Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ask this question because on another very mainstream board I go to, it is asked every once in a while. Usually by a mama who thinks her baby is nursing too much.

My 3 1/2 month old nurses ALL the time. I think I'm breaking some kind of record if we manage to go a whole hour during the day withought nursing. It's more typical of him to nurse twice every hour for about 10 minutes or so (he's very efficient).

Then there's my 21 month old who nurses probably 6 or 7 times a day.

At night the 21 month old nurses 3 times and the baby nurses usually two times, although if I've eaten something that upsets his tummy he will sometimes nurse so many times I can't count.

I'm not concerned that this isn't normal, I just wondered if others find themselves nursing more than most people find acceptable. (I've nursed all my kids this way~ unrestricted, except my first dd because I worked until she was a year old.)

Anyone else?

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
Short answer: whenever she wants.

Long answer: When she's awake every half hour to 45 minutes. When asleep, every 3 to 4 hrs but sometimes even as long as 6 because she can't wake up enough to nurse. It's hard to tell with mine becaue she's still young and not quite on a schedule and I'm very much about nursing on demand, though I offer the breast all the time since she's been known to just let hunger go and not signal at all but sleep through.

I had a doc tell me not to let her use me as a pacifier, and to try and space out her feedings and I did try for like a day (stupid, grr) but then I realized that we just do things on our own schedule.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Honestly, I don't answer those questions on the mainstream board I go to, because I don't pay attention to how often DD eats. I feed her when she asks to be fed and that's the end of it. If I had to guess, I'd say she eats every hour to hour and a half during the day when we're home. Maybe closer to 2 hours if we're out running around. At night, depends on the night and how the day has gone. Yesterday she only woke to feed twice between 10 and 8, some nights she wakes up every hour between 10 and 4 and then wants to eat straight from 4 to 8 or 9.

She does eat more than people think is acceptable/necessary, but I'm not so concerned about other people. The only thing that matters to me is what DD thinks is acceptable/necessary.
FWIW, I don't even tell people IRL how frequently she eats, I just say "when she's hungry."

·
Registered
683 Posts
I don't watch a clock and I have no idea how often I'm nursing either my 2 week old or my 15 month old. Lately, it seems that my 15 month old wants to nurse everytime I nurse my NB. I nurse my nb whenever she seems fussy or shows interest and my 15 month old just pulls up my shirt when she wants, no shy girl there.

·
Registered
136 Posts
ive never actually counted how many times my DD nurses but I want to say atleast 10 times in a 24 hour period (at least 3 at night).

·
Registered
117 Posts
When ds was 3 months old there was no counting how many times he nursed, it was all the time. Now he is 20 months and only nurses 4 to 7 times a day. I stopped visiting the mainstream boards becuase they are too upsetting to me. I feel too sad for the babies that have never nursed, have to cio etc.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by imma2six View Post
I don't watch a clock and I have no idea how often I'm nursing either my 2 week old or my 15 month old. Lately, it seems that my 15 month old wants to nurse everytime I nurse my NB. I nurse my nb whenever she seems fussy or shows interest and my 15 month old just pulls up my shirt when she wants, no shy girl there.
I don't count either, I'm just guessing, but I *think* it's pretty close

I don't tell the mama's on the mainstream board how much I nurse because I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get a favorable response to "about 34 times every 24 hours"

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eather View Post
When ds was 3 months old there was no counting how many times he nursed, it was all the time. Now he is 20 months and only nurses 4 to 7 times a day. I stopped visiting the mainstream boards becuase they are too upsetting to me. I feel too sad for the babies that have never nursed, have to cio etc.

I agree. It is very sad.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I never limited either or my babies with their nursing time, it was always on demand. My, just turned, 2 year old still nurses on demand. Although i'm away from her during the day for work & school, from the time I get to daycare to pick the kids up, she immediately nurses, and I just get enough time to make dinner and feed the kids and then she nurses throughout the night. I've learned to sleep on my side so that she can get to the milkies whenever she needs them.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
We always nurse whenever my babies want to. My youngest- now 2, nurses 8+ times a day- and when he was 3.5 months old, he nursed pretty much all the time. So did his broter at that age.
Perfectly normal!

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
My son nurses every hour for about twenty minutes and then in the evening he cluster feeds, so I am always camped out on the couch for four or five hours. He only comes off to burp or to get his diaper changed.

He does sleep for five or six hours at a time at night, though!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Bella nurses whenever she wants, usually around 12x per day, total.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Briana did that for the longest time and she is just now 6 months old and just now starting to go 1 1/2-2hrs between feedings and that is with introducing solids it doesn't slow her nursing down a bit. She might go 3hrs every great once in awhile but that is rare only at night will she go 5hrs with out nursing but after that is is back to about every 2hrs

·
Registered
163 Posts
DD nursed at least once an hour, around the clock, for her first 6 weeks. Nowadays we usually go 2 hours, sometimes less, with an occasional 3 hours between nursings.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
More than she did as a newborn, interestingly. I had one of those babies who didn't really comfort nurse much, and she just got down to business and was done. Around 5 months, she started nursing more and started waking to nurse at night (she'd been going 5 hours on her own since birth- I had to get out of bed and wake her up completely when she was a newborn for the first few weeks so she wouldn't go more than 4-5 hours!) Now she nurses 2-3 times a night and every 1-3 hours during the day... some days more than others.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Joseph is 7 months and nurses about 7-10 times in a 24 hour period. He is definitely a comfort nurser, he stays on one side sometimes up to an hour.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by quietserena View Post
Short answer: whenever she wants.

I had a doc tell me not to let her use me as a pacifier, and to try and space out her feedings and I did try for like a day (stupid, grr) but then I realized that we just do things on our own schedule.
Our ped told us the same thing and regretfully, we tried it too
: .

DS eats every hour for about 20 minutes. Before and after naps, he stays on the boob for about an hour. Before he goes to bed at night, he attaches himself for about two hours, coming off for burping, diaper changing, and air. He gets up every 2-3 hours at night to eat.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts