Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And how the heck do I get ds to drink that much?!?

I just read this:
"The latest new conventional wisdom from the field of sports medicine holds that you should drink daily half your body weight in ounces of water.
http://www.wisegeek.com/how-much-wat...rink-daily.htm

Ds is 48lbs, so he should have 24oz, or 3cups, right? Does that sound like too much? Not enough?

I am just at a loss for how to get him to drink water. Even some juice would be ok. He was drinking about 1/4 to 1/2 cup a day. He has dark circles under his eyes, and gets sick relatively easily.

We have talked and talked and talked to him about how important water is, that our blood is made of water, that water flushes out toxins, etc. He agrees that it's important that he drink enough. He just doesn't do it. We remind him every time we drink water. He has a sip, and that's it. It's constant all day coaxing to get a cup down him.

He and I decided a sticker chart might help (this was a week ago), so we made one, and he puts a sticker on for every cup he drinks (it's working more like a checklist than a traditional stickerchart, kwim?) He's been doing better- no less than 1 cup every day. But most days it's only 1 cup. Is that enough?

Dp and I also decided yesterday that ds shouldn't have "junk sugar" until he's drank some water for the day. It's just apparent that his body can't handle sugar AND being dehydrated. gah. We told ds, and hopefully it didn't come across as junk being a reward for drinking water. I don't think it did- we talk ALL THE TIME about his immune system, what helps it (water, sleep, good foods) and what doesn't (sugar!). I'm pretty sure ds isn't thinking it's a reward thing.
But I really don't want it to become "I had my water, now where's my candy?"

Sigh. Advice? Opinions on the sticker chart? I'm so opposed to rewards and punishments. But it really does seem like HE isn't taking it as a reward thing, kwim?

·
Registered
632 Posts
How much other liquid is he getting each day (juice, milk, broth, etc.). I believe these all help fight dehydration even if they are not as good as pure water. Water-rich fruit and vegetables like tomatoes and oranges are also a good bet.

My 3 yo son drinks plenty, but since I live in a hot climate its always a concern. Things I do:

-Special sport bottle

-Cold filtered water (you could also try bottled water. Tap water varies a lot in taste from decent to awful).

-Let him add ice and pour it into his cup himself. Makes it more interesting.

-I hand him his water bottle every time he gets in his car seat.

We do milk with meals and very little juice, just orange and tomato juice on occasion.

My son also likes drinking out of my husband's Camelbak. He thinks the tube and and valve are neat.

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by RoundAbout View Post
How much other liquid is he getting each day (juice, milk, broth, etc.).
Usually none. Oh, he does have cereal with soymilk in the morning, so that probably counts for something. That's good, at least.
I do think I'll make a conscious effort to offer juice once a day though. He just had juice and took one drink of it, so even when he has juice, it doesn't add up to much.

I've bought him a few Kanteen type bottles, and tried keeping water in the fridge.

He does eat well- lots of fruits and veggies.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
FWIW, I read that most of the studies about how much water we need don't have a strong scientific basis, so I wouldn't stress too much about getting exactly 3 cups of water into him.

But to get him to drink, could you just decide that with every meal he needs to drink a glassful of water? Pour it for him, give him a straw, see if he prefers tepid water (it doesn't taste as good as cold, but it goes down easier if you're just going to gulp it), sit with him while he finishes it, and then he doesn't need to think about drinking water again until the next meal. If he doesn't like to drink, gulping down a lot at once might be more pleasant than taking lots of little sips all day. It seems like that would be easier than keeping on top of a reward chart.

Will he tell you why he doesn't drink? That might give you more ideas for how to approach it. I had a friend who drank very little because she had some obsessive tendencies that made going to the bathroom stressful, and so she reduced her input to reduce her output, IYKWIM. Not healthy, but it was what she did. I'm not suggesting your son has a similar reason, but you'll never know unless you ask.

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not stressed about getting exactly 3 cups in him. Just...more than he's currently drinking. I'd be happy with 2 most days, maybe more some days and less other days. Yeah, if he could get pretty good at getting 2 cups most days, I'd be thrilled!

Good idea about encouraging him to "chug" at every meal. I bet he could get half a cup down at a meal. I don't like drinking water either, so I chug. Dp and I both do, and we both drink lots of water.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeldamomma View Post
Will he tell you why he doesn't drink? That might give you more ideas for how to approach it. I had a friend who drank very little because she had some obsessive tendencies that made going to the bathroom stressful, and so she reduced her input to reduce her output, IYKWIM. Not healthy, but it was what she did. I'm not suggesting your son has a similar reason, but you'll never know unless you ask.
Hmmm, strange that I've not spent much time trying to figure out the "why". I just figured that he didn't like water. lol. I'll try to ask and listen well!

