Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Well the question sums it up.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am really curious as to how many of you out there do extended RF. DS is 2y5mo almost & DH keeps giving me a hard time for keeping him RF.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I dont want to get into the pros & cons of extended RF bec that is for another area of the forum. I just am interested in the age you went/are planning to go FF.</p>
<p>Thanks</p>

·
Registered
527 Posts
<p>DDis 25 mo and still RF.  She is super tall (97th percentile) so she does have to bend her legs.  But she doesn't mind/care so we have no plans to flip her any time soon. </p>

·
Registered
886 Posts
<p>DS is 2.5 and still rear-facing, if I can fit 2 rear-facing in my tiny Honda Fit (baby is arriving in March), he will stay rear-facing until he outgrows his Radian 80.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I figure driving around is the most dangerous thing we do, so rea-facing is very important to me.</p>

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
<p>My daughter will be 2 next month and will rear face until she outgrows the ability to do so in her current seat. :)</p>

·
Registered
568 Posts
<p>My almost 2.5 year old is still RFing.  I plan to keep him that way until either his younger sibling is ready for the seat or when he outgrows it and since he lasted in his bucket till around 13-14 months old, he'll be nearly 4 when we FF him.  FF might come sooner in my car since my seat only goes to 35lbs.  He's maybe 26lbs right now.  He doesn't mind at all. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I don't know anyone IRL who extended RF.  It seems like everyone at daycare FF their child unless they are still an infant.</p>

·
Registered
4 Posts
<p>My son just turned 2 and he is rear facing. I am getting a hard time from family too but I won't get into that even though I really want to vent and tell you what they said and I said back, LOL</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I plan to keep him rear facing until he outgrows his seat.</p>

·
Registered
834 Posts
<p>We turned my son FF when he was about 16 months in preparation for his little sister (there was no way we could fit 2 RF car seats in my car).</p>

·
Registered
382 Posts
<p>My son is 32 mos old and still rf'ing. We have no plans to flip him. He is happy and really small so being somehow "uncomfortable" (to quote a woman at my daycare) isn't even an issue.</p>

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
<p>15 mo and RFing. Don't plan to turn her until at least 2 probably longer unless there is some unforeseen circumstance.</p>

·
Registered
154 Posts
<p>we turned our son around as soon as he met the minimum age and weight requirements to be FF. He absolutely hated rear-facing and would scream the entire time we were in the car. Turning him around completely solved that problem.</p>

·
Registered
681 Posts
<p>DS is 26 months and still RF.  He's getting close to outgrowing the seat RF by height.  (He's almost 1 inch from the top of the shell.  Weight wise he's ok.  He's 30 lb and it goes to 35).  But I'm planning to get another seat so he can RF longer.  I figure by that time DS2 will be ready to be out of the bucket, and then we'll need another convertible car seat by then anyway.  If I didn't have to buy another seat, I'd probably just turn DS1 when he outgrew the seat, but since I have to buy another one, I'm going to get one that ensures he can RF even longer.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My dad recently was giving me a hard time about having DS1 rearfacing.  I really don't understand why he cares which way DS1 faces.  He never has to drive him anywhere.  My husband would probably turn DS1 if he had his way, but he knows better than to start the argument with me :)  He probably just figures it's easier to keep DS1 RF than to try to convince me otherwise. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I know 1 person IRL that does extended RF.  I also know a bunch of people with babies younger than mine, so we'll see if they end up turning their babies at 1 year of age. </p>

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
<p>my 19 month old is barely at the 20lb mark, so she's definately RFing. I'm going to keep her that way until she outgrows her MR, and I'm thinking that when we get our second convertible seat we may get one that can RF a little taller, though she isn't tall. </p>

·
Registered
192 Posts
<p>25 months and still rear facing here.  We plan to purchase another car seat that will allow us to rear face longer once she outgrows the RF limit on her current seat.  She is tall but likes to put her feet up on the back of the seat.</p>

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
<p>Unless your kid is screaming his head off in the carseat, what exactly does your dh think turning him will accomplish? Does he have some sort of evidence that it would be safer for your ds to turn FF?</p>

·
Registered
770 Posts
<p>dd1 is 3.5 years old and RF, dd2 is 22 months and RF.  they will still that way until a minimum of 4 years of age; after that, i will discuss their preferences with them.  at this point, they both prefer to be RF.  we had to have dd1 FF one day while in my mom's car and she asked to be turned around the whole time.  </p>
<p>people IRL think we are a little strange ( i don't know a single person who has their kids RF past 1 year and 20lbs) but that doesn't bother me.  i parent based on what i believe to be best for my kids.</p>

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
<p>DD will be 2 next month. She's RF. She is only 21 pounds though. I won't turn her for a LOOONG time. Our seat goes to 35 pounds. I suspect she'll outgrow in height before weight.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>People comment to me too. I had one friend who's son is the same age as DD say "wow, I know its safer but I can't believe you haven't turned her around yet." So even if they know its safer most people turn their kids at the 1 year/20 pound mark. I don't really get it.</p>

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
<p>even our mainstream pedi is recommending 2 years old now. The crash test videos themselves are enough to keep me from turning him.</p>

·
Registered
15 Posts
<p>My 18 month old Daughter is RF, and will be or as long as possible. None of my friends ERF and I have no idea why you wouldn't, it's 5 times safer!</p>

·
Registered
610 Posts
<p>I have an 11 month old obviously still RFing. I'll keep her RFing until she starts to not want to, probably around 2. 27 month old is FF now. She RFd until 2. DD1 was FF, and DD2 wanted to be like her sister. She threw fits and always wanted to sit in sisters car seat.</p>

1 - 20 of 131 Posts