Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to try the Fern & Faerie free soaker pattern. Will 4 oz of worsted-weight yarn be enough for a size large, do you think?

Also, about how much does a skein of LTK handpainted yarn weigh? I've been trying to compare prices, as a way of whittling down the huge selection of beautiful yarns out there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,371 Posts
I just did the toddler size (which is one size larger than the large) and used brown sheep lamb's pride worsted, which is 4oz, 190 yards per skein. One skein was not *quite*enough. I finished the first skein when I was towards the end of the first leg cuff (making the ribbed leg cuffs is the last thing you do).

The price for this yarn at my local yarn store was $6.75 per skein. Though I see they just raised it to $7.00.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,747 Posts
I have been knitting large soakers and shorts and I have always had extra yarn left over. I have used both Paton's Merino and Cascade 220. I think they come in 3.5 or 4 oz. skeins. I guess it really depends on the yardage?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by imp&pixie
I have been knitting large soakers and shorts and I have always had extra yarn left over. I have used both Paton's Merino and Cascade 220.
How do you like the Paton's? It's inexpensive and readily available, so I've been thinking I might go to Joann's and get some.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeldasMom
I just did the toddler size (which is one size larger than the large) and used brown sheep lamb's pride worsted, which is 4oz, 190 yards per skein. One skein was not *quite*enough. I finished the first skein when I was towards the end of the first leg cuff (making the ribbed leg cuffs is the last thing you do).

The price for this yarn at my local yarn store was $6.75 per skein. Though I see they just raised it to $7.00.
Thanks! That helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by devonc
I get a small and a medium out of one skein of LTK, so it should be more than enough for a large.
Thanks! Not having either weight or yardage listed makes it tough to determine how much yarn you're actually getting from her.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,541 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JNW
Thanks! Not having either weight or yardage listed makes it tough to determine how much yarn you're actually getting from her.
Actually, both the weight and yardage are listed for each yarn
It's in the top blurb of each main yarn page) The 2 ply is 4 ounces/210 yards, the 3 ply is 4 ounces/290 yards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Knittin' in the Shade
Actually, both the weight and yardage are listed for each yarn
It's not listed for handpainted yarn. Unless my browser (Firefox) ate the text, which happens sometimes with pages optimized for IE.

But thank you for the information!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,371 Posts
I'm a firefox/mozilla user also!


Hopefully Theresa or someone else will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe for the F&F soaker you want the 3 ply in LTK yarn to get the pattern guage of 5 stitches & 7 rows per inch (the pattern recommends size 7 needles to get this).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,541 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JNW
It's not listed for handpainted yarn. Unless my browser (Firefox) ate the text, which happens sometimes with pages optimized for IE.

But thank you for the information!

Nope, it's there, right at the top of the first page, just below the clothesline with all the handpainted yarn on it

here's what it says:

Quote:
Please note that the stock quantities on these are set at 8 because that is the maximum quantity we can dye in one lot. These yarns are not "instock", they are dyed to order. Please allow 10-14 days for delivery.

Both 2 ply and 3 ply come in 4 ounce hanks. The 2 ply has approximately 210 yards per hank, and the 3 ply approximately 290 yards per hank.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,541 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeldasMom
I'm a firefox/mozilla user also!


Hopefully Theresa or someone else will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe for the F&F soaker you want the 3 ply in LTK yarn to get the pattern guage of 5 stitches & 7 rows per inch (the pattern recommends size 7 needles to get this).
yep, for that gauge it would be 3 ply in my yarn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Knittin' in the Shade
Nope, it's there, right at the top of the first page, just below the clothesline with all the handpainted yarn on it

*smacks self in head* I have stared at that page for so long on several occasions and have somehow always missed that. Thanks!

Also, I have to tell you how much I love the Westport Island colorway. It captures the feel of summer vacation on Cape Cod and the Maine coast perfectly. I'm trying to think of a special project that will be worthy of that yarn!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,541 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JNW
Also, I have to tell you how much I love the Westport Island colorway. It captures the feel of summer vacation on Cape Cod and the Maine coast perfectly. I'm trying to think of a special project that will be worthy of that yarn!
*sigh* I'm a little bit sad thinking about that colorway right now, since this will be the first year in forever that we aren't going to the "Big White House" (as my boys call it) that inspired that colorway. We usually go with DH's parents and his brother (and his family) but SIL is having a babe the end of august so they won't be up for vaca in sept, and it's too expensive for just us and in laws. Here's the house that the colorway was inspired by, you might even be able to see some of the orange azaleas in it! Big White House
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Knittin' in the Shade
Here's the house that the colorway was inspired by, you might even be able to see some of the orange azaleas in it! Big White House
Wow, that place looks incredible. I have friends in Wiscasset so I know how gorgeous that area is in general. Hopefully you'll be able to continue your tradition next year.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top