Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 22 weeks tomorrow and I just weighed myself. Looks like I have gained 18lbs. Is that too much? My pre-pregnancy weight is 125 and today I weighed 143. I just feel like that is too much weight too fast. Is it?

·
Registered
759 Posts
I think that you are right-on.
"They" say that you should expect 10-15 pounds by week 20 if you are at a normal weight and then an average of 1 pound a week after that. Since you were very light to start out with, you may gain a little more than someone who starts out with fat energy to spare
Some weeks you'll gain 2 pounds and then none the following. It's not very regular. Enjoy your new curves!

·
Registered
947 Posts
Well....

I started out heavier than normal for me(183pds at 5'6")and I've put on 11pds so far at 22 wks. I was really hoping not to cross over the 200pd mark by too much but to be honest I don't really care all that much...

I would say that your weight gain is perfect
My MW is happy with a 30-40pd weight gain when a person starts out at a smaller weight-such as yourself.

Take Care

·
Registered
245 Posts
Try not to think too much about weight gain and concentrate on eating well. Everyone gains differently. I'm almost 24 weeks and have gained about 20lbs, and I'm really happy with that. I gained 60 lbs total during my last pg and had a big, healthy baby. It took time to lose the weight, but it eventually came off!

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Way too much for me!!

I am almost 22 weeks, and I've gained 21 pounds. In my previous pregancies, at this point, I hadn't gained anything (losses in the first trimester due to nausea and vomiting). This time, I didn't lose any weight, but I've packed it on.

It worries me because, despite that slow start at gaining, previously, I have gained 48 (!) and 27 pounds. I'm really trying to watch it at this point.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
-3 pounds. I was/am really overweight to begin with though. Most I'm supposed to gain is 10 to 15 and OB is ok with less than that. MW hasn't said anything negative about it either.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I am 24 weeks this week and I think to date I have gained 12kg, which I'd prefer not to do the math after this Dr visit as 12kg sounds better than how ever many pounds. I had been on WW just before I conceived and lost 30lbs give or take a few oz and I am pretty sure I have gained it all back now, but it's been SO hard as eating is often the only thing saving me from feeling sick or migrainy or otherwise being symptomatic. I started out in the "overweight" category on the BMI but had just come down from the "obese". I am hopeful though that as long as the gain slows (my eating feels much more manageable lately) I will be able to lose the weight again between BF and WW.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm 5'4" and was 112.4 pounds the week of my LMP. I gained two pounds my first trimester and then gained about a pound a week during the first part of my second trimester. At 20 weeks I was 121.8 pounds and my weight was the same at weeks 21 and 22. I will weigh myself again this week on Thursday. I definitely feel like my belly is growing and some people are starting to notice I'm pregnant. If I remain the same weight for 4 weeks is that something to call the Midwife about?

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
I was underweight in the first trimester, and lost more w/surgery and my husband leaving me, but since mid-Jan I have gained 1-2 lbs a week. I'm finally back up to my desired weight of 122, and ready to break my record any day now. I think most of the weight is in my belly, but now my thighs do seem thicker. It could also be partly muscle as now I'm gaining my strength back. I don't have a scale at home, so I can't obsess, which is nice. I just get weighed at my appts.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm 24 weeks and have gained 8-10 pounds by my scales, depending on the morning.

I started the pregnancy about 60 pounds overweight though, so a 15-20 lb total gain is quite reasonable for me.

You sound like you're right on track!

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm almost 24 weeks and have gained 12 lbs. B/c I gained almost 30 lbs in the months before I became pregnant, I was really hoping not to gain too much. We'll see - lately I've become very hungry.

My $.02 is that, if you are eating really well (getting enough protein, veggies, etc), drinking enough water, and reasonable active, you don't have to worry about what the actual numbers on the scale are. I wish OBs would focus more on nutrition than lbs.

With my 1st, I gained 50 lbs, with my 2nd, about 22 lbs, and I'm guessing that this one will be somewhere inbetween.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I have no real clue....lol

We moved house and left our scales! I was 89kg when i lost the baby i was carrying before this one (didn't have AF in between) and 89kg at 12weeks, but apparently 92kg at 15weeks (i weighed first thing and naked, the 92kg was fully clothed and after lunch
). I would say from my clothes i'm probably around 95-96kg right now, so up about 14lbs or so. But i could be 98 or 95 really....

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I'm 34 weeks, and have gained a total of approx 30 pounds. I was 100 lbs to start with & 5 ft tall. I was concerned especially during the 2nd trimester because of some website that told me I should be gaining a pound a week. During the 2nd trimester, I was gaining way more than a pound a week! In fact, most of the weight gain was in the 2nd trimester, and now that I'm further along, I've stabilized.

18 lbs at 22 weeks seems fine to me. They say an average gain of 25-35 pounds is normal, but of course that depends on whether you're over or under weight when you start.

Interestingly (to me anyway), weight expectations have changed over the years. With my first pregnancy, 20 years ago, I gained 25 pounds total, and my doctor was concerned with my supposedly massive weight gain. I started that pregnancy weighing 110 lbs, which is not overweight by anyone's standards. I think she, and the medical community in general back then, were thinking you shouldn't gain much more than the baby's weight. Thank god that's changed!

·
Registered
537 Posts
I'm 22 weeks and have put on about 26 lbs. I was 145 and 6'1" to begin with. I tend to gain the 30-35 lbs during pregnancy. With my last baby I have no clue what I ended up weighing my MW never broke out the scale. It really don't matter to me about the weight. I agree with a pp that Dr.s should focus more on healthy eating that the lbs. Our bodies are all so different.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm 23 weeks and have gained about 7lbs. I was not overweight before I got pregnant. i've been concerned I'm not gaining enough, but the dr's aren't. I eat well, and do not limit calories, that's for sure! I think chasing a 3 year old is keeping the weight gain down, lol! I'd gained quite a bit more by this time with DD, but I'm trying not to let it concern me. Baby's growth is right on, so it's not bothering her!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Just found out I've gained 16 pounds since I got PG, which dr. said was fine. It is ALL belly (and some boob.)

I'm 5-foot 8 and was 130 and pre-PG.

I gained about 40 pounds with DD and it all fell off in like a month - but I'm not expecting that this time around b/c of my ADVANCED MATERNAL AGE!

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm 24 weeks and have gained 11 lbs. I am 5'3" and started at 135. With DS, I gained 50 lbs...way...too...much for me. I feel so "small" this time around. ;-) Six months pregnant this time doesn't feel anything like six months pregnant last time. This is better, for me! :)

·
Registered
983 Posts
I'm 22w3d and as of this morning at the OB's office, I've gained 11lbs. I started this pregnancy at 183lbs which is about 50lbs more than what "they" say I should weigh and about 30lbs over what I'd say is a normal weight for me. Keeping that in mind, I'd like to stay as close to 20-25lbs weight gain as possible because I need to be careful of how much weight I carry on my body. I really struggle with weight loss and I know that I don't want to put on a lot of weight now since it will be so hard for me to take it off afterwards.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I've gained about 10-12 and I'm not thrilled. I'm a good 50-75lbs overweight already. I was doing really well through the holidays and immediately after and have lately been making some poor choices. I'm hopping back on the wagon though. If I gain weight eating right and walking then well, I gain weight but I know I'm gaining weight right now because I
am eating crud and sitting on my ever widening behind.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.