Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
On one hand, I'm so happy that she will be able to feel the joy of motherhood. On the other, I don't know how well a 67yo woman will be able to keep up with 2 newborns (lack of sleep, all the other physical strains motherhood brings), or chase 2 active toddlers, etc when she's 70...And by the time they are 15, she'll be 82, if she lives that long. I dunno....I wouldn't do it, just because I don't know that I could be the kind of mother my kids would need if I were that old.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Quote:
How old is too old to have a baby?
When you can't. If a woman's body can conceive, then so be it. Before contraception, there would have been little choice.

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
It seems like an irresponsible move on the Doc's part.

I'm all for ART.... but shouldn't there be limits? then again, who places the limits? What if someone decides that 35 is too old for ART? then I'd be out of luck.

I guess this is just her choice, we may not agree with it.... but that is the joy of choice.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
My grandparents (my children's great grandparents) are in that age range. In fact, my grandmother just died (from cancer) at 65 this past October so it's hard for me to be objective. On one hand I say "good for her, everyone deserves to be a mother" but on the other hand I feel like she may be making her children suffer in the long run.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calm
When you can't. If a woman's body can conceive, then so be it. Before contraception, there would have been little choice.
I agree w/ this, but the thing is, she wouldn't be pregnant now w/o infertility treatments. So, IMO she is too old. (Not saying that anyone using infertility treatments is too old, but this lady should be past menopause by now, or so you'd think.)

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
For women in general, I'd say menopause. If you've stopped ovulating due to your age, there's probably a reason for that.

For myself only, if I don't have another by 30, I'm getting my tubes tied. I started early (19), I wanna be done early. LOL

·
Registered
972 Posts
I would say menopause. There is a reason our bodies limit the time we are able to conceive children.

I have yet to decide a personal limit. Other than DH keeps saying this is the last one and he wants to get clipped.....but he said that after our son was born also.

·
Registered
12,302 Posts
How much joy is she gonna have when she is lying in the hospital dying and her kids aren't grown up yet?
I wish she had adopted especially since there are so many orphans in Romania and they have closed out of country adoptions!

·
Registered
12,302 Posts
Further more:
How safe is that, A DECADE OF FERTILITY TREATMENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The majority of which probbably haven't been entirely proven to be safe, and she's having twins. It sounds a little on the dangerous side, I have to agree menapouse(sp? im too lazy right now) happens for a reason!
On top of that you know she birth experience will be highly doctor regulated, i.e. Lots of medical intervention.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
I probably should have read the article first.

So now, I think it is a little, hmmm, not quite right. I have heard of natural pregnancy in the sixties and seventies though, and even though it is the same age, I don't know if manipulating nature like this case is a good idea. I wish the best for her and her children, though. I just wouldn't follow her lead.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.