Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been pt ecing dd since she was 3 months old. She's 7 months old now (today actually!). We have days where we go diaperless most of the day (like until dh gets home, he doesn't like holding a naked baby, although he is getting better and will take her potty!), and then days where we only ec once or twice. I don't usually watch the clock, I go by her cues, but it seems like lately she's only been going every 20 minutes or so, and previously she went every 30 minutes.
I'm just curious how often other babies her age go.

Also, I really *want* to do it full time, but gosh I'm so chicken! I had her diaper free the other day when I went to get quarters for laundry because we were actually out of dipes. Despite having JUST peed, she peed on the way to the store and I had to carry sopping wet baby.
It was funny. At least she had sweat pants on so she didn't *look* wet to everyone else. Its still a little chilly here, and we don't actually go out much (grocery shopping once a week, church, and dh's work for lunch is pretty much it for us)...but I need some encouragement/suggestions/etc.

Another thing, she doesn't really like the big potty much, and ds's potty (we didn't ec him, he p/t at 2y9m) is too big too, she HATES that thing. So what we've been doing is putting a prefold in her bouncer chair. Its the only time she ever sits in her bouncer, and its just briefly to go. But golly, its a LOT of laundry to do it that way, and I have to do our laundry at the apartment laundromat. So I guess I need some other ideas to get her on the big potty, or another little potty that she might tolerate. Any ideas? And she is 18lbs, not really fun on my back to hold her over the sink, plus she just ends up playing in the mirror instead.

Thank you!

·
Registered
899 Posts
:

ds was started on pt ec at 5 mom and now almost 7 mo. Really having trouble with crying over big potty w/ diff. positions and refusing diapers. Got him in training undies and he is wetting about 10 a day. Sometimes it seems he is peeing every 10 min, like in the am.
Last night was our second full time ec night, with a bucket. Three catches and one miss with a nakey but sleeping on padding, cosleep.

I am trying all kinds of new positions to get past his endless fickleness towards big potty.

Tried nakey but in the back yard (nearly 75 here today). No go
Offered pee inthe tub - no go
offered pee at the couch and catch in same bucket I used at night. Comfortable sitting there but no go!

reading 'diaper free' and hoping for a breakthrough. I have atleast realized he gets quiet when he has peed, or when he is peeing.... just not catching any daytime pees any more.

Would love to hear imput too

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Going full time EC doesn't = full time naked baby.
Frankly, we've always used a prefold with a cover to cut down on puddles and messes. At 1 yo we have lots of dry days and most others are 1-2 misses at Ds' preference so it really hasn't slowed us down.

We always held Ds but if he fussed a ton then offered a different 'potty' (the bathroom sink, toilet, potty bowl, etc). Or, we ended the pottyunity and put the diaper back on. Ds is going on 22lbs and we still hold him/rest him on the edge of the sink. We're only holding him 1 min or less usually so its not such a strain. Any longer than that and I consider he doesn't need to go. Playing in the mirror isn't a bad thing IMO. If you're sure Dc needs to go then its a good way to distract them and keep them there.

Ds went through a long phase where he really seemed to need the running water from the bathroom sink to help him relax and release his urine. Not for pooping though. For peeing we used warm water over his toes, sometimes I splashed some on his penis.

Ds also went through a phase where he would pee 4-6 times in the first hour after he woke in the morning. The rest of the day was more like 1xhour or less. I don't offer times when I don't think Ds will be receptive. For ex he needs a little while to wake up from a nap sometimes so I don't sweat the miss I know we'll have because I know he'd fuss/cry if I offered even if he did eventually go.

Gosh, I feel like I wrote a novel but I'm not even sure I answered your questions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.