Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was in the planning stages of my pregnancy (babe is now a month old) I greatly improved my diet: I went to eating organic whole foods, prepared in my kitchen. Nothing processed. No meat. Very little dairy. No soda. No coffee. No sugar, etc.

Now that I've had the baby I've started to relax a bit, but I'm not enjoying it (less-than-nutritious foods) like I thought I would. Tonight, for instance, I was craving cookie dough ice cream. I took the trouble of strapping on the baby and going out to buy some. I ate a bowl and now I feel like crap. My mood is depressed, bored, and slightly agitated and I know it's from the dessert. It's like my body is too unaccustomed to the sugar or something. Is anyone else so strongly affected this way? I LOVE ice cream, but it's getting to the point where it's not worth eating because I feel so awful the rest of the evening. It's not a lactose intolerance thing, this happens when I indulge in anything with a lot of sugar, salt, caffiene...all things that I know to be bad for me. It's not a guilt thing either (though sometimes I do feel a little guilty), but a pronounced physically reaction. I always heard that food affected mood, but never realised it could be like this!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yes, I have noticed a similar thing. I have been eating a lot healthier for a while now, and I have found I feel really awful if I eat food colouring, artificial additives etc.
It's good because I'm more in tune with what food my body needs and I'm healthier as a result, but it's bad because I can't tolerate cheap chocolate anymore. I need the expensive stuff! :LOL

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Even before we changed our diet we noticed how some foods would make us feel bad. McDonald's in one that comes to mind. We rarely ate there, but on those occasions when it was the handiest and closest thing we would go in for a burger...and pay dearly afterwards with neusia and bloating. I notice that when I eat something sweet and my blood sugars get out of balance I get cranky and tired. However, I have also noticed how some healthy foods effect me negativly. Breads and grains weigh me down, bloat me and I gain weight when I eat even small amounts of them. Dairy was giving me a phantom cramp in my gutt (you know the kind that makes you wonder if you have serious problems in there, but don't want to go to the doctor because you know she'll think you're crazy), but I used to eat a lot of dairy. I stopped with the grains and up'd my fruit and vegie intake, and eliminated cow's dairy. I lost tons of weight and I don't have those phantom pains in my tummy any more.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I'm VERY sensitive to what I eat. It sucks.
I think most people are, but they don't know it. I honestly believe that most of the common ailments people have could be cured by diet changes. Unfortunately, most people would rather just take drugs.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi

I too react to some foods more than others. I can tolerate Milk and Yogurt only later in the day. I don't know why but if I eat or drink it in the morning I'm sick for the rest of the day. Chocolate same thing.

Wheat makes me sick too. I get bloated to the point of having difficulty breathing from all the pressure on my stomach. What puzzles me is that it doesn't affect me all the time. It comes and goes.

I think once you have kinda cleaned out your body by way of changing your diet your body reacts even more to the not so good for you stuff.

Cinnamon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts