Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my first two pregnancies, I really never noticed braxton hicks. Sometimes my stomach would feel hard to the touch but not from feeling my uterus (kwim?). I would feel the whole area being hard but not feel the tightening. This time I started having braxton hicks, ones I could feel, at about 19 weeks. For the first week or so if I drank more and more water, they seemed to go away. Now they don't.

I know everyone is different, etc. But how many should you have a day? At 21 weeks? Are they always going to and you just aren't usually aware of them? I'm not really worried, but they are a little uncomfortable - not all of them, but some. Some parts of the day seem to go by just fine and then I'll have 3 or 4 maybe an hour for a while.

And where (on the outside) would you feel you're cervix?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I had a lot with my first and it has been the same with my 2nd....I started around 18 weeks. I'm 35 weeks now and my OB says if I get more than 4 an hour for consecutive hours, then I should be evaluted for premature labor. She sid if I get 4 or more in one hour, I should drink a big glass of water and lie down on my left hand side...they should ease up, if not, call her. I'm not real worried because they don't seem to be going anywhere, they are just annoying.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
I had virtually none with my first two pregnancies, but with this one, I have had a ton of contractions off and on from about 20 weeks or so. My midwife says it is quite common to have more the more times you are pregnant as your uterus has been stretched out so much. This is its way of keeping in shape. Unless you are experiencing pain, back pain, spotting, anything else out of the ordinary I don't think you need to worry. *(I am not a medical professional
)*

Brandi

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. I think it's just the difference between never having felt them and these - OH - moments that is getting my attention. I seem to have so many of them and this week drinking more water doesn't help. I've had some cramping very low (about an inch over my pubic bone) and that's what really got me thinking. But it seems to follow a poke to the bladder or kick to the side so I think it's just a little person poking me inthe cervix. Guess I won't worry.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I think the biggest concern with B-H is when they happen a lot within an hour. i.e. more than 4x within an hour for more than a couple hours. Basically if there is a pattern of them happening.

I had them A LOT with my first, didn't even realize that's what I was having for about a month. Just thought she was making the muscles cramp because she liked to push her hands and feet OUT a lot. I was also working almost 60+ hours a week and was on my feet for way too much in hindsight. I only had them periodically with my DS until the last 2 weeks. Havent had much with #3 yet.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
i'm 36 weeks into my fourth pregnancy, and i have 'em ALL the time. i don't even time them, because they just come and go as they please... they're not productive, i can definitely tell when the labor version kicks in.

my midwife says the more "used" a uterus is, the more B/H contrax you'll have to keep it toned. she also says she worries about hemmorhage when she hears of a mama who has had no B/H in pregnancy... and she's been doing this for 30 years, so i believe her!

they're kind of a pain, yeah, but really not so bad. try not to let them worry you... you can take skullcap, valerian, hops or other things to tone 'em down if they keep you awake at night.

good luck!

katje

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I had them from 13 weeks on my second pregnancy and about the same this time. I did have dd at 36 weeks, but I don't know if there was any corrolation with the bh. I can definitely tell the difference between them and the "real thing." I tend to get them with certain physical activity--getting up quickly, for example, and of course, while nursing. Last night I had a bunch in a row while just lying on the couch. I got up and drank two glasses of water, and they stopped.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I had them alot with my first pregnancy, didn't have them with Gwen, and haven't had them with this one so far either. With my first, I had them so much, and they were so painful, that when the real contractions started coming, I thought that they were BH.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SamuraiEarthMama
i'm 36 weeks into my fourth pregnancy, and i have 'em ALL the time. i don't even time them, because they just come and go as they please... they're not productive, i can definitely tell when the labor version kicks in.

Same here, but I'm 31 weeks. Like the OP, I never felt the BH's before, ntil this pregnancy at about 17 weeks. And they come and go as they wish!
Sometimes 2/day, sometimes 4/hour here and there.
Sometimes they are very mild, sometimes they are quite crampy.
My cervix is softening, but nothing that is concerning my OB at this point.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts