of milk (from Kellymom). So you have to make sure that your baby gets a good fat source besides the hempmilk.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Yeah, I would also say 'none'. Soy mimics estrogen and has been shown to cause hormonal changes in people of all ages. Not what I'd want to give my 2yo.

If she's only been off the breast for two weeks, I would not give any other milks and see if she'll gravitate back to you. If not, I'd look toward coconut milk or fortified rice or almond milk.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.