Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend told me that his child who is now 10 was potty learned at 14 months.
I'm having a hard time believing him. Maybe after 10 years he got the age confused.
Or could he have his facts straight? Just curious.

·
Registered
226 Posts
My mom says I was around that age. Definitely before 18 months, because that was when my brother was born. She thinks it was closer to 16 months.
Doesn't seem like it is hereditary
My son has NO interest in using the toilet.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Head to the Elimination Communication subforum on the Diapering forum. There are many babies who are "potty learned" that young mainly because their parents ensure that they stay in touch with their elimination needs and cues from the start.

Check it out! It's pretty cool.

Kylix

·
Registered
510 Posts
my dad says I learned at the same time as my older sister, who was almost 2.5. that would have made me just under a year old. He said from that point i never soiled a diaper, though he kept me in them at night for about a year, they were always dry.

my daughter was finished around 2 years old, we started at 6 months with EC.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
My mom told me I was potty trained by 12 months -- she didn't force it, I just was a very anal child apparently and didn't like sitting in my own poop.

Our toddler's 14 months and we've got a potty for her and she sits on it sometimes, and pooped in it once, but we're in no rush, so whenever she's ready, we'll work on it. But I think having it there for them to be accustomed to is fine at an early age.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I used to work at a daycare center (and then later nannied for the family) and their little girl was pt at 14mos. They used to bring her out of the infant room to the bathroom.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
According to my exMIL both of her girls were completely potty-trained before they turned a year old and before they were walking, and apparently the fact that my kids were not makes me a horrible mother.

·
Registered
824 Posts
DS uses the potty 99% of the time. He has not had a night accident since about 12mo. He is 18.5mo now, but I would say he has been pretty much "trained" since he was about 16mo. He has even taken his doll to the potty!
We have been doing EC since he was about 2 weeks old.
My mom claims I was potty trained at 11mo, but I don't believe her.

·
Registered
11,593 Posts
My sister-in-law (who is now 20 years old) potty-learned on her first birthday on her own. She got new underwear as a birthday gift and peed in them as soon as they put them on her. She had a meltdown about getting her birthday clothes wet, and she used the potty from that day forward.

Or so the story goes.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
We did EC so ds was on the potty at 4 months pretty regularly and by a year he had a sign for having to poop. He still wore dipes every once in a while until about 20 months (mostly at night).

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep, the EC stories are great. We have been ECing from birth, but its been off with us. I guess I meant without EC. Amazing stories though. I'm really impressed. 16-month-old dd just started saying "poop." That's pretty exciting!!

·
Registered
560 Posts
My DD, Klara, is 16 mos and has been going pee on the potty whenever I take her for about a month. We use diapers almost all of the time, but when I go, she likes to go too :) We have a little potty on the floor and a seat that sits on the toilet, which she really likes. No pressure, I'm just making it available before we get in the shower, when I go to the bathroom and if she happens to NOT be wearing a diaper. I have to remind her that if she needs to go pee pee to go in the potty and watch her very closely so that she doesnt' pee on my carpet :)

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
I was around a year old, and so were my brother, sister, and niece. We were all semi- ec'd, though. DD started peeing on the potty at around 15 months (not walking yet!) and pooing at around 18 months. By 20 months she was mostly out of day time diapers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.