Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ten month old has fallen twice in the past two weeks. First time, he was sitting on a chair in my lap and wiggled out and fell on the kitchen floor hitting the back of his head. Then today, he was playing by the open dishwasher as I was doing dishes. He tried to stand on his own and slipped on the rug and fell, hitting his eyelid and cheek on the dishwasher door and then landing on the floor on the back of his head. My Ped has no open appointments, but said to bring him to the emergency room. So thats what I plan on doing since there is a small bump/bruise on his eyelid.

He has fallen about 4 other times. I just wonder if there is something I should be doing or if this is as frequent with other children his age.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Very common, and to be honest unless he has a laceration that needs suturing or had a loss of consciousness or seems groggy or off I would not subject him to an er exam or er microbes or if there is an agressive, risk adverse md, a ct scan.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
my dd falls from a standing position at least 20 times a day.... She pulls up and sometimes falls straight back. I get worried, but she seems fine after all of the falls.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Our 10 month old falls a lot. He just lost another rug burn scab on his forehead from trying to stand unassisted (lost his balance and fell face first onto the carpet instead of landing on his tush).

Yesterday he clocked himself in the nugget with a wooden toy, then clipped the edge of a chair while trying to stand.

Sigh... lots of "boo-boo" hugs and kisses going on around here...

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Every five minutes. She looks like an abused child most of the time. I can no longer keep track of all her bruises and minor scrapes.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
When my son was that age we had a STACK of injury reports from daycare all of which started with "Your child tried to stand...." At home, we joked that he couldn't fall asleep unless he'd bonked his head at least half a dozen times.

They fall a ton at this stage. We just said "Boom!" and carried on, unless he seemed upset. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
That's not to bad. Both my kids were walking at 10 months and falling every 5 minutes. Some were bad (like when dd hit her grandmother's dining room table with her cheek), some were nothing at all.

I personally wouldn't take him to the ER unless he seems disoriented or has a cut you think needs stitches.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
DD is only 8 months, but she falls ALL the time. Every 5-10 minutes.

Try to stand on this, fall. Try to lean over that, fall. Try to stand unassisted (WHY!?), fall. Standing holding on to table, let go of one hand, fall. Try to pull self up on unstable furniture (rocking chair), fall. Reach for that, fall.

Today she fell face first into a pile of cookies. She got chocolate all over her hair.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks - I ended up going to the ER because my mom was convinced he would have a concussion or a fracture (for a minor fall).. She freaked me out about it..

Anyway, we got there and waited an hour before anyone saw us. Then the triage nurse saw us and said he looked fine. We were supposed to wait to see the DR, but I came to my senses after waiting another hour and we left. He didn't look hurt.. just tired - we all were.

Thanks for the advice. Now I don't feel like a bad mother because my kid happens to get hurt sometimes...

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
um.... fourteen times an hour?
My kids are bigger now, but at that age we had so many falls I stopped even noticing, unless there was blood or unconsciousness involved.
When DD1 was trying to learn to walk, DH actually went out and bought this plush wool area rug with padding so she'd have a softer place to whack her head, because she was starting to look like we'd been smacking her.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by holothuroidea View Post
DD is only 8 months, but she falls ALL the time. Every 5-10 minutes.

Try to stand on this, fall. Try to lean over that, fall. Try to stand unassisted (WHY!?), fall. Standing holding on to table, let go of one hand, fall. Try to pull self up on unstable furniture (rocking chair), fall. Reach for that, fall.

Today she fell face first into a pile of cookies. She got chocolate all over her hair.

:

My daughter is almost 10 months, but has spent the past 2 trying to walk around things and stand everywhere. The good news is that she has learned how to fall on her bum most of the time, so the scary, face-bruising falls are few and far between. If your child is at this stage, get used to the falls. Eventually, you won't even notice most of them.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rightkindofme View Post
Every five minutes. She looks like an abused child most of the time. I can no longer keep track of all her bruises and minor scrapes.
my boys do too .... multiple bruises to their heads, in various stages of healing. It's embarrassing.
:

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
My 8 month old has decided it is important that he learn to stand/cruise immediately. He started pulling up about a month ago but it was fairly infrequent and he was cautious- he has now thrown caution to the wind and in doing so, falls CONSTANTLY. He has a gnarly looking yellow bruise on his cheek currently that EVERYONE asks about.

Anyway, it's driving me nuts but I'm glad that it's "normal"

·
Registered
105 Posts
I hate to say it but it's actually reassuring to read these posts. I've wanted to post the same question several times. My almost 9 month old has been crawling and cruising since he was 5 months old. I was under the impression that his bumps and bruises would get less as he got better at what he was doing. Not so! As he gets better he gets more daring with what he does. I don't even know half the time what he gets his bumps and bruises from. It's an all day event! And lets not even talk about the bumps and scratches he gets from my own clumsiness. Those are the really bad mommy moments....

I think you're doing pretty good.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
One day my son fell and hit his head 4 times before noon. He had 4 tiny bruises on his forehead all day (dang coffeetable!). He hits his head ALL the freaking time. Just keep a close eye on him for signs of concussion. I think its pretty common.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
When DD was that age she was falling down on a regular basis, t's just part of learning to be mobile. She started crawling at 4 months, but didn't manage to master walking until almost 18 months. 14 monts of nosedives! I removed the coffee tables etc from the house eventually.

I can honestly say that DS (9 months) doesn't fall at all- however, that's because he's a very lazy and content baby who is fond of sitting on his bum watching the world go by. I'm sure he'll start mving around- eventually and experience all the falls/bumps/bruises though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.