Mothering Forum banner

At what age did your DC stop co-sleeping?

• After 3rd birthday

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • After 4th birthday

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • After 5th birthday

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • After 6th birthday

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • After 7th birthday and on

Votes: 7 22.6%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oldest is 4 and showing no signs of giving up co-sleeping. Was wondering what the "norm" out there is.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Norm? We probably are NOT the norm, but I'll tell you how our family works...

ds is 2 and still cosleeps. I plan to at least move him to a bed beside mine before April so we're ready for the new baby. Our 9 year old (yes 9) is back in our room on a couch. She had moved back into her room about 6 months ago but when her granny died she had terrible depression and fear issues so we let her back in. As soon as we get her room picked back up (it's a disaster area) we are putting her back in her room. I actually told her when she was 7 that when she was ready to go sleep in her room I would remodel it and make it really girly if she would agree to sleep in there. All went well until her granny passed. I may be a different kind of person, but I really feel safer with all the kids in the room together. I'm in really no hurry. Sex doesn't have to be in the bedroom, so that issue is taken care of.

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
DD1 is almost 4 as well, she talk about sleeping in her own bed when she is "much, much bigger". I think that translates to several more years.

·
Registered
319 Posts
my dd wanted her own bed a bit after she turned 3. that said, she often is with me and ds at night now. i am not sure when ds will want to transition. i hope it's not too soon, however, as we only *have* a 2 bedroom house

·
Registered
641 Posts
I kicked DD1 out at 5. My now DH (her stepfather) was uncomfortable with having her share a bed with us when he started living with us. DD2 is going to be 3 on Saturday, and so far she is still in here. We have a toddler bed up to the side of our bed and she sleeps in it 25% of the time.

·
Premium Member
11,209 Posts
Ten or eleven, I think... she slept with me occasionally at 12, but mostly not. One night so far at 13.

Dar

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
That's tough to answer.
My kids both still do from time to time. DS1 moreso (he's 6). DS2 (4) still does occasionally. But that's rare. They both have their own beds and always have but didn't use them much until they were each about 3 maybe.

They both come into my bed very early each morning and fall back asleep until it's time to get up. It's so cute. One will come, and I know that the other is sure to follow within 5 minutes.
That usually happens between 4-7am.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I suppose it all depends on the definition of 'stopping.'

Dd has chosen for the past few months to spend the majority of nights in her bed. Hence, I would say she has 'stopped' cosleeping. In practice, however, she still sleeps with us at least one night a week, and she frequently comes into bed with us whenever she wakes up - usually an hour or so before her brother & I wake.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I didn't vote because both my children still co-sleep. DH and I would actually like to make a tatami room (like the Japanese have) where we just almost cover the floor with futons and pillows. Honestly, we never really see us not co-sleeping with our children. . .well, except for when they go to college

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
My oldest was about 3 1/2 or 4 but she slept in her toddler bed at the foot of our bed & would crawl in with us in the early am, until she was 5 1/2. Our little dd is 3 1/2 & has no interest in sleeping in her own bed.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
My oldest requested a bed in his own room when he was almost 4. Since then, he sleeps in it most nights, though he still joins us occasionally.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
well, there's no option for me there... DD moved out on her own at about 18 months... she just declared that she wanted her own bed, and that was that. DS is looking like he'll never leave though

·
Registered
467 Posts
My daughters made easy transitions to their own beds in their own rooms at ages 3 and 2 respectively. Actually dd2 moved into the bottom bunk in her sister's room at almost 2.5. However dd1 still frequently comes to the big bed in the middle of the night or around dawn. I don't mind, and in fact feel more comfortable being close together. I like the idea of having a sleeping room; I wish dh agreed.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I voted for my oldests (the after seven option). Im not sure when he would have moved had it not been for necessity. For awhile we only had one bedroom. When he was about nine or ten, he had his own room and would alternatley fall asleep, in his room, in my room, in the living room. Our rooms were close and I left the doors open. When he fell asleep in the living room I often just slept in there too. When he was 11 and we moved in with dh, dh thought ds was too old to sleep with us, though he still did if he watched a scary movie or something. He is 15 now and still occasionally come in first thing in the morning if he is feeling sick and will crawl into bed with me after dh has gone to work, or even curl up on the floor or stay in my bed with the little ones after Ive gotten up.

dd is three and a half and just a few months ago stopped nursing and started sleeping through the night. Since then, she has spent the night in a toddler bed pushed up against our bed. The other night it was cold so I put her into the big bed and she woke up and demanded to be back in "her" bed. She has a big bed in her own room and lately has taken to falling asleep in there, but I still move her because the one time I left her there, she woke up when dh was getting ready for work (probally the noise and smells from the kitchen) and was wandering around the livingroom crying for me and I never heard her, dh put her back into the toddler bed.

DS2 still cosleeps(22mos)

eta:personally I would like for all of us to always sleep in the same room, it makes me feel more secure, because I can check on everyone so easily.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
once my kids were 2 they each had their own rooms but rarely used them for sleeping. we put mattresses on either side of our bed and my dd slept in hers until she was 12 or 13 when she decided to start using her room. My ds was about 8 when he started sleeping in the living room . My daughters boyfriends mom is using his room now but as soon as she leaves I think he will start using it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.