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
My mom is like that. she's just never thirsty and has to force herself to drink.
I would suggest water rich foods like watermelon, oranges (also better than the juice) My kids also enjoy just sucking on ice cubes. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I think the sticker chart thing is a good idea if he is liking it. Sounds more like visual reinforcement than reward. He can see how much he has taken in and set higher goals for himself. Also about the no junk sugar until you've had water, also a good idea. I let my kids know they're to have healthy foods first, feed their bodies something good and useful before putting in a little junk. Same thing. Does he like melons, celery, citrus fruits, cucumber, and leafy greens? Lots of fruits and veggies have high water content. Here are some ideas on things to offer him-

suck on ice pieces
use a straw (I've had one bag of straws for years now, we wash and reuse)
warm or hot water (little dd likes to do this)
herbal tea with honey
soups with broth (veggie or bean water)
juice popsicles (my kids do orange juice)
juice stuff together (if you own a juicer)
make lemonade together (if he likes lemons)
give water with every meal

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MissRubyandKen View Post
I think the sticker chart thing is a good idea if he is liking it. Sounds more like visual reinforcement than reward.
Yep. I have very little to do with it, except telling him what day it is. He's in charge of the whole thing

I bet lemonade and tea with honey would go over well! I'll give those a shot.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Lots of great ideas. And I second the notion that the science behind the water issue is kinda soft. Water is of coarse essential but unless there is sickness involved I don't think you need to monitor you water intake at all. I have seen several studies on this and my DH and I have discussed it many times. One study showed two identical twin sisters who were measured and monitored for over a month. ONe twin drank glasses and glasses of water a day and the other paid no attention. At the end of the trial period both girls were exactly the same as eachother. This study really opened my eyes.

Anyway, if your DS is eating fruits and veggies, drinking some liquid, and you can make it fun by adding these wonderful ideas (ice is a fun one for us) I think you will be fine.

Did you say that your DS is dehydrated? or that you just worry about him? Oh, and chugging water at mealtimes would be a no no in our house. I want my Dd to fill up on food, not water. I in fact make her wait until at least halfwy through the meal before she gets anything to drink.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravenlunatic View Post
Oh, and chugging water at mealtimes would be a no no in our house. I want my Dd to fill up on food, not water. I in fact make her wait until at least halfwy through the meal before she gets anything to drink.
My husband grew up with a rule like that, but he wasn't allowed any milk until the meal was over. Did you make your "no water until you've eaten a lot" rule in response to a problem? My kids have never shown any sign of drinking in place of eating. I'm curious, not critical.

My parents were always pushing liquids, and I can't imagine having to eat without being allowed a drink-- it makes me thirsty just thinking about it! Maybe we all just get used to what we're brought up with.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Well, my DD can be very picky and I just like her to eat some food before drinking a lot. She sometimes eats only several bites of food and has never been a big eater. It astounds me actually when I see some kids gobble up their food, I'm like wow. I don't have a set rule about it, just if I have noticed her not eating much in a day I just wait to give her her milk or water or whatever. I don't really make her wait, just try and go in that direction. If she asks for liquid at meal times she gets it of coarse. I have read that drinking at mealtimes isn't the best thing and I never do it... but DH does and like I said I don't have a rule about it.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post
what color is his pee?
And how often does he urinate?

I wouldn't interpret dark circles and getting sick easily as a dehydration issue on their own. Maybe an allergy issue, though. I'd be looking for the urine to not be too dark and urinating three times a day (though I remember just going twice a day as a kid). I hand ds his water bottle if he is running around a lot and I think he must be thirsty, just too busy to drink. He does like straws. They are easier to drink fast compared to some sports tops or sippy cups. Good for some sensory issues like not liking things touching the lips, too.

·
Banned
4,701 Posts
I fill up a 20 ounce water bottle for my dd and let her keep it with her when she is playing. She drinks a lot more water if she doesn't have to stop what she is doing to get a cup of water from the sink.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have a hard time getting my son to drink water as well, he would prefer to drink milk and/or juice all day. Granted, he is a sugar monster and we are always trying to have less "invisible" sugar like juice, so he will ask for glass after glass of milk. I make him drink water which he says is "disgusting" I use a relatively small pretty glass and set it on the table 3-4 times a day and ask him to drink it before any other food or drink- now this is a very loose rule and more of an encouragement- he is 5 after all, but it has helped. Ice, a tiny bit of emergen-C make it easier. I worry because his pee does get awful dark and smelly when his water intake is too low.
I sort of have this new way of presenting food and drink, trying to eliminate the if I eat my good food can I have a sweet treat- I talk a lot about variety and how we need all sorts of kinds of foods and drinks and whats "good" is to have some of everything, even sweets. I worry though about him not liking water, my daughter has always drank tons of water every day, even as a 13 yr old she drinks more water than anyone else in the house.

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravenlunatic View Post
Did you say that your DS is dehydrated? or that you just worry about him?
He seems to have some signs of dehydration, sometimes. But mostly I just worry that 1/4 cup a day isn't enough.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post
you could race to see who chugs the fastest! what color is his pee?
Yeah, he likes races. lol. I'm not sure- I'll keep an eye on his pee. It must not be too dark- we're an "if it's yellow let it mellow" house, and I never notice much color.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post
And how often does he urinate?
Not often. Maybe 3 times a day though. maybe.
I've thought of allergies for the dark circles. I'm working on trying to find a possible food trigger for ds2's eczema. But that's just ME limiting what I eat. Hmmm...I'm not even sure how I'd go about trying to figure it out for ds1.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well some vegetables and fruits are mostly made up of water, like watermelon. They taste good and they are red and cool. Make natural juices at home, lemonade is good too.

My 4yo doesn't like to drink water, she's obsessed with orange juice and lemonade though. She says water is boring
Now my 5 yo won't drink anything BUT water.
And I can't really picture eating without having something to drink.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.