Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DH is getting deployed at the beginning of next year, and will probably have to get some vaccines before he goes. I would like him to take some vitamin C every day to help bolster his immune system for whenever he gets the vaxes--he says he may not get any advance notice on when they will be given. How much is a good maintenance dose to help him? Also, is there anything else that he can do to help bolster his immune system to deal with the vaccines? He sort of tries to eat healthy (whole foods) although he drinks a ton of (mostly diet) pop.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'd like to know too. My DH said he's going to be getting his yearly
: yellow fever and smallpox vax (and who knows what else) soon, so I'd like to get him as prepared as possible.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
As far as I know you can take as much Vit C as you want to- whatever your body doesn't need will pass through your system....I think it was 1000mg is a HIGH adult dose...but this is all just coming from the girl at the health food store, so hopefullly others will have more input.

(You can get it in powder form where a tsp has 1000+mg...the whole bottle was only like $10). I say load 'em up!

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1000 mg (1 gram) is nothing...I take 3 grams a day and should probably take more (trying to heal my gut). Maybe I should have DH take 5 grams a day

·
Registered
867 Posts
Well, look up Linus Pauling's work-he did alot of research on Vit c, and basically, you can take as much as you want. I take 10 grams a day (yes, that's right-grams, not milligrams) and its not bowel tolerance for me (you get the runs when you take too much...lovely, no?). He suggested that compared to animals that manufacture their own vit C, humans need between 4 and 6 grams at a minimum.

I'd go to bowel tolerance for at least a few days before he's scheduled to get vaxed-don't know how long for certain though....

www.westonaprice.org has some information on preparing for vaxing-they generally recommend against it, I think-but they recommend "extra" Vit C and Vit A & D (cod liver oil-put a TB in a 1/2 glass of OJ, stir vigorously and chug. You won't taste it I promise)

I'd load up on iodine as well-since most people are low on that too and it affects your thyroid which affects your immune system in turn-but it's hard to find and a little spendy.

HTH-good luck. Too bad the military won't accept a religious exemption.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erikajo
I'd like to know too. My DH said he's going to be getting his yearly
: yellow fever and smallpox vax (and who knows what else) soon, so I'd like to get him as prepared as possible.
Just an FYI but small pox and yellow fever vaxes are usually only given before they deploy and are NOT regular standard yearly military vaccines. They only get the small pox once. Stateside, "regular" military vaxes are things like Hep B, Hep A, polio, DT, MMR, varicella...etc. Basically all the vaxes kids get plus the flu vax.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I once read that military members are allowed vaccine exemtions as long as it occurs BEFORE joining and their intentions are known. They do not allow members to change course during their service years.
I'd have to do some digging to find out exatly where I found this.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by caedmyn
1000 mg (1 gram) is nothing...I take 3 grams a day and should probably take more (trying to heal my gut). Maybe I should have DH take 5 grams a day

There ya go- you can't always trust that the people at the health food store know what they're talking about!

·
Registered
867 Posts
For those that are interested, the stuff that comes in the powdered form as sodium ascorbate is really easy to take-I mix 2 1/2 teas in a glass of H20 and use it to take my other vitamins-fewer pills that way. (Mine says it's 1 gram per 1/4 tsp)

tastes like strong alkaseltzer w/o the fizz.

Spendy ($40 a bottle) but it lasts forever, I swear. Even at the rate I take it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shelsi
Just an FYI but small pox and yellow fever vaxes are usually only given before they deploy and are NOT regular standard yearly military vaccines. They only get the small pox once. Stateside, "regular" military vaxes are things like Hep B, Hep A, polio, DT, MMR, varicella...etc. Basically all the vaxes kids get plus the flu vax.
I thought it was odd that they keep giving it to him. But he's been in the military for 4.5 years now and has had both yellow fever and smallpox yearly. They keep terrible records at his guard base, so I'm inclined to think it's because they keep screwing up the records. Pretty sad, huh?
:

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronda
I once read that military members are allowed vaccine exemtions as long as it occurs BEFORE joining and their intentions are known. They do not allow members to change course during their service years.
I'd have to do some digging to find out exatly where I found this.
It's been posted here before--actually I think there's a current thread that states this. I've also read that if you're enlisted, you can try to get a religious exemption before you re-enlist. But I've also read that if you have an exemption you are not deployable, so that probably wouldn't work if someone wanted to stay in the military and make a career out of it.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Ok, I saw this thread and just had to post about an experience I had today!

We're visiting my family in IL for two weeks (which are almost up) as my baby brother just got married... I went into a GNC outlet store to hunt up some sodium ascorbate powder and the vitamin store chick had never heard of it!! ALL they had there was ascorbic acid, usually with rose hips and a bunch of other useless crap, and she said no one had ever come in asking her for sodium ascorbate before. She even asked me what it was! I'm standing in front of this big wall FULL of vitamin C products and she's all, "Sodium ascorbate... is that a mineral? I've never heard of it."

WOW is all I can say.
:

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erikajo
I thought it was odd that they keep giving it to him. But he's been in the military for 4.5 years now and has had both yellow fever and smallpox yearly. They keep terrible records at his guard base, so I'm inclined to think it's because they keep screwing up the records. Pretty sad, huh?
:
Doesn't he have a copy of his shot records?? The smallpox vaccine should NOT be given every year. In fact my dh has gotten it 3 times now and they told him (the vax clinic on base) that he should never have another one because 3 was the max and they actually notated that in his file. He's had it 3 times because he had it as a child (navy brat) but the first time it didn't take. So they re-vaccinated him a few weeks after the first time. Then he got it in 2004 when he deployed.

I don't understand why they would give him those vaxes unless he is deploying?? There was a girl in my squadron who had half the anthrax series and then PCS'd to a place where she wasn't going to deploy from ever. She BEGGED to be given the rest of the series because she knew that once she was able to deploy again they would have to start all over but they refused because those shots are ONLY for the deploying personel.

Is it funny how civilians think the military is sooo organized? Yeah right, then you get into it and you realize how much important stuff just gets lost!

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shelsi
Is it funny how civilians think the military is sooo organized? Yeah right, then you get into it and you realize how much important stuff just gets lost!
People think that? I knew better long before I married in. In fact, I so dislike the military, I had as a goal to never, ever, ever date anyone in the military. So much for that.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Plummeting
People think that? I knew better long before I married in. In fact, I so dislike the military, I had as a goal to never, ever, ever date anyone in the military. So much for that.

Wow!! I had the same thought, and look at me now...Navy wife extrodinair!!

·
Registered
498 Posts
As for me we too do sodium ascorbate...ordered online cause god luck finding it IRL. I started by doing 1/2 tsp every 1/2 hr. until the old bowels signalled enough. That way I was able to tell exactly how much I had taken prior to the tummy alert. Don't follow the labels cause most say 1/2 tsp per day and no more. Once you find your body saturation rate ( the amount that doesn't cause diarrhea ) take that everday along with your other supplements. Plus on the days after vaccination he might try upping it a little bit cause a sick body always needs more. HTH! Good luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts