Mothering Forum banner

How many times does your co-sleeper wake you in a ~10 hour night, if even briefly?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By wake you up. I mean they need something from you-- not that they flailed or farted or cried out. And how old are they?

At three months DS had ONE night where he slept 6 hours straight.

After that he settled into a 4 hour, 3 hour, 3 hour schedule.

Then, at the 19 week old sleep regression, it was every 45 minutes for about a week. I felt crazy.

It then settled into an every 2 hours. It never got any better than that. Somehow I was learning to cope, but we just had the 26 week sleep regression and I'm now, well, I have very little patience in reserve (thus this post in light of my signature.
)

So we *seem* to be two nights away from this regression, but again, only because he's asleep for *maybe* two hours at a time.

No one told me co-sleeping would be quite like this. I've read the NCSS and it seems to suggest that having the boob so nearby has done this to him. I can't help but feel that if he had been in a crib he wouldn't have turned off the road that said "sleeping for progressively longer stretches." My five days of doing the NCSS plan w/ pop-off seemed to royally piss him off-- we'll try again later.

Please help?

ETA: If my primary concern was my sleep, I wouldn't be posting, though I wouldn't blame a mother who did. But my son is FTT, and I feel that if he could just sleep for longer stretches, and really truly relax at night, he might start gaining weight.

And the last option should really have "or more" at the end.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
It's biologically normal for a breastfed baby to wake every 2-3 hours to nurse. When you have teething, growth spurts, developmental breakthroughs and separation anxiety, they wake more often. Does it help at all to know your breastfed baby is very normal and healthy? And therefore you didn't do anything to cause this? It helped me to know that.

Are you able to nurse lying down? When I finally got the hang of that, I was able to get through the night nursings without waking up completely.

It also helped when I got rid of the clock in our room. And when I ditched the sleep books.

Hang in there. It does get better!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Like you I feel the same way. He probably would be sleeping longer if we just left him in the bassinet in our room. I am so tired I am depressed now! Literally.... BUT, cutting down on his nursing won't stop his waking up. Well, for us it didn't stop him. Even though we were persistent, he just ate when I let him, and got upset the other times I wouldn't let him. He was so confused, and I wasn't any better, so I now let him nurse as much as he wants, and I am going to a doc for the possible ppd that I have. I really think it is me and I can't turn off my brain. I never even GET to sleep, so my DS never really wakes me up...I am an insomniac! I will give an update later.

Before I know it and 'figure it all out', it will be time to nightwean anyway. Oh well.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Usually its 2 or 3 times, but sometimes, like this week... its ALL fricking night long. He is learning how to crawl... and he keeps flipping over in his sleep and trying to crawl.... its very cute, but I am TIRED!

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I said 2 because I wasn't sure how literally I should answer your question.

He wakes ME 2x night (way more the past 2 nights but that's not normal). But that's because I go to bed at 11. I nurse him when i go to bed and then at say 1 and 3 (the 2 wakings) and then we all wake up at 5:30 when DH gets up.. and then snooze/nurse on and off until 7.

But if you count *his* nightwakings. he goes down at 7 and then nurses usually once before we go to bed. Then once when we go to bed.. and then the other 2'ish while we're in bed.

Really it's every 2-3 hours. Or 2-4 on a good week/month.
:

ETA: most times it runs very smoothly. I barely wake to nurse him.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
His normal pattern now (at amost 10 months) is nurse to sleep at 7:30, nurse at 9:30 when I go to sleep, nurse at 1:30, nurse at 3:30, nurse at 5:30. The last week, he's been waking up for the day at 5:30 (except two days when he woke up at 7:30, his before "normal.") So, technically this week it's only been twice a night, but it still feels like three times a night b/c of the early waking!

Oh and last night he peed through two huge stuffed full pocket dipes... the stuffing was barely wet on one, I think they need to be stripped! UGH!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Regarding the FTT, my baby was tiny and barely gaining until she hit 4 months. Then she started filling out and 'catching up' and now she's beyond average, at 6 months. She's always eaten every 2.5 to 3 hours at night, occasionally will go longer, but that's about normal. I feed her laying down so neither one of us completely wakes up

·
Registered
487 Posts
I answered about twice, because our average night goes like this:

DD starts out in her own room, Because I *need* my own space/time at night to get computer time/ work done, etc.

She'll wake up at around midnight and when I go to get her, if she falls asleep in my arms, I lay her back in her crib ( I really DO sleep better without her in the bed, I have a really bad back that gets aggravated if she sleeps with me the whole night, we get in some crazy positions!

At some point in the wee hours of the morning she'll wake again, and when I go in to her she'll point at the door, so I'll bring her with me (this usually happens anytime between 3am and 5am).
She sleeps until about 7 from then on.

Oh, and she's almost 19 mos (And NEVER slept through the night yet!)

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
We're down to once or twice a night, but he's 2 now. When he was younger, it was far more often!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Why isn't there a more than 5 option? SIGH.........................

DS is 8 months BTW

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Well, I said 0...ds is almost 2. I nightweaned him around 15 months because I am pg and was exhausted, but before that he nursed 2-3 times a night and I barely noticed.
I did want to say that I had a hard time dealing with ds's sleep patterns from around 6-9 months (waking sometimes every hour) and I have to agree with the pp who said to get rid of the sleep books, they really made me crazy! Anyway, at the time we weren't actually co-sleeping full time and it didn't matter, he still woke frequently. Putting him into bed full time with us actually made it easier on me, although he didn't wake any less. I honestly don't think co-sleeping or having the breast close by contributes to nightwaking, I really think it has everything to do with the babe, but it does get better and easier!
Seriously, though, ditch the books!

·
Registered
392 Posts
It's like every 1 to 2 hours he eats at night... I need more sleep!

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Well, my older 3 cosleepers, never...lol...but my almost 1 yr. old nursling (in 3 days!) wakes me to nurse on average once per night, sometimes more, sometimes she sleeps straight through...but once is typical.

·
Registered
214 Posts
My son rarely wakes me at night now, but he's 25 months old and its only been in the last several months that he sleeps through the night. However, I'm expecting baby #2 any day now, so I expect to be up every couple hours again soon.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
My son is 14 weeks old, and he generally wakes me 3x a night. That is to say that he wakes up to eat 3 times between the hours of 9pm and 7:30am. I'm pretty happy with that!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
ds is 18mo and will wake up at the least 5 times a night. a few weeks ago dh fell asleep on the couch and i couldn't wake him so he slept there all night. that night ds slept through the WHOLE NIGHT!!! i started to notice that if i left dh asleep on the couch ds would always sleep through the night. dh snores like a freight train and he tosses and turns and beats his pillow and straitens the covers all night and it wakes ds up. so dh decided that he sleeps better on the couch (i poke and shove him to get him to stop snoring) and we are all sleeping better now.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